Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Funny sighting at Hawthorne supercharger today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

FredTMC

Model S VIN #4925
Dec 26, 2012
Orange County CA
Friend of mine saw this woman in a Leaf pull into a supercharger stall today.

You'd think that any Leaf owner would know that the SCs are "tesla only". So, maybe she was driving a company car... I hope she got to a charge station okay, I'm sure Tesla or Spacex would've let her use a 240 outlet on property if she was really low on charge.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.1 KB · Views: 5,863
Friend of mine saw this woman in a Leaf pull into a supercharger stall today.

You'd think that any Leaf owner would know that the SCs are "tesla only". So, maybe she was driving a company car... I hope she got to a charge station okay, I'm sure Tesla or Spacex would've let her use a 240 outlet on property if she was really low on charge.

I feel so bad for the driver. Obviously didn't know any better.

My first guess is that her Nav directed her there (& it's not her car). One touch on the little:wink:screen brings up all the known EV chargers within the car's current range. But maybe NOT just the ones that WORK with the car!

I feel bad for the people who are probably really uncomfortable driving electric to begin with (must be one of their first times) and then to likely feel so totally frustrated not knowing what to do when the plug doesn't fit. No one explained that part to them, I'm sure. And in her case, if there is a Leaf EVSE nearby, someone might have told her 'near Tesla'.

I hope someone helped her out quickly and the experience didn't sour her on EVs ...

Nice to see that a number(the majority?) of responses here were sympathetic.

While we might also chuckle at it, it does illustrate a couple of things:

1) All of us driving BEV's are in a similar boat: it's still a bit of a wild frontier when it comes to public charging, and the more options/assistance available to us, the better. That includes helping one another out (I second the person who mentioned Nissan dealerships allowing us to charge...I've benefited from that myself).

2) Incompatible standards for "refueling" are still problematic. With the scarcity of public options, it would be nice if things eventually as standardized as current gas stations, where you don't really have to think about it TOO much (diesel being the notable exception). While there are other threads regarding the competing standards initiatives, I understand why Tesla chose to go their own way... maybe everyone else will eventually license Tesla's design. ;)

3) Elon has stated that his goal was to spawn the electric car revolution/industry.. that means he recognizes there will always be room for multiple manufacturers and designs... he wants them to succeed, and we should too.

wow, thats a tiny frunk!

Made my day!

Nice to see that a number(the majority?) of responses here were sympathetic.

While we might also chuckle at it, it does illustrate a couple of things:

1) All of us driving BEV's are in a similar boat: it's still a bit of a wild frontier when it comes to public charging, and the more options/assistance available to us, the better. That includes helping one another out (I second the person who mentioned Nissan dealerships allowing us to charge...I've benefited from that myself).

2) Incompatible standards for "refueling" are still problematic. With the scarcity of public options, it would be nice if things eventually as standardized as current gas stations, where you don't really have to think about it TOO much (diesel being the notable exception). While there are other threads regarding the competing standards initiatives, I understand why Tesla chose to go their own way... maybe everyone else will eventually license Tesla's design. ;)

3) Elon has stated that his goal was to spawn the electric car revolution/industry.. that means he recognizes there will always be room for multiple manufacturers and designs... he wants them to succeed, and we should too.

Very well said! +1

What a great opportunity you had to play the Good Soldier....

At any rate, this experience suggests it would be in Tesla's great interest to place conspicuously at all SpC's an informative sign gently suggesting where non-Tesla EVs might find the nearest appropriate charger, or to a local tourist info site, for example, for leads on same.

I can't see why the Tesla charger can't have a slot in it were you can charge other EV for a fee. Maybe $2.00 an hour or $3.00 a 1/2 hour. I know if I was driving a non Tesla prod and I was stuck with 15 miles left, I would pay $5.00 for another 30 miles. Heck that is almost cheaper than GAS. I can see were Gas stations are going to jump on that idea soon. They charge for AIR now. $1.00 a min in my area..

I can't see why the Tesla charger can't have a slot in it were you can charge other EV for a fee. Maybe $2.00 an hour or $3.00 a 1/2 hour. I know if I was driving a non Tesla prod and I was stuck with 15 miles left, I would pay $5.00 for another 30 miles. Heck that is almost cheaper than GAS. I can see were Gas stations are going to jump on that idea soon. They charge for AIR now. $1.00 a min in my area..
I can think of lots of reasons why Tesla doesn't do that, both business and electrical, but it's really a moot point because most superchargers are located outside major metropolitan areas beyond the range of a Leaf or other EVs. They couldn't get to it and if they did they couldn't get to the next one.