Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Missed Connections....My Model S story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
New poster, taking delivery of Model S 85 on March 27th, can't wait!

My Model S story and missed connection-

I've long been a Porsche fan, and had intended to pick up a 911 as a treat for myself to replace my trusty commuter compact sedan. However, when baby arrived, that made practicality a bit of a concern even though we had purchased a Range Rover sport for my wife as primary baby carrier. This consternation regarding practicality led to about a year's worth of hmms/haas, sleepless nights and good old fashioned First World Problems as to which car to get.

After test driving (in no particular order);
BMW 3/5/7/M3
Mercedes E350c/E63AMG
Porsche 911/Panamera
Audi a6/a7/a8
Lexus gs350
Infiniti m35

I was left more confused than ever, and no nearer any decision. One day would be "ok, that's it, I'm just getting the 911 and will deal with it"and then the next day "ok, the 911 is too impractical to drive so much, and too uncomfortable for commuting. I'm getting an A8 to float around in". Needless to say, my wife was fed up.

One fine day, we were in a plaza in Mississauga near Starsky's on Dundas, and there was a gentleman with (if memory serves correctly) a Black MS who was measuring his roof. I jokingly asked if he was selling his car, to which he replied "No way, I'm measuring it to get a roof rack, this is an incredible car, revolutionary".

Getting back into our car, my wife said "Why don't you just get that car? It's 100k, but you won't have to pay for gas anymore, and you can use the HOV lane." And then it hit me like a tonne of bricks. This was my car!!

We literally drove immediately to Yorkdale mall to the Tesla booth, had a look/sit and booked a test drive for the next day. We showed up for the test drive, had a blast, and then put the deposit down on a MS 85, Green with tan, tech, pano, dual chargers.

So thanks to that gentleman, my year's worth of anxiety was solved and put to rest in less than 48hours! I am excited and giddy as ever for delivery, but my wife now has to deal with the incessant "Did you know the superchargers are gonna be up along the 401 in a few months???" and "There's a guy on the forum that makes these cool light up T emblems to install, I might get one" etc etc ad nauseum.

One other good thing, is that my wife now seems pretty interested in the Model X to replace the RRS (which I think got it's cables crossed somewhere and somehow thinks that gas is the most renewable resource on earth), so I'm trying to convince her to let me put a deposit down soon!

Looking forward to joining the club!

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story.

I'm a little confused on one aspect of your story.

I've long been a Porsche fan, and had intended to pick up a 911 as a treat for myself....
Getting back into our car, my wife said "Why don't you just get that car? It's 100k, but you won't have to pay for gas anymore, and you can use the HOV lane." And then it hit me like a tonne of bricks. This was my car!!

We literally drove immediately to Yorkdale mall to the Tesla booth, had a look/sit and booked a test drive for the next day. We showed up for the test drive, had a blast, and then put the deposit down on a MS 85, Green with tan, tech, pano, dual chargers.
The wife greenlighted 100k, and you originally were thinking Porsche 911. But you held back on Performance. I understand (a number of reasons for) passing on Plus, but Performance?

To everyone else: I sound like Tex now, I'm aware.

my wife now seems pretty interested in the Model X to replace the RRS

my P85 replaced my Range Rover Evoque. I had so many problems with that RR which ended up being lemoned. Anywho, the P85 actually has much more storage space than the RR did. And I was only averaging 19mpg using premium fuel. I have 37,500 miles on my P85 already and I've only had it for 11 months. 37,500/19mpg*$4.00/gallon premium fuel = ~$7894 in gas that I saved in 11 months. It's actually more savings than that because I also save another $233 in ezpass tolls per month too (green pass).

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for sharing your story.

I'm a little confused on one aspect of your story.

The wife greenlighted 100k, and you originally were thinking Porsche 911. But you held back on Performance. I understand (a number of reasons for) passing on Plus, but Performance?

To everyone else: I sound like Tex now, I'm aware.

A great question, to which I don't have a great answer I'm afraid. The thoughts at the time centered around safety in regards to my wife driving it, the wheels/tire size and also wife saying I would never use the "performance" part (I talked her into the supercharged version of the RR and apparently never use it). Should I have gotten the performance? Maybe, but I'm sure I'll be more than happy with what I get!
On a side note, that same day I put the deposit down I was chatting with a colleague at work, and I told him what happened and he had the exact same "Eureka!" moment and is in the process of ordering his! I think he's going for the P85 though....

my P85 replaced my Range Rover Evoque. I had so many problems with that RR which ended up being lemoned. Anywho, the P85 actually has much more storage space than the RR did. And I was only averaging 19mpg using premium fuel. I have 37,500 miles on my P85 already and I've only had it for 11 months. 37,500/19mpg*$4.00/gallon premium fuel = ~$7894 in gas that I saved in 11 months. It's actually more savings than that because I also save another $233 in ezpass tolls per month too (green pass).

Exactly! I'll be saving around $8500 in gas + ~$2-300 in 407 bills now that I can use the HOV lane. So far (knock on wood), no issues with the RRS....

New poster, taking delivery of Model S 85 on March 27th, can't wait!

My Model S story and missed connection-

I've long been a Porsche fan, and had intended to pick up a 911 as a treat for myself to replace my trusty commuter compact sedan. However, when baby arrived, that made practicality a bit of a concern even though we had purchased a Range Rover sport for my wife as primary baby carrier. This consternation regarding practicality led to about a year's worth of hmms/haas, sleepless nights and good old fashioned First World Problems as to which car to get.

After test driving (in no particular order);
BMW 3/5/7/M3
Mercedes E350c/E63AMG
Porsche 911/Panamera
Audi a6/a7/a8
Lexus gs350
Infiniti m35

I was left more confused than ever, and no nearer any decision. One day would be "ok, that's it, I'm just getting the 911 and will deal with it"and then the next day "ok, the 911 is too impractical to drive so much, and too uncomfortable for commuting. I'm getting an A8 to float around in". Needless to say, my wife was fed up.

One fine day, we were in a plaza in Mississauga near Starsky's on Dundas, and there was a gentleman with (if memory serves correctly) a Black MS who was measuring his roof. I jokingly asked if he was selling his car, to which he replied "No way, I'm measuring it to get a roof rack, this is an incredible car, revolutionary".

So thanks to that gentleman, my year's worth of anxiety was solved and put to rest in less than 48hours! I am excited and giddy as ever for delivery, but my wife now has to deal with the incessant "Did you know the superchargers are gonna be up along the 401 in a few months???" and "There's a guy on the forum that makes these cool light up T emblems to install, I might get one" etc etc ad nauseum.

One other good thing, is that my wife now seems pretty interested in the Model X to replace the RRS (which I think got it's cables crossed somewhere and somehow thinks that gas is the most renewable resource on earth), so I'm trying to convince her to let me put a deposit down soon!

Looking forward to joining the club!

I love your story and your thought process...........you are a smart guy! AFTER 11 MONTHS WITH OUR MS, 18K MILES, NO GAS OR SERVICE COSTS, LOTS OF SUPERCHARGING AND SOLAR AT HOME, MY WIFE CAN'T WAIT FOR HER RED GEN 3(we don't need an SUV since kids are long gone).............her 99 MB CLK convertible just needs to hang on for another 2-3 years

Personal opinion....but I think you will love the P85 or the P85+....myself coming from Porsche lineage, enjoy the stiffer suspension, performance at your beacon call.....So, I think it's worth the money to go for the P85 or the +....you won't regret the performance the the Tesla "grinn" when you get behind the wheel.

Unlike the RRS, you will be burning a hole in your wallet everytime you decide to step on the piddle. I know I do....and we still have a Cayenne S which my wife drives.

Give it a thought....Tesla is always willing to upgrade you on the package (within a certain amount of time before production).

Congrats again on your purchase!

Great story, great decision, with or without the roof racks! Re the wife: mine has a saying... "infinite patience" that she reminds me she exercises often.

Re the P, there are so many "go P, go P+" posters that I almost feel I have to defend the normal S. It is such a fantastic car. Once the <interminable> wait is over, enjoy!!

We are a Tesla/Porsche family too. Hubby has been driving a 911 Turbo for the past few years. When I decided to get the MS, he would not let me get less than the P85. I am so glad he did. I never cared for performance until I actually got it (I used to be a loyal Lexus owner). And guess who drives my MS every chance he gets now? He still loves his porsche, but it cannot carry the loads the Tesla does and costs so much to drive!