Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Alternative to EVSE Adapter from cost perspective

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am learning so much from the forum. I wanted to know about extension cords and then came to know that I will also need adapters from say NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 14-50 which can be added at one end of the cord and then this can go in dryer plug. So far only place where I am seeing adapters is http://evseadapters.com/adapters-for-tesla-model-s.php This looks like a good site. However cost starts from $55. If we buy few types of adapters, I am seeing spending ~$150 for adapters and then $104 for the cord at Amazon. Just wanted to know if folks are able to find adapters cheaper else where. If yes where?

I am learning so much from the forum. I wanted to know about extension cords and then came to know that I will also need adapters from say NEMA 14-30 to NEMA 14-50 which can be added at one end of the cord and then this can go in dryer plug. So far only place where I am seeing adapters is http://evseadapters.com/adapters-for-tesla-model-s.php This looks like a good site. However cost starts from $55. If we buy few types of adapters, I am seeing spending ~$150 for adapters and then $104 for the cord at Amazon. Just wanted to know if folks are able to find adapters cheaper else where. If yes where?

I went to the local electrical supply shop (and Home Depot) and bought SOOW cable, and some plugs/recepticals. My adapters are twistlock to whatever and it is all 30A so I use a NEMA 10-30 plug adapter for my UMC. Total cost was about $300. For a 65' extension cord and a 14-50 and 10-30 adapter for my extension cord.

DIY I got exactly what I want.

You don't need an adapter to use a dryer plug. EVs do not use the neutral. I purchased a 14-50 extension cord (from Amazon) and cut the neutral off. Now I can use it in 14-50 or 14-30. If you do this, remember to set the charge level in the car at 80% of the circuit.

And because you do not need the neutral wire, you can use a 6-50 extension cord with the correct adapters. Saving one wire in extension cords this large, makes a big difference in weight, cost, and flexibility.

For example: Coleman Cable 1917 8/3 STW 6-50 Welder Extension Cord, Blue, 25-Feet - Amazon.com

Am I right in assuming that the comments about not needing a neutral wire apply solely to 3-phase?

In the UK I am pretty sure that connecting between live and earth on a single phase supply would immediately trip the protective RCD switches which have to be installed on this kind of equipment.

Am I right in assuming that the comments about not needing a neutral wire apply solely to 3-phase?

In the UK I am pretty sure that connecting between live and earth on a single phase supply would immediately trip the protective RCD switches which have to be installed on this kind of equipment.

Quite the contrary. Neutral is required when 3phase but not in U.S.

Cutting the neutral off a 14-50 plug, there remains 2 hot (L1, L2) and ground. U.S. residential grid has L1 & L2 as split phase at +/- 120V versus neutral, giving 240VAC. The U.S. spec chargers draw 5 to 80 amps on 240V.

3 phase will not work without neutral in most cases, especially not with Model S EU chargers. The charger draws 230V on every L1, L2, and L3 against (N)eutral. Or L1 against N if single phase household adapter is used.

As always, should you modify a cord by cutting a neutral conductor off, label it clearly "for Tesla charging only". Otherwise, if that cord is ever used for an RV, it will likely destroy most of the appliances in it.

Interesting, any issues doing that? Which cord did you get?

I'm looking at this one:
Amazon.com: Camco 55194 50 AMP 15 PowerGrip Extension Cord: Automotive

Two things you should be concerned about: remember that the charging current setting isn't foolproof. Updates, a differently sensed location (my home tends to have 3 different GPS locations saved), and charge current reduction can end up resetting the saved current parameters. You're taking a risk by using this plug in a 14-30.

Second, if that cord is ever used on an RV, it's highly likely that you'll destroy about half the appliances in it because RV's that use 50-amp plugs absolutely NEED the neutral.