Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Ford Focus EV = Model S competition ???!???

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
AutoBlogGreen reported in January that the Ford Focus EV was targeted to have a 100 mile range, 0-60mph in 10 seconds, top speed electronically limited to 95mph, 450 lb. weight penalty vs. regular Focus and use a Magna developed EV drive train with li-ion and a single speed tranny. If it's the same as the drive train shown in the Mila, then it uses a 67hp (50kW) motor. While not exactly a Model S competitor, it might compete with the Bluestar and is certainly an EV to watch.

ABG Quick Drive: Ford Focus EV mule [w/VIDEO]

Last edited:
In the absence of a mid-range market offering from Ford, or for that matter Nissan, Model S would pull a lot of those buyers up-market. If there are EV sedans on the market for around $40K then they will impinge on the market for the low-end Model S, which we can assume will be around $65K at the lowest.

A bit like now where a fully loaded Honda Insight is about the same as a base Prius. Some people might go for the lower end vehicle but with more add ons.

I thought the article was off base to compare the Focus to the Model S, but I suppose if you put every possible option on the Focus it might have something desirable not found on the base Model S.

Even the base Model S will still have more range, comfort, space, style and other things that put it in a different league.

I don't see how the Focus EV will be comparable to the Model S ever. If it was a Fusion EV or a Taurus EV I can see the comparison, but the sizes of the two aren't even close.

Though I will say there's a good chance I'll be looking at the Focus EV if the Bluestar isn't out yet. Hopefully it comes in a 5 door hatch version.

I've heard poeple say if there is a car with at least the size of the Prius, seats 4-5 people and can drive over 100 miles there is a market. In other words a normal practical family car for a family of 2-4 people. For that segment I would say the Focus EV is competing with the Model S in the same way you can say a BMW 3 is competing with a Focus. No doubt the 3-series is faster and "better" but it also carries a higher price...

Cobos

And the Model S is much more like a 5 series or even a 7 series. For that price you can probably buy 4-5 Fusions :eek: And the Fusion is a much smaller car that the Model S. I agree that there may be a HUGE demand for the BEV Fusion but competition for the Model S ?!?!?!?! No.

And the Model S is much more like a 5 series or even a 7 series. For that price you can probably buy 4-5 Fusions :eek: And the Fusion is a much smaller car that the Model S. I agree that there may be a HUGE demand for the BEV Fusion but competition for the Model S ?!?!?!?! No.

We don't have a price point yet...hold your horses. If this thing comes in at the MiEV price, look out!

True but I was using the price point of an ICE Fusion. If it was substantially different I think they would give it its own model name. But you are correct in that I am assuming that it will basically be the same car as the current Fusion. Perhaps my assumption will be wrong. We all what happens when we assume ....

2002_ford_focus_zx5.jpg

3387753757_f5ab39dcc5.jpg

I don't think those pictures give an accurate depiction of the cars sizes relative to each other.

They definitely don't. The extra large wheels on the Model S prototype give it a distorted size perception in pictures without the context of other vehicles actually parked next to it. The focus has much smaller wheels by comparison which makes the body seem bigger than it really is when compared to Model S prototype photos.