Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Does your Model S fit in your garage?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a "standard" two car garage. I am concerned that the Model S and my wife's Prius V will not easily fit in the garage together. By "easily" I mean be able to comfortably open doors, etc. when both cars are in the garage. The measurements on paper seem to work out, but looking at the car it seems like it's wider than specs state (77" with mirrors folded).

So I'm curious how folks with "standard" two car garages (and two "standard sized cars") are faring?

My MS fits snugly with my wife's Highlander in a standard 2-car garage. It's a bit tight because we also have our bikes on one side of the garage. I bought a laser parking device that mounts to the roof and is aimed at specific spots on each car so we know exactly where to park so that the doors don't hit each other. I also got some rubber bumpers for the wall next to the Model S so that if someone opens the door too wide, it hits the rubber bumper. Overall it's worked well. The car is wide indeed!

For what its worth our local service manager said that the vast majority of body damage to Model Ss is due to close encounters with the garage. He told me in more than one case Model S owners have actually driven through the garage walls. I guess if you do that it doesn't matter how large your garage is.

In my case we have a Chrysler Sebring sharing the two-car portion of our three car garage. It fits satisfactorily. We also use a double laser pointer and a pair of STOP signs that blink when the car touches the sign. After hearing all these horror stories about the expense of fixing body damage I literally inch my Model S into the garage. I make a point of never being in a hurry.

Larry

For what its worth our local service manager said that the vast majority of body damage to Model Ss is due to close encounters with the garage. He told me in more than one case Model S owners have actually driven through the garage walls. I guess if you do that it doesn't matter how large your garage is.

In my case we have a Chrysler Sebring sharing the two-car portion of our three car garage. It fits satisfactorily. We also use a double laser pointer and a pair of STOP signs that blink when the car touches the sign. After hearing all these horror stories about the expense of fixing body damage I literally inch my Model S into the garage. I make a point of never being in a hurry.

Larry

Im glad I ordered the parking sensors then just for this resin alone it was worth the $500.

The model S is longer than many cars and SUVs. In a standard sized garage, you won't have much room in front of the car. The Model S has wide mirrors, and a bit of fender flare that the driver can't see. Those are two areas that might be damaged going in and out of a garage. I've had no issues, but I'm very careful. In lieu of a high tech laser, I use a low tech cement curb to stop my front wheel. Took me a while to find one that's low enough, so as not to damage the front end. But it works great.

In lieu of a high tech laser, I use a low tech cement curb to stop my front wheel. Took me a while to find one that's low enough, so as not to damage the front end. But it works great.

How high is your parking curb? While it needs to be low enough to clear the front end, I guess it also needs to be high enough that you don't easily roll over it, too. I've seen folks do this in parking lots (not with a Tesla) and it can be tough to get back over the hump in that situation.

Getting the front fenders and the outside mirrors past the door frame is my main concern, both going in and out. The auto-tilt mirrors take care of the rear fenders going out. I inch along going in until sure that I am clear. Once in, I have enough room on the sides and I use my rear camera to gauge how far in I should go.

I put in these, and this was installed when we had the Tahoe, both aid in parking. I line the nose up with the Tesla art & sign. The Leaf got booted out of the garage to the driveway when the Tesla arrived, so the Tesla only has to share the garage with the golf cart.

tesla art.JPG

I had same concern before buying mine. With the side mirrors out it's wide. Still fits through but snug 2" each side. Lengthwise I have about 4 feet from nose of Model S to front wall of garage. It will fit. My Acura RL had terrible door hinges that locked in 1 of 2 places so the doors always hit the side wall. The Model s door hinges are much nicer, no issues for me.

Yes, I see a number of suggestions to use the side mirrors to aide getting in/out of the garage. Unfortunately I will need to fold my mirrors in before entering the garage so I don't think I'll be able to use those techniques.

Anyone have issues with fitting into single-car garages? We have a 3-car garage. The wife parks the rather wide family truckster in the 2-car bay, I park my old 3-series (hopefully soon to be Model S) in the single-car. It's a standard-size single car garage. House was built 10 years ago.

Anyone have issues with fitting into single-car garages? We have a 3-car garage. The wife parks the rather wide family truckster in the 2-car bay, I park my old 3-series (hopefully soon to be Model S) in the single-car. It's a standard-size single car garage. House was built 10 years ago.

I have a similar set-up - a 19 year old house with 1-car/2-car bays. The 2 car bay is occupied by a Honda minivan and the P85 is in the 1-car bay previously occupied by an Audi A8. I have no trouble going in and out as long as I do it carefully. See my post #9 in this thread for details. AFAIK, my dimensions are standard.

Normally, I don't park in the garage because it's a bit short. However, when I do, I just back in and use the camera. Works great. When I park outside I also use the camera and tilted mirrors to get as close to the garage door as possible. I can see how the mirrors wouldn't be useful if you have to fold them before going in (and don't have the power mirrors).

I've also used a laser parking device, but it's cost was only $20 on eBay. A rubber bumper installed on the side wall has prevented problems. The MS IS a large car, but do-able if your builder hasn't skimped on the size of the garage.
MarkR which laser unit do you like, I have a Liftmaster garage opener and it looks like it needs to be wired into that unit. Is the laser bright enough to see.

What cement curb did you use? Sounds like an easy low tech option?
Thanks!

The model S is longer than many cars and SUVs. In a standard sized garage, you won't have much room in front of the car. The Model S has wide mirrors, and a bit of fender flare that the driver can't see. Those are two areas that might be damaged going in and out of a garage. I've had no issues, but I'm very careful. In lieu of a high tech laser, I use a low tech cement curb to stop my front wheel. Took me a while to find one that's low enough, so as not to damage the front end. But it works great.