Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Subject to change at their discretion. Tesla owners can now use the 7 HPWCs in front of the San Diego Tesla Service Center, located at 9250 Trade Place, San Diego CA 92126.
There is no cost and the chargers are available 24/7.

There are some rules being formulated, but they are very reasonable. When charging during business hours (listed below), they ask that you call them at 858-271-5100 to confirm availability. However, with 12 or 13 HPWCs plus a bunch of NEMA 14-50 chargers at the Service Center, there shouldn't be a problem except, maybe, at the end of a quarter when they are trying to push out cars. They also ask that you leave the key fob with the concierge in case the car needs to be moved.

If you want to charge when they're closed, they asked that you either 1) call them during business hours or 2) email them at [email protected] after business hours, and give them your contact information in case they need to reach you.

Charging and leaving your car are at your own risk. The Service Center is in an industrial park area, and I would be a little nervous leaving my car unattended there at night, but it's your call.

Their business hours are:
Mon-Fri: 7am – 6pm
Sat: 8am - 5pm
Sun: 9am - 4pm

I charged there today and got 24 miles/hr of charge with my single charger Tesla S. The car charged at 39-40A and 204-205 volts. With dual chargers, I assume you could double that rate of charge using the HPWC's 80A.

Attachments

• P1020705.JPG
    P1020705.JPG
    976 KB · Views: 613
Is the Model S on-board charger limited by amps or kw? On my 14-50 outlet at home, I get 30mph which is 10kw (240v x 40a = 10kw). I realize that commercial 3-phase buildings are 208V and at 40A, that's about 8kw. So 8kw out of 10kw is 80% and 80% of 30 is 24 so I understand the math for why you only get 24mph at those 200v HPWCs, but if those EVSE's can put-out 20kw, why do single-charger Model S's only charge at 8kw on these? Seems wrong. Shouldn't it be able to scale-up to 10kw at those? I was very surprised the first time I charged at a Tesla store a while back and yesterday at a hotel.

Is the Model S on-board charger limited by amps or kw? On my 14-50 outlet at home, I get 30mph which is 10kw (240v x 40a = 10kw). I realize that commercial 3-phase buildings are 208V and at 40A, that's about 8kw. So 8kw out of 10kw is 80% and 80% of 30 is 24 so I understand the math for why you only get 24mph at those 200v HPWCs, but if those EVSE's can put-out 20kw, why do single-charger Model S's only charge at 8kw on these? Seems wrong. Shouldn't it be able to scale-up to 10kw at those? I was very surprised the first time I charged at a Tesla store a while back and yesterday at a hotel.

Single Chargers are limited to 40 amps.

I popped in there back in January 2014 and they gave me a bit of a tour. I was hoping to meet up with @Hometheatremaven but our schedules didn't align. I thought they told me they were available to the public at that time. Of course, I didn't need them with my rental ICE (off to the right).

IMG_1651.JPG

I think what you're not understanding is that what the HPWC provides is based on what circuit it is on. If it's wired to a 50 A circuit it can only safely deliver 40A. The voltage is irrelevant, it can only carry 40A continuously in that wire.

So why do I get 30mph via 40amps at home, but only 24mph via 40amps at commercial HPWCs? I'm only getting 8kW at commercial 40amps (200v) and 10kW at home 40amps(240v). As I astated in the original question, the math works out and voltage does matter, but why can't the car scale-up to 10kW or 50amps @ 200v? The HPWCs are 80amp-capable.

Gavine, you have a single charger right? Then your car limits Amps to 40 amps. Yes, an HPWC can deliver up to 80 amps, but your on board charger in your car can only handle 40 amps. So if the voltage is lower, then the power will be lower.

Gavine, you have a single charger right? Then your car limits Amps to 40 amps. Yes, an HPWC can deliver up to 80 amps, but your on board charger in your car can only handle 40 amps. So if the voltage is lower, then the power will be lower.

Single charger. Yes. So that answers my question. The onboard charger is limited by amps and not by kW. They list it as a 10kW charger so I figure it should be able to charge at 10kW on an 80amp HPWC, but apparently not. It's just strange that I can charge faster at home with my UMC than I can at a commercial HPWC. I realize dual chargers would resolve that issue, but that's not my point.

Electronic circuit components can be limited in their amperage capacity, voltage capacity or power capacity depending on what they do. So it isn't unusual for a piece of power electronics to have design limits on all three.

With the Super Charger so closed by, why would you want to stop here?

'cuz you have a roadster?

Or you want to walk over to one of the local breweries and have a beer.

I used this location with my MS long before the Sorrento Mesa Supercharger opened.

As far as I know, all of the HPWC's here are 80 Amps, but on commercial 208 Volt circuits that droop to almost 200 Volts. 40 Amps with a single charger MS give you about 8 kW or about 24 mph, dual chargers give you 80A or about 16 kW and 48 mph. A Roadster can use 70A and about 14 kW (and I forgot how many mph that is...).