Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Grey 19" Cyclone Wheels?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

JakeP

S P4996 ==> P02547
Apr 27, 2012
Bradfordwoods, PA
I had an interesting conversation with Tesla Service today. I am using Rial Lugano Gunmetals for my winter wheels, and had asked if they could change the in-dash image of my car to show the 21" Grey Turbines during my annual service, to be a closer match. I got the car back today, and it showed 19" Cyclones instead of 21" Turbines. The Service rep asked me if I saw the change, and then added that it was set to display Grey Cyclones. I asked if such a thing existed, or if it was just a combination of display option settings for wheel type, size and color. He said that they are showing an actual part number for Grey Cyclones, but they have not seen any in person yet, and they are not available for online purchase.

I don't see it in the design studio, either. I thought this was very interesting.

I really wish they offered a perfectly symmetrical 19" Turbine, in either color. I love how the Gunmetal grey looks with my Green.

It also makes me curious as to whether HankLloydWright really saw a 19" Turbine pop up in the Design studio and then get immediately pulled (as discussed in another thread), and if so, if they really pulled it because the aerodynamics were worse than the 21" Turbine.

Still, Grey Cyclones might be something to consider.

Thanks Zythryn, the only grey Cyclones I had ever seen were the ones painted by the owner here:

S85 with painted Cyclones

But the ones on my car image are unmistakeably grey, which must equate to the rare ones you have identified above:

CarIconWithGreyCyclones.JPG

Ok I must say, if Tesla doesn't mass produce these, then Tesla is stupid. They are losing out on a countless number of people that would shell out $$$$ for these.

Also, are you missing center caps?

Actually, i don't really like them :), I preferr the original silver 19" rims... But they were not available at that time... Maybe after the winter I will sell this set.

About the caps, they were delivered later, after I took the photo (but very sharp of you!!)

Rumour has it that the extra gaps created by the (aesthetically slightly inferior) asymmetrical design is required to mount snow tires (http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/show...l-Photo)/page3?p=594461&viewfull=1#post594461). I don't know if it's true, but it makes sense.
Does it? Mounting a tire is pretty much the same whether it's summer or winter.

modp_0904_05_o+project_dc2_integra+tire_mounting.jpg

You affix the wheel to the machine, and the arm in the picture above pushes the tire over the rim. It never touches the face of the wheel beyond the lip or goes between the spokes. Balancing touches the center cap area (and is why center caps exist), but never needs clearance between spokes.

I don't work at a tire shop so I'm certainly no expert, but I can see nothing in the process that would require gaps. Indeed, the Aero wheels have no gaps at all and they get winter tires mounted.