Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time to give the R8 e-tron it’s own thread?

…/ by Greg Kable
12 December 2013

The Audi R8 e-tron will make it into limited-scale production.

Audi has backtracked on an earlier decision to cancel production of the R8 etron, and will now push ahead with small-scale production of the zero-emission two-seater as part of a number of sweeping changes made to its research and engineering operations since the arrival of its new head, Ulrich Hackenberg.

Citing recent advances in lithium-ion battery technology that has reportedly increased its range from an original 215km (134 miles) to close to 400km (248.5 miles), insiders at Audi’s headquarters in Germany suggest the R8 etron will now go into limited production during the latter half of 2014. /…

Audi R8 e-tron to be built | Autocar

Last edited:
Next Audi R8 E-Tron could have 280-mile range

/.../

Just 265 miles of range on a single charge? Meh. That's what the folks at Audi might be saying about the Tesla Model S and its estimated range. Because the German automaker says the next iteration of the R8 E-Tron could go 450 kilometers on a charge, or about 281 miles. This information comes from Automotive News, which cites a presentation from Audi technology chief Ulrich Hackenberg at the company's annual press conference.

The fact that the car will soon be available "upon request" is also news /...

Source: Next Audi R8 E-Tron could have 280-mile range | AutoblogGreen

Original source (?): Hackenberg's next Audi R8 could rock the EV world | Automotive News Europe

No disappointment there. While range may be similar to Model S, an electric R8 will have higher top speed. A German car maker cannot release an electric R8, sharing name and exterior with a conventional super sport car, and fall short of 250km/h top speed. I don't want to start a discussion of the practical merits of that, since I agree they are negligible. But it is a serious psychological aspect for potential buyers to say: "If I want, I can go 150mph".
Tesla demonstrated that people buy EVs, even at high prices, if perceived performance limitations of the electric drive train are removed.

Still sort of a "meh" in my book, as I feel I get the performance I need in my "seats 5" sedan. Perhaps they're following Tesla with bringing the technology high first, then trickling down, but I'd prefer to see this in a Q or A series vehicle than a 2 seater.

My immediate reaction is that it looks like Audi is about where Tesla was back in 2006 or so with the Roadster. At least one company has followed the Secret Master Plan quite well the last 8 years. Maybe we're seeing Audio adopt the Secret Master Plan for themselves, though presumably they have a thought about how they will advance more rapidly through the opening stages.

Still sort of a "meh" in my book, as I feel I get the performance I need in my "seats 5" sedan. Perhaps they're following Tesla with bringing the technology high first, then trickling down, but I'd prefer to see this in a Q or A series vehicle than a 2 seater.

I love the look of the R8 so would be a compelling car but maybe less so at a $140,000+ price (my guess). A serious effort in an electric A6 or A8 would be a true competitor to Tesla.

I love the look of the R8 so would be a compelling car but maybe less so at a $140,000+ price (my guess). A serious effort in an electric A6 or A8 would be a true competitor to Tesla.

I'd imagine higher. I own one of the early models (4.2) and after it was all said and done, it cost more than that. The newer models are more expensive still, and adding batteries? Sheesh.

As long as Audi were to accept to pay their fair share of the costs associated with them accessing Tesla’s Supercharger network (and that cost could perhaps vary based on how large the R8 e-tron ‘fleet’ turns out to be…), could there be any reason why Tesla would object to allow and license?

As long as Audi were to accept to pay their fair share of the costs associated with them accessing Tesla’s Supercharger network (and that cost could perhaps vary based on how large the R8 e-tron ‘fleet’ turns out to be…), could there be any reason why Tesla would object to allow and license?

Probably more than costs would be considered. From what I understand audi would have to build in some sort of bypass circuit for direct charging, the components and design would need to meet tesla - not Audi - specifications, there would need to be resolution of liability issues into the contract...

not it impossible by any means - just more than dollars however

I really doubt Audi would try to get onboard with Tesla supercharging. Tesla has really stolen a lot of publicity from the other luxury brands this year, and I believe the only reason they're making the car is to try to say "We could do that too if we wanted to". Having to still rely on the company you're trying to show up defeats that purpose.

I really doubt Audi would try to get onboard with Tesla supercharging. Tesla has really stolen a lot of publicity from the other luxury brands this year, and I believe the only reason they're making the car is to try to say "We could do that too if we wanted to". Having to still rely on the company you're trying to show up defeats that purpose.
Unless the R8 e-tron has access to a charging network that is as good as, or better than Tesla’s Supercharger network, then how will Audi be able to show up Tesla? Everyone that knows anything about electric cars will know that Audi hasn’t been able to show up Tesla unless they offer access to a similar network at their launch date. Without having access to such a network this e-tron will just be a really fancy commuter car/toy.

I don’t know what it would cost Audi to build a network of their own, but is that really feasible?

As I understand it, as of now the R8 e-tron’s battery size is unknown. It’s interesting though that the SLS AMG Electric Drive has a 60 kWh battery pack. And as we all know Merc. owns part of Tesla and is ‘collaborating’ with Tesla on the Smart EV and the upcoming B-class EV. Size-wise the battery in the SLS could handle supercharging, but maybe the chemistry can’t at any charge rates that would make it worth while to make it compatible. Regardless – the fact that Merc didn’t go for access to Tesla’s Superchargers with the SLS is disappointing to say the least… (IMO)

Edit: Guess I forgot that the SLS can only do 250 km (according to NEDC combined)…

Last edited:
Even if Audi doesn't have access to Tesla's network if they get CHAdeMO or a different level 3 standard that will be enough I think. Tesla doesn't sell a pure sports car anymore so this would be a great alternative (expensive though) until the next gen Roadster comes around.

Still sort of a "meh" in my book, as I feel I get the performance I need in my "seats 5" sedan.

The R8 has always been a halo car. As it's all electric, it's something I'd be interested in, especially if it can beat Roadster. I don't need a 4-door hatchback that's wider than most pickup trucks - I much prefer a 2-seat convertible (is the electric available in the Spyder form factor?). I would expect that, depending on battery placement, the R8 would outhandle the Model S. It sure could be more fun to drive.

Yeah, I know a lot of you here will disagree with me. That's OK, we don't need to convince each other. The Model S is a great bridge car, but just as we know why the first automobiles looked like carriages without horses, our children will know why the first electric vehicles looked like ICE cars.

Has anyone gone to an Audi dealer and try to order one? If not, I may drive my Roadster down this weekend and see what's what.