Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

UNITS!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd say that's the most common response, no matter where you might live. I'd be interested in what a USA poll would turn up. Yup, our official measurement system is metric....

So bringing it back to Tesla. The Roadster is reportedly a car held together with metric hardware. Will they change over to Imperial nuts and bolts when the Model S gets assembled in Long Beach CA?

So bringing it back to Tesla. The Roadster is reportedly a car held together with metric hardware. Will they change over to Imperial nuts and bolts when the Model S gets assembled in Long Beach CA?

You're kidding, of course. The USA makes all kinds of stuff with metric units. Just about everything we export *must* be metric. Most business - and certainly all high-tech business uses metric. It is mostly the general population that muddles through with what we've got - and is most resistant to change.

I have tools in both Metric and US standard. The Fords we had used US standard nuts and bolts. (Although a 13mm wrench can work on a 1/2" nut in a pinch).

See this related discussion.
...I've found a few of them have metric heads but imp. Threads...

I suspect Tesla would buy some S parts from US companies, and possibly wouldn't always be able to get everything metric, so it could end up being some sort of mix. With enough sockets and wrenches any shop should be able to deal with both.

You're kidding, of course. The USA makes all kinds of stuff with metric units. Just about everything we export *must* be metric. Most business - and certainly all high-tech business uses metric. It is mostly the general population that muddles through with what we've got - and is most resistant to change.

Umm - We've just bought a couple of very big satellite dishes (the reason I was in CA), they are coming to the UK and virtually everything on them is in imperial/english units.

Umm - We've just bought a couple of very big satellite dishes (the reason I was in CA), they are coming to the UK and virtually everything on them is in imperial/english units.

Yeah, and I think we know who put the USA in this "imperial/English" pickle in the first place! :wink:

Parlez-vous Metrique?

It didn't stop Canada, Australia and New Zealand from making the switch. Even the Irish made an overnight switch to kilometres a few years ago. You only have yourselves to blame... :tongue:

Actually we seem to have got stuck halfway. Everything except road distances and beer is typically metric in the UK. Petrol was the last big thing to swap to litres, about the same time I got my license. We were making good progress before somebody politicised the whole issue in the mid-90s. Now we have the stupid situation of cars being sold with MPG ratings and you can't buy a gallon anywhere.

Most of my generation is "bilingual" in this regard - except I really have no intuitive feel for what a fluid ounce is, that one really has gone by the wayside and did so before my time.

You may remember, a few years back, this metric versus imperial units confusion cost NASA a $125 million spacecraft and all the priceless science it could have achieved when it crashed into Mars because someone used the wrong units. I remember when it happened it sounded so unbelievable to me. It will probably survive in the history books as one of the most embarrassing flops in science - CNN - Metric mishap caused loss of NASA orbiter - September 30, 1999