Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Pull Over Safely, Restart Car to Drive

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

brianman

Burrito Founder
Nov 10, 2011
Has anybody else run across this message before? It happened when I floored it while entering a freeway on-ramp. Fortunately, I was in the middle of nowhere (no traffic behind me).

Notice the orange and red gear letters.

PullOverSafely_RestartCarToDrive.jpg

Upon restarting the 17" and then putting the car into drive it cleared itself and the car behaved normally from there on out.

For what happened next, look here:
PocketDyno, Sig P85 A after 23k miles

Last edited:
Nice one Peter!

I've set up next to a bud in a Sept. delivery S85 to run him. I made sure he moved first before moving to keep from jumping him. Both times we tried this (back to back) his car did exactly the same thing. The throttle was non-responsive and the car simply shut down until he stopped and cycled through park. It would not repeat with just one car twenty minutes later at the service center. We have yet to do it again to confirm but I suspect something in his car was upset about something coming from my car (FM???).

Nice one Peter!

I've set up next to a bud in a Sept. delivery S85 to run him. I made sure he moved first before moving to keep from jumping him. Both times we tried this (back to back) his car did exactly the same thing. The throttle was non-responsive and the car simply shut down until he stopped and cycled through park. It would not repeat with just one car twenty minutes later at the service center. We have yet to do it again to confirm but I suspect something in his car was upset about something coming from my car (FM???).

@lola,

Are you serious? Do you honestly think there's some kind of wireless interfere from one car to the other? That would be completely insane!

I had a similar error message and red-out of the PRND on the dash, in a similar situation. I had just punched the accelerator from a low speed, and the car completely lost power. In my case, Tesla replaced the Power Inverter unit. Like you, I have an early-production car (Nov.2012).

I guess that means that everyone with an 'A' pack doesn't need to hunt for tow-hitches to drive over any more. Just keep punching it over and over until it craps out on you and then go get your new 'B' pack and 120kWh supercharging!!!

ya, this doesn't seem to work :wink:

just dropped off my second set of 21"s to get the tires flipped and my 19" fun tires with ~200mi need the same thing done.
I think I have well tested the punching it repeatedly.
never had any sort of drive failure or error msg related

Zax,

Yep, I know. We really need to reproduce the problem as it just could not be that I was next to him although it happened twice back to back and then would not do it 20 minutes later at the service center (when I was not next to him). He's out at the airport and we've been talking about lining up again.

ya, this doesn't seem to work :wink:

just dropped off my second set of 21"s to get the tires flipped and my 19" fun tires with ~200mi need the same thing done.
I think I have well tested the punching it repeatedly.
never had any sort of drive failure or error msg related

I think you'll need someone with an "A" personality to punch it.

My wife got the same message except the car would not not move after a restart. Even did a hard reset by pulling the yellow fuses. No dice. Car stayed powered up and HVAC still worked. Tesla towed it and ended up replacing the inverter. It also showed this:
IMG_00000058.jpg