Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Let's get some HPWCs installed in Yosemite

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As far as I can tell, there is only one J1772 charger in all of Yosemite National Park, in Yosemite Village. I could make it to the valley floor from my home in Sacramento using 178 miles of rated range in my P85 (according to EVTripPlanner) but I'd be worried about gaining access to the only charger and getting stuck there until I could charge. Probably worse for folks from the Bay Area...

I just sent a message to the company that runs the concessions in Yosemite NP ([email protected]) urging them to reach out to Tesla to place some HPWCs at their destination lodging (the Ahwahnee and Yosemite Lodge), and I also sent a note to Tesla on their webpage for this purpose: Destination Charging

I'd encourage other California members to start putting pressure on both parties to get this done. Let's have a meetup of California TMC members in Yosemite Valley this summer!

As far as I can tell, there is only one J1772 charger in all of Yosemite National Park, in Yosemite Village. I could make it to the valley floor from my home in Sacramento using 178 miles of rated range in my P85 (according to EVTripPlanner) but I'd be worried about gaining access to the only charger and getting stuck there until I could charge. Probably worse for folks from the Bay Area...

I just sent a message to the company that runs the concessions in Yosemite NP ([email protected]) urging them to reach out to Tesla to place some HPWCs at their destination lodging (the Ahwahnee and Yosemite Lodge), and I also sent a note to Tesla on their webpage for this purpose: Destination Charging

I'd encourage other California members to start putting pressure on both parties to get this done. Let's have a meetup of California TMC members in Yosemite Valley this summer!

Heh, a meetup of stranded people.

Need more chargers of any sort in the central valley.

For instance: I'm going to Merced and then Los Banos this weekend. 320 miles, and that's assuming I don't go back to Merced after dinner at Wool Growers (great family style place btw). From Los Banos to Harris Ranch (nearest supercharger) is 70 miles the wrong direction, and then a long stretch back home if I decide to go from there. I'm not taking the Model S for this trip.

A supercharger near Tracy or Manteca would fit the niche. From what I can tell, that's planned for sometime this year. Until then, look to RV outlets. I bet there are a bunch of RV outlets near Yosemite.

FWIW, I got a quick response from the person monitoring the [email protected], saying she would "forward [my] message to the transportation and lodging directors for their consideration."

Also, I spoke to the person at Tesla dealing with destination charging and was told that they'd love to get into Yosemite Valley and have been trying but haven't gained any traction with their inquiries.

So... let me encourage California members to email [email protected] and call the front desk at the Ahwahnee ((209) 372-1407) and Yosemite Lodge (209-372-1274) to inquire about EV charging. The more of us they hear from the sooner they'll realize they need to do this. Yosemite Valley would be a fabulous destination for Model S road trips.

Great idea, Jamie. Would you mind pasting in the body of your original email to them? I'll fire it off as well (after cosmetic changes).

Here's what I wrote:

Hi there,

I am one of a growing number of Californians who own an electric vehicle. I would like to drive into Yosemite Valley but right now there seems to be only one EV charger in all of the Valley. I would like to strongly urge you to consider beefing up the EV charging infrastructure to support these clean vehicles.

The manufacturer of my EV, Tesla Motors, will even supply destination hotels with free weatherproof chargers to install in their parking lots. You can contact them for this purpose at this website address:

Destination Charging

to let them know you might be interested. I am sure they’ll contact you and work with you to make this happen. Chargers at Yosemite Lodge and the Ahwahnee would attract Tesla owners who are currently nervous about driving into the Valley out of concern that they can’t be certain they can reliably recharge their vehicles.

Best regards,

J

Remember everything in Yosemite is owned by the government, not private enterprise.

Owned, but not run by... The Delaware North Companies Hospitality Management Company | Delaware North is a private company that won the bid for the concession to run the public-facing infrastructure (e.g., hotels, shops, restaurants) of Yosemite for (?20) years. The email I provided ([email protected]) is a comment mailbox for the Delaware North Company's Yosemite concession. Not the National Park Service.

They may be reluctant (or prevented by the National Park Service) to install a proprietary (Tesla-only) charger, even though Tesla's are the only BEVs able to penetrate the park at this point. Regardless, we need to raise their awareness and it would be great to just have several more J1772s installed around the Valley...

Last edited:
The concessions are truly a private enterprise. A relative of a friend of mine worked there in the past. They do have a lot of environmental messages in their lodging facilities, so they should be motivated to do this. I will send them an email too.

Owned, but not run by... The Delaware North Companies Hospitality Management Company | Delaware North is a private company that won the bid for the concession to run the public-facing infrastructure (e.g., hotels, shops, restaurants) of Yosemite for (?20) years. The email I provided ([email protected]) is a comment mailbox for the Delaware North Company's Yosemite concession. Not the National Park Service.

They may be reluctant (or prevented by the National Park Service) to install a proprietary (Tesla-only) charger, even though Tesla's are the only BEVs able to penetrate the park at this point. Regardless, we need to raise their awareness and it would be great to just have several more J1772s installed around the Valley...

I will send them an email too.

Thanks. I really think the more folks that send them independent messages from different avenues (email, phone calls to front desks & reservation centers) the better. In talking last evening with the person at Tesla running charging infrastructure, it's clear that Tesla wants to make it easy for Model S members to make it to National Parks without range anxiety. Very high visibility, fits the company's green message. He said they normally just donate HPWCs but don't pay for the electrical work (which is the larger expense) but that at the landmark National Park lodges like the Ahwahnee or its counterpart in Yellowstone, he would urge management to consider helping with the electrical as well - he said that all it takes is for a few enthusiastic Tesla owners to convince another affluent guest at these lodges to buy a Model S and the investment will have paid off.

While HPWCs would necessarily be construed as special pleading for use by a single EV mfr, 14-50 outlets to be installed for 'EV charging only' would be generic/universal. They should be installed in a small vehicle setting as opposed to spaces for 36 ft long RVs. Cheaper to install just the outlet.
--

Last edited:
I think one of the problems might be the lack of parking in Yosemite. I know at the lodge you they give you a paper to put on your windshield. I'm actually not particularly fond of the Awhanee on a bang-per-buck basis.

I already got a response to my email from DMC.

Thanks for taking the time to send your comments. I have forwarded your message to transportation management for their consideration.

Are there any other vehicles that can take advantage of a 14-50? I don't believe so.... A high amperage J1772 would be the best IMO and benefit the most!!
Well, stick a 120V outlet next to it like your typical RV setup, then anyone can use it (really slowly).

But anyone can buy a portable EVSE that will plug into a 14-50 and give you a J1772 plug on the other end.

I'd be happy with a 14-50 or J1772. Either way works for Tesla owners, and would be more appealing to the park compared to a HPWC which would be cool, but limited, and even then only beneficial to those with twin chargers.

As mentioned above, Yosemite is very traffic limited. Some of this is due to congestion, but a lot is due to pollution concerns. Allowing an unlimited amount of EV only (Zero Emission) vehicles would be a nice incentive, and consistent with their environmental philosophy. Can other EV's even make it there?

... compared to a HPWC which would be cool, but limited, and even then only beneficial to those with twin chargers

Not true, those of us with single chargers can use the HPWCs, just at 40 instead of the full 80 amps. I've plugged in several times at the Rocklin Service Center.

Certainly would be happy with widespread J1772s or even NEMA 14-50s in the park, but it sure would be nice to have some Tesla-only charging spots...