Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Drivetrain Behavior Near Neutral

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All,

Just wanted to check and see if you all see the same thing to make sure my car is "normal". Pretty much since I got my car 22,000 miles ago (that I can remember), whenever I transition from very slight regen to very slight "consumption"...like in the +/- 10 kW range...I can feel a bit of a slight jolt in the drivetrain. Almost feels like a little bit of slop in the reduction gear(maybe?). It's not too noticeable...certainly not a bother...but when I'm sitting at a stop light and playing with the pedal lightly, going from regen to consumption, I can feel the slop a little bit.

Anyone else feel this? Is it normal?

It feels mechanical, but might be a consequence of the motor/inverter switching from regen to thrust.

I notice this mostly at low speeds. At least in my car, it's accompanied by a slight thunk-like noise from the rear of the vehicle. My last AWD ICE had some gear lash at low speeds, and it both sounds and feels exactly like that. I tried to demonstrate it to a service center and got a "I don't hear anything" despite it being very audible, at least to my ears. They put it on the service list anyway and it came back "Could not reproduce." *sigh* It does it every single time.

I never mentioned it to my wife and she heard it the other day, so it's not just me. "What's that noise? Sounds bad."

I keep hoping to get a Model S loaner to compare against, but no luck so far.

Ok guys, creepy...but excellently proactive service. After posting this yesterday I got an email and call today asking me to set up a service appointment to look at this service issue. I supposedly "asked them to look into." The only place I've ever mentioned it is this thread. They're watching us..."Hi Tesla."

Ok guys, creepy...but excellently proactive service. After posting this yesterday I got an email and call today asking me to set up a service appointment to look at this service issue. I supposedly "asked them to look into." The only place I've ever mentioned it is this thread. They're watching us..."Hi Tesla."

They've contacted me on 3 separate occasions based on various posts I've made on TMC. They are definitely watching...

They've contacted me on 3 separate occasions based on various posts I've made on TMC. They are definitely watching...

Yeah.... I've never posted my name, address, phone number, or vin though, haha. They had to do a bit of research (as minimal as that might be) to figure out who I am. They probably have a database with our true identities matched with the our tmc name from what they've figured out over the last couple years.

I have it on mine, and it makes a rather loud (to me) clunking noise when you switch between accel and decel or vv. It is particularly annoying in the parking lot at work where there are multiple closely spaced speed bumps.

SC manager heard it, and the loaner we tried did not have it, but he later told me almost all other customer cars have it. So I guess it is "normal" in the sense that most cars have it.

I was holding off responding because what you guys are describing sounds different. But since there's the off-chance there might be some correlation....

My car used to make a clicking sound at low speeds. I noticed driving through Redmond Town Center at low speeds on a warmish night last year. Tesla took a look at it in mid-September and had this to say about it:
Complaint Narrative: Client reports clicking/ticking noise during acceleration/deceleration between 0 and 20 mph.
Pay Type: Warranty
Cause: Isolated concern to left rear axle area. Slight click noise from axle splines.
Correction: Gearbox & Halfshafts General Diagnosis
Further diagnosed concern with aid of chassis ears and mechanic stethoscope. Isolated to rear axle hub area. Removed axle nut and applied high strength grease to axle splines. Retorqued nut, verified concern no longer present.
Part Qty
WASHER ASSY LCK M24x39 ZnFl-W (1020296-00-A)
NUT HF M24x1.5 [8.8] ZnFl-W (1020297-00- A)
Correction: Brakes Discs & Calipers General Diagnosis
Removed left rear brake pads and calipers, cleaned contact surfaces and applied insulating grease. Condition still present after counter measures.

Hate to bring up an old thread, but am noticing the clicking sound for what sounds like the right rear. Have heard it for awhile but am noticing it more lately. Anyone else hearing this again? Seems to be for a start sometimes, and other times while driving slow.
Thanks.

I was holding off responding because what you guys are describing sounds different. But since there's the off-chance there might be some correlation....

My car used to make a clicking sound at low speeds. I noticed driving through Redmond Town Center at low speeds on a warmish night last year. Tesla took a look at it in mid-September and had this to say about it: