Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

70 MPH enforced on M25

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
this was in the Sunday Times and now the telegraph (link below). A warning for all you early adopters!:eek:I was thinking about this as I chugged at just above the speed limit on the M25 yesterday. Would strict enforcement of the motorway speed limit on the motorway network play into the hands of Tesla? Certainly you would get increased range, but not sure that with lorries overtaking each other at 60mph and with an enforced top speed of 70mph on a congested motorway, it would not be a particularly safe environment for anyone.

For the premium and luxury sector other things might come into play other than top speed - rather the reverse of 'Realist's concerns on another thread about speeding on the Autobahn

Motorway speed cameras to be rolled out to stop those driving faster than 70mph - Telegraph

The other issue is that at least cameras could provide real time information for traffic flows, so you could have an App that visualised the motorway network live. Now that would be useful!

tom

Last edited:
Some of the cameras on the variable speed limit section are live all the time anyway. I've had a radar detector for ten years and I can tell you exactly which ones are always on.

If you want realtime motorway information, just turn the traffic option on in google maps.

I think that what is new is that the new generation cameras can process a larger number of transgressions and that they will be enforced nationally, which is why I put the article on. A lot of people (including me) cruise at up to 80mph even in relatively heavy traffic.

I for one would be p%&d if I was overtaking a articulated lorry overtaking another lorry and spurted to say 77mph and then got a ticket (as the machines will record peak speeds as well as average speeds). And this is in my old diesel Passat! God knows what would happen when overtaking in a P85+! You would have to be very careful on the throttle.

If the 70mph limit was extensively enforced, it would be a double edged sword for EV owners, as you would gain extra range, but the performance aspects of a Merc/BMW/Tesla would be lost. Over time top speed would become less relevent in sales and marketing, so Tesla Model S's other virtues could come to the fore. Same of course for the other manufacturers.

Not like the old days when the Yuppies raced their 911s around the orbital!

I think that what is new is that the new generation cameras can process a larger number of transgressions and that they will be enforced nationally, which is why I put the article on. A lot of people (including me) cruise at up to 80mph even in relatively heavy traffic.

I for one would be p%&d if I was overtaking a articulated lorry overtaking another lorry and spurted to say 77mph and then got a ticket (as the machines will record peak speeds as well as average speeds). And this is in my old diesel Passat! God knows what would happen when overtaking in a P85+! You would have to be very careful on the throttle.

If the 70mph limit was extensively enforced, it would be a double edged sword for EV owners, as you would gain extra range, but the performance aspects of a Merc/BMW/Tesla would be lost. Over time top speed would become less relevent in sales and marketing, so Tesla Model S's other virtues could come to the fore. Same of course for the other manufacturers.

Not like the old days when the Yuppies raced their 911s around the orbital!

I doubt if achievable top speed on motorways may be considered a distinctive performance aspect of a modern car. Even a modest ford focus has a 100+ Miles per hour top speed.

Tbh, it's not the 70mph limit that's the problem, it's the variable limit. Quite often I see a single lane of traffic queuing to get off the M25 and 3 empty lanes, but all lanes have a 40mph limit. That's tough, but worse is when you get a single gantry showing 40 for no reason at all. That is pure revenue generation.