Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Mobile charger will not work properly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Starting in the last few days, each time a plugged in the mobile charger to my car I got a white ring a lot of clicking then a red ring...no charge at the beginning but I could unplug it from the car or from the wall and then get green and charge. Yesterday that did not work anymore.:crying: I tried everything I could think of. Reset breaker, unplug each end, amp it down. The box on the charger was blinking red fast twice then dark. After a quick weekend call to Freemont they told me of a reset button on the charger box, still nothing. It was then suggested to visit my local charge point to get some juice. Luckily for me I had done a dry run for where this station was located and that my car would charged there. Lleft my car there for 6.5 hours as it charged. I have an appointment Monday at service:rolleyes:

Any thoughts?:confused:

Last edited:
Any thoughts?:confused:
If you're a football fan, try to enjoy the game today. Have lots of non-car fun. Try not to think about your S. In fact try to resign yourself to not stressing about it until Tuesday. Tesla will find out what they and you need to know tomorrow. It probably won't be a huge deal, and even if it is it will be on Tesla's dime not yours.

No idea if this helps or not. Sometimes it does for me. Stressing about things that I can't materially influence seems like a waste of energy and lifespan so I try, intellectually, to not do it. Emotionally is a whole different story.

My charging cable (UMC) died a week or two after I got the car. Tesla roadside assistance downloaded some logs and had me try a few things, including public charging to make sure the car itself was ok (which it was). Then they shipped me a new UMC the next day.

My key takeaway from the experience: Tesla will make things right.

In follow-up to this, I got a call from service @ 10:15 Monday to ask if and when I was coming in, they were expecting me. I was mins away (10 miles away from home). My car was seen right away, had a coffee, chewed the fat a little, made some phone calls and after about 20-30 mins I was told the following:
1 car charged when plugged to their equipment
2 using my UMC and 14-50 adapter they got same result...failure
3 My are giving me a new UMC and 14-50 adapter
4 This is more common than I thought...coming in waves of complains from other owners.
5 I was offered a vacuum and a wash.
6 Came home and charged her up @ 40 amps

conclusion: I was taken care of.

Last edited:
Reactions: SpdBug
I noticed that if I pressed the car side plug towards the ground I could get it to latch on the second or third attempt. After I for off the phone with them I wondered if the connectors in the plug are spreading and not making good contact.

I got my new UMC today. I took the plug off the old one and had some trouble getting it apart. When I finally got it apart I noticed that the one prong had melted on the cable and in the adapter plug. The new cable and plug have the exact same part numbers.

I got my new UMC today. I took the plug off the old one and had some trouble getting it apart. When I finally got it apart I noticed that the one prong had melted on the cable and in the adapter plug. The new cable and plug have the exact same part numbers.
Did the new adapter and or plug have additional markings? Like a green (or some other color) dot?

Hoping you got a new or adapter with the thermal fuse.

Since you had melting you might want to check your outlet. If you don't know how to do it yourself, I would recommend having an electrician look at it to make sure everything is kosher.

Let us know how things work and check out.

Did the new adapter and or plug have additional markings? Like a green (or some other color) dot?

Hoping you got a new or adapter with the thermal fuse.

Since you had melting you might want to check your outlet. If you don't know how to do it yourself, I would recommend having an electrician look at it to make sure everything is kosher.

Let us know how things work and check out.

It's identical. I called the service center to ask them if it was the new one and she said they don't have those yet. Nobody has received them.

Our outlet is fine. I am an electrician. ;). I oversized the wire, it's 4' from our panel and when we built our house I installed a 400w meter base so the utility had to pull wires for a 400a service ;). I typically see less than a 2% voltage drop.

The hot spot was inside the connector, caused by a loose connection where the UMC mates to the 14-50 adapter. Looking at the UMC end of the connector it was the left hot leg. It would be interesting to see if others with the melted plug are seeing it on the same leg.

Hi to all
We got our S85 yesterday. Being an engineer, I put it on charge at 30A instead of 40A to test how things are functioning. We have 242V at the outlet with the car on charge. We had the electrician put in #4 wiring, 52 feet underground from the breaker box instead of #6 so the feed side is cool into the garage outlet. The 14-50 outlet was just detectably warm after an hour at the plug faceplate, but the Tesla wiring was markedly warm- this concerns me a bit as the difference going from 30A to 40A is about 65% more energy dissipation in the cable (ratio of 40^2 to 30^2). The plug at the car was a bit warm too. I am going to put a thermocouple on the different areas and monitor, and report later on.