Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Extension cord for charging from Dryer outlets

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Many owners say that if they are visiting a friend's home and need a charge, they rely on dryer outlet if available. In case dryers are away from garage or a place where car is parked, I am assuming that these folks are using an extension cord. What are the specificaitons and links for some of these extension cords? I am wondering if on road trip, we should also keep such an extension cord along with UMC for just in case. This allows us to get power from many homes at a faster rate than say 110 V.

Suitable extension cord (there's also a 15' I think):
Amazon.com: Camco 55195 50 AMP 30 Extension Cord with PowerGrip Handle: Automotive

Universal adaptors:
EVSEadapters.com: Tesla Model S adapters - charge your Tesla Model S faster, anywhere

I have both but haven't had need to use either of them, yet. Quality seemed good, and both get positive reviews from other owners. The theory being you use the UMC and its 14-50 adaptor, then the 14-50 extension cord, then the EVSE adaptor to take the 14-50 to whatever you actually need (if it's not 14-50).

I currently use EVSEupgrade.com molded end adapters:
NEMA 10-30 (usually '95 earlier construction) to L6-30
NEMA 14-30 (usually '96 later construction) to L6-30

Along with with (2) Stayonline.com molded end 25' L6-30 extension cords and an L6-30P to NEMA 10-30R adapter (the 10-30R is the only hand assembled part)

I prefer this 10AWG combination since it is lightweight, the connections lock together, does NOT have an extraneous neutral conductor, and my S requires no manual amp setting intervention (unless the circuit is utilizing a 2-pole 20A breaker)

I too, view every house's dryer receptacle as an electron transfer station.

Last edited: