Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

To Do List While Waiting For Your Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Okay. Placed my order December 15th and confirmed on December 23, 2013. Recently was given the delivery date to Costa Mesa, CA on March 15, 2014. Six more weeks to go. Looking to keep busy and get ready with a "to do list". Please jump in with suggestions.

1. Power to garage - 50 amp plug
2. Consider second meter option vs. time of use EV rate change with current meter
3. Order mats
4. Line up insurance
5. Line up payment or financing
6. Consider paint correction ( not sure on this one...)
7. Sign up with Blink and Chargepoint
8. Look for other apps
9. Plan for HOV stickers (CA thing)
10. Read this forum
11. Track the build of local Supercharge Network ( I am interest in Oxnard)
12. Look for every Tesla on the road to admire
13. Visit the local showroom and buy t shirt or ?
14. Look over your order and question if you made the best choices
15. Plan first road trip
16. Wait, calmly wait
17. Tell everyone or not to tell anyone ?
18. Discuss EV and Tesla and make new friends
19. Other ideas?

Okay. Placed my order December 15th and confirmed on December 23, 2013. Recently was given the delivery date to Costa Mesa, CA on March 15, 2014. Six more weeks to go. Looking to keep busy and get ready with a "to do list". Please jump in with suggestions.

2. Consider second meter option vs. time of use EV rate change with current meter
19. Other ideas?

Make really sure that all wiring and mounting for that plug socket is well done.
- Plug and wiring off any combustible material (and with proper insulation) to exclude all fire risk.
- have grounding checked, including resistance to ground.
- have all connections double checked from main panel to plug. Slightly loose contacts can get very hot.
- make sure the socket is really good quality, heavy duty, ensuring perfect contact with your car's plug.

Question for our electrician folk...

Other than having another friend come by with a Model S, is there a recommended test for people that have installed a 50A plug prior to getting their cars?

Maybe ask for a test drive at the closest store and see if they will let you charge it? ;)

Lined Up 1. Power to garage - 50 amp plug
Passing 2. Consider second meter option vs. time of use EV rate change with current meter
Still Looking 3. Order mats
Check 4. Line up insurance
Check 5. Line up payment or financing
Passing 6. Consider paint correction ( not sure on this one...)
I need to research 7. Sign up with Blink and Chargepoint
I have had the Tesla app staring at me for the past month 8. Look for other apps
N/A 9. Plan for HOV stickers (CA thing)
Addicted 10. Read this forum
Addicted 11. Track the build of local Supercharge Network ( I am interest in Oxnard)
I've only ever seen 3 in the wild 12. Look for every Tesla on the road to admire
Bough a coffee tumbler 13. Visit the local showroom and buy t shirt or ?
Still torn on adding pano before confirming 14. Look over your order and question if you made the best choices
Working on it, Disney? 15. Plan first road trip
Never 16. Wait, calmly wait
Only some people 17. Tell everyone or not to tell anyone ?
Every day 18. Discuss EV and Tesla and make new friends
Looking into other accessories such as a license plate bracket, decals for the Tesla logos, tinting, etc. 19. Other ideas?

It's probably a good thing to have a 2-3 month wait but the wait may kill me!

Buy the extra battery for the fob to keep in the car.

If you plan to go to northern CA or the pacific northwest, the Aerovironment network is much more useful than Blink or Chargepoint.

Recargo and Plugshare apps.

Southern Cal Edison provided a EV Power plan. This is a report based upon the last years electrical usage with info provide by me on the car and daily mileage expected. My results were that a second meter would be $515 per year less than a single meter time of use EV plan. I am meeting an electrician this weekend for another quote for power options. Edison contact is 800 4EV-INFO.

Okay. Placed my order December 15th and confirmed on December 23, 2013. Recently was given the delivery date to Costa Mesa, CA on March 15, 2014.

Similar with my order, but asked for a few weeks later delivery because I'll be in vacation. However, here in western Europe the base price suddenly dropped over $ 10k (of course my order still has the old, much higher price tag). Really weird, especially since the sales guy assured me they have a strict zero discount policy. Looks like that was true for me, but everybody else will now get a 10k discount. :-/
Anyone else in the same situation? This would have been a real cool chance for Tesla sales to excite customers if they had proactively informed them about an updated order with cheaper price. Too bad they didn't do it.

Not mentioned here: Install solar if you've been considering it/upgrade solar to cover your annual driving usage if you can. I'm doing a full install. In fact, that's what triggered me to get the car. "Go ahead and size up the solar... I think I'll get the Tesla."

That also cascaded into a few things. First, I have 100A service to the house, which is already a stretch since we have 180A of breakers (before I moved in, promise). So we need to upgrade service to the house, which wound up being an issue because the gas line is too close to the meter (PG&E new standards). We need to move the meter. That's pending.

While waiting, they came to install the panels on my barrel tile roof. Pulling off some tiles, the underlayment was all torn off due to rodents or squirrels. Looks like someone's been having a party between the decking and the tile. So no installation of panels. Roofer came out, will pull that whole side of the roof off, repaper, do some kind of exclusion for whatever's getting in there, put the tile back on. Then solar can come back out. Hopefully service will be upgraded in the meantime, at which point I can get my 14-50 installed.

I also decided to pave my gravel driveway, at least some of it. That's happening now.

Let's hope the Tesla isn't ready early.

To be clear, I'm not trying to hijack this thread. Just wanted to point out that getting started early is a good idea because you never know what you're going to run into.