Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Catch Tesla LA-NY Trip Team

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Aphysician

Member, Michigan Chapter
May 3, 2013
Metro Detroit, MI
Tesla team was heading towards Cheyenne, WY at 700 am. So they are roughly 1000 miles/15 hours away from Rockford, IL. There are 11 supercharger stations in between, we can count atleast an hour for each, so I think they are atleast 24 hours away from Chicago. They will most likely reach Chicago tomorrow morning. This is all presuming they are posting pics right away, which I don't think so. They will reach Toledo around noon. They will be on I-90 corridor in early morning.

Should we organize a meet at Rockford, Mishawaka, Maumee and Macedonia supercharger at following times? Note the overlapping times. I am sure we will be able to catch them. Would be wonderful if a group which catches them can notify the group ahead.

(1) Rockford - 700 to 900 am
(2) Mishawaka - 800 to 1000 am
(3) Maumee - 1000 am to 100 pm
(4) Macedonia - 100 pm to 300 pm

Tomorrow is Saturday and can afford to waste time. Only problem is the weather again. Just wanted to know what everybody thinks before we plan something.

Your timing could be way off. I-25 remains closed between Wellington and the Wyoming border in northern Colorado, as of 7:45 am on Saturday. My guess (and it's only a guess) is that it will reopen later this morning.

Only way I would get involved is IF they tweeted leaving Madison, or anywhere WI, and headed for Rockford.
And, as you mention, the weather forecast for here Fri / Sat is NOT good. 3-5 inches.
While they navigated CO with this white rubbish, I am not so keen ... no snow tyres and all.
As they can easily make it to Highland Park without stopping in Rockford.
Then again in HP there are no places to really hang out for an hour ... and they would add a precious few miles.
They could also drive via Milwaukee.
Or hypermile it to IN. 250 miles.

I agree with you. Weather is terrible and it is rolling eastwards. They are not going to have any relief and will face heavy snow all day tomorrow on I-90 corridor. It is difficult to drive and plan event in that weather. We will wait for the next tweet by them and see if they make any progress. I am 90 miles from Maumee. I started this to see if someone is near these chargers and it may be possible for them to make a quick trip. We should not be wasting their time, but a cheers from owners will definitely make their day.

@sp4rk, @stevezzz

It will be very nasty along I-90 corridor. 5-8" in Chicago. 5-8" along I-90 in Indiana. 3-5" along I-90 in Ohio. 8-12" in Grand Rapids and 5-8" in SE Michigan. Worst of all it is icy road conditions along I-90. Don't think so it is worth driving long distances for an iffy chance of meeting the team, but probably local owners at these superchargers can brave the conditions. We will try our best to keep this updated and give them heads up about the progress and hopefully someone from the group catches them.

Last edited:
@sp4rk

May work in your favor. This means they are delayed and won't reach Chicago till afternoon. It seems it may have stopped snowing till then. So it translates reaching Maumee in early evening around 4:00 pm. That effectively takes me out atleast, as weather will be at its worst around that time, may be local owners can do it in Mishawaka or Maumee. I think the best spot might be actually Macedonia. As it doesn't look like they will get much snow and trip may reach there late Saturday evening. If anyone near Macedonia, then please give a shout out. I think @Sgt Barone and @772 may be closer to that supercharger.

@772 and @sgt barone, thank you.

@thefortunes, sorry forgot about WI. It seemed that they will pass WI in night to reach Chicago in morning, but now with the delay. We might be able to cheer them up at Mauston or Madison. Would it be possible you to notify owners in the area.

Folks in South Dakota may be able to meet them later today evening, but unfortunately not enough heads up for them.

Last edited:
First real time update of the trip. Somebody spotted the team and tweeted. The trip is already at Hot Springs, SD. Only 12 or so hours away from Madison and Rockford. 6 or so superchargers in between. May be add another 2 hours. This makes it highly plausible that they will be at either Madison or Rockford around 6-7 am.

Hot Springs, SD - 15:30
Worthington, MN - 22:00
Albert Lea, MN - 1:00
Madison, WI - 6:00
Rockford, IL - 7:00

Last edited:
This trip has been a disappointment to me so far. The 2010 Roadster cross country event was better promoted - especially with the dedicated website. This made it much easier for enthusiast and local EV clubs to plan events around the trip. Doesn't seem to be easy to do this time around. I'd be more than willing to hop on an Amtrak train up to Chicago area to cover this event - if only those taking part would communicate with the public. As a minor stockholder, enthusiast and someone who covers the subject of electric cars - the trip would be worth it to me. At this point it seems like the team has defeated the whole purpose of such a trip - product promotion and education.

Last edited:
It is odd, I agree with you. The team has a dedicated blogger and top notch video and still image capability. There is plenty of drama in the weather conditions they've faced. Are they saving it for the big screen, or what?

It is odd, I agree with you. The team has a dedicated blogger and top notch video and still image capability. There is plenty of drama in the weather conditions they've faced. Are they saving it for the big screen, or what?
I looks like they have two Gopro cameras so there should be a video of the trip.
12222278404_b5c25017ea_o.jpg

Twitter update, team finished charging at Rapid City, SD supercharger @ 17:30. This is roughly same spot where a fan spotted them @ 15:30. I think twitter update may be an hour behind, but not much.

- - - Updated - - -

Updated arrival times

Rapid City, SD - 17:00 ET
Murdo, SD - 19:00 ET
Worthington, MN - 22:00 to 2300 ET
Albert Lea, MN - 1:00 ET
Madison, WI - 6:00 ET
Rockford, IL - 7:00 ET

Last edited: