Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

How to plan out a Supercharger only route

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone know of a tool to help plan out a road-trip using only superchargers for recharging? I know about the supercharger map on the Tesla Motors page but that doesn't let you select charge stations and build a route with driving distances, directions, and drive times. I have tried creating a route manually with maps.google.com, but it stopped working after 24 stops. I need more than 24 stops to get from Atlanta to Seattle. I also know about the Supercharger button on the 17" touchscreen in the car when in Nav mode, but I want to plan the trip out ahead of time.

Click this link to see an Example of that I am looking for but I need more than 24 stops. I need about twice that. Yes I know I can create two routes, each with 24 stops at superchargers, but if someone out there has a better solution I would like to use it. Even better would be a tool that you put in a start location like Atlanta and and end location like Seattle and it would plot out the route with the stops at all the appropreate Superchargers.

Silver Model S P85

Just today I used Microsoft MapPoint to plan a route from my home to Las Vegas (for a road trip to a conference this summer). I have a spreadsheet with the Supercharger addresses in it; I linked that sheet to the MapPoint map, and then added the superchargers to my route plan, setting each for a 30min stopover. I set MapPoint to my usual road-trip driving schedule (leave around 9am, stop driving around 6pm), and the route showed it will take two overnights (near Ashland OR and Los Banos CA) to get to Las Vegas. Also shows no more than about 140mi between Supercharger stops (and around 160mi between the Barstow SC and Vegas).

Though I didn't do it for this trip (since I'm routing along the Supercharger corridor), MapPoint can also track estimated range and suggest where along a route you'd need to charge. I've been using MapPoint to plan road trips for many years -- and before that, its older brother Streets & Trips.

Superchargers

I love this map, you can change your range and it will put a circle around how far that range will take you from the supercharger.

That map is awesome!!

What I hate most about the one on the TeslaMotors site, is that they expect you to know where every city in every state is.

Coming down from WA to CA, I have no idea where e.g. Buellton vs. Vacaville vs. Folsom is, so I've just been randomly copying and pasting addresses into google maps till I find the one I'm looking for. What a pain.

My MS is on order, but I have been playing around with the Supercharger.info site on my iPad. Is there anyway to save a planned route? Is it possible to download a planned site to my car's nav system or do I need to sit in my car for hours to re-enter the planned route?

Stall is one parking space where one car can charge. Each supercharger cabinet services two stalls. The two cars or stalls share the combined power output of the single supercharger cabinet.

Occasionally there are an odd number of stalls. This means one of the stalls has it's own supercharger cabinet and is not sharing. Most of the pedestals for the stalls are labeled and you can figure out which one it is.

I did a sample route on my home computer yesterday for Chapel Hill NC to Columbia SC via Superchargers. Oddly, it directed me down I-95 from Lumberton NC to Santee SC then up to Columbia, even though there was range to make the much faster and shorter direct segment from Lumberton to Columbia via I-20. Any ideas why?

Fun fact to know and tell: you can type things like "Lusk Supercharger" or "Madison supercharger" into Google Maps, it seems to know exactly where they all are.

(Oddly, it doesn't get the location of the Denver DIA charger correct even though it knows the correct address -- that's a very bizarre bug.)

Fun fact to know and tell: you can type things like "Lusk Supercharger" or "Madison supercharger" into Google Maps, it seems to know exactly where they all are.

(Oddly, it doesn't get the location of the Denver DIA charger correct even though it knows the correct address -- that's a very bizarre bug.)

It knows because someone told it where it is. That's the power of Google. If the Denver DIA charger is incorrect after you search for it, just click the "Suggest an edit" link and drag the marker to the exact location. Eventually, it will learn the correct location.