Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Seems like good news. Aftermarket interest is a plus.

I keep wondering if someone will graft the P85 inverter into an S85. Seems like a potential low-hanging fruit for an aftermarket performance upgrade, with an actual target market. If the ordering forum is any indication, there's a lot of S85 owners who regret not getting a P85.

Still, you'd need deep pockets to even attempt it, including an S85 and a P85 you're willing to tinker with. And who knows if the car will recognize the upgraded part, or if the software will lock it out.

Still, it'd be really fun to experiment with. I'm fascinated with the idea of opening an EV performance shop.

I'm not looking forward to this....this will be a gaudy atrocity. American tuners' visions of aesthetic modification is unappealing (save for APR widebody on an S2000). They should stick with big bodied/bloated muscle cars....not get into a car, that although is big, pulls it off with lean European proportions.

I'd much rather a tuner like Liberty Walk, Fabulous, Novitec Rosso, or Hamann come with their vision and versions of a tuned Model S. They know how to make leaner looking cars look great.

I'm guessing it will be mostly cosmetic with perhaps some suspension improvements. Still, it's a good thing for Tesla I think. I like the idea of 3rd parties getting involved. As Elon would say, the more the merrier. It's all good press versus the "other kind" we've been getting. I'm happy to hear it.

If they can reprogram the inverter they could probably boost the power going to the motor while sacrificing battery longevity, assuming the motor/inverter can handle more power than the pack can deliver. They could also replace the pack with a high C rate chemistry, sacrifice range, and lighten the vehicle while also increasing power. They could also lower the gearing of the gear reduction to improve 0-60 times while giving up some at the top end.