Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

19" Summer Tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I see a lot of discussion of winter tires, but I'm interested in replacing my all-season Goodyear tires (which are worn out) with summer tires. I don't like the idea that I have compromise tires, and I live in San Diego, where we don't actually get all the seasons, anyway.

Any recommendations? Would it be a good idea to get the 19" version of the Continental ExtremeContact DW (which is what Tesla provides with 21" wheels)?

I have done a bunch of research and have heard good things about the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus which seems to be quiet, LLR, pretty good wet and dry performance, and decent mileage wear warranty. Will be putting them on the 19" Rial wheels in gunmetal in April. Tirerack delivers them mounted and balanced with Tesla compatible TPMS sensors. Hope that helps, cheers!

Depends on what you are looking for in a tire of course.

The conti DW in 19" is a good bet IMO especially since Tesla uses it for the 21" tires... Also worth considering are the Michelin Pilot A/S 3, they have excellent wet weather traction and grip levels on dry pavement equal to a summer tire with a 500 wear rating.

I'll likely replace my 19" goodyears with Pilot Super Sports in 255/40/R19 or even more likely Nokian Zline in 255/40/R19. The Zlines have lower rolling resistance than the PSS...

To summarize, if you don't want to overthink it get the Conti DW.

If you prioritize wet weather traction or treadlife get the Michelin Pilot A/S 3.

If you want tons of grip on dry pavement and don't mind non stock sizing get the Michelin Pilot Super Sport or Nokian Zlines.

My $0.02.

I see a lot of discussion of winter tires, but I'm interested in replacing my all-season Goodyear tires (which are worn out) with summer tires. I don't like the idea that I have compromise tires, and I live in San Diego, where we don't actually get all the seasons, anyway.

Any recommendations? Would it be a good idea to get the 19" version of the Continental ExtremeContact DW (which is what Tesla provides with 21" wheels)?

If you like to gun it though and want the tires to stick better the DWs are ok. Not as sticky as some maybe but should last around 10,000 as opposed to 3,000 for some of the more racing style summer tires.