Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hawaii Bill SB2651 - EV parking/charging station requirement penalty

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One of our property managers at work forwarded this...the premise is that the law has no teeth since there aren't any inspections or fines. So Senator Gabbard would like to add a penalty fine for non-compliance. Here's the details....

Senator Mike Gabbard's proposed bill SB2651 will be heard this Thursday afternoon at 3:30 PM HST. As a LEAF owner, he has personally experienced the inconvenience and hassle of not being able to charge his vehicle away from home. His bill proposes a penalty starting at $5K and escalating to $50K. [Download the PDF from here.]

Please show support for this bill by providing your testimony. It can be a short letter. The process is simple. Register (if you haven't yet), sign in at the top right hand corner, and then upload your file. This will show our legislators the importance of putting teeth into this law so that property owners will take this seriously.

Let's show representation across the state -- on all islands. We also encourage those that live out of state to show support and comment on the importance of a complete charging infrastructure. Those of you who own EVs can write about the need to be able to charge away from home, such as being able to reach certain destinations, charging while you're shopping or eating.

The absolute deadline for filing your testimony is 3:30 PM HST Thursday January 30, 2014.

Note: our Visitors Working Group have identified over a hundred properties on Maui that fall within the jurisdiction of this law. See list.

Haw. Rev. Stat. § 489-2: Hawaii Statutes - Section 489-2: Definitions.

"Place of public accommodation" means a business, accommodation, refreshment, entertainment, recreation, or transportation facility of any kind whose goods, services, facilities, privileges, advantages, or accommodations are extended, offered, sold, or otherwise made available to the general public as customers, clients, or visitors. By way of example, but not of limitation, place of public accommodationincludes facilities of the following types:
(1) A facility providing services relating to travel or transportation;
(2) An inn, hotel, motel, or other establishment that provides lodging to transient guests;
(3) A restaurant, cafeteria, lunchroom, lunch counter, soda fountain, or other facility principally engaged in selling food for consumption on the premises of a retail establishment;
(4) A shopping center or any establishment that sells goods or services at retail;
(5) An establishment licensed under chapter 281 doing business under a class 4, 5, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, or 12 license, as defined in section 281-31;
(6) A motion picture theater, other theater, auditorium, convention center, lecture hall, concert hall, sports arena, stadium, or other place of exhibition or entertainment;
(7) A barber shop, beauty shop, bathhouse, swimming pool, gymnasium, reducing or massage salon, or other establishment conducted to serve the health, appearance, or physical condition of persons;
(8) A park, a campsite, or trailer facility, or other recreation facility;
(9) A comfort station; or a dispensary, clinic, hospital, convalescent home, or other institution for the infirm;
(10) A professional office of a health care provider, as defined in section 323D-2, or other similar service establishment;
(11) A mortuary or undertaking establishment; and
(12) An establishment that is physically located within the premises of an establishment otherwise covered by this definition, or within the premises of which is physically located a covered establishment, and which holds itself out as serving patrons of the covered establishment.

If I understand this post correctly, it is stating that all businesses listed should install and provide charging services for EVs or face a penalty. Is that a correct reading of this? My fear would be a political back-lash that might hurt more than it helps.

If I understand this post correctly, it is stating that all businesses listed should install and provide charging services for EVs or face a penalty. Is that a correct reading of this? My fear would be a political back-lash that might hurt more than it helps.

This is in response to the lack of a provision for enforcement for a law that was passed in April 2012 (Act 89) that requires all parking lots with more than 100 spaces to have an electric-vehicle charging station and a special stall. I believe property owners had until last summer to comply. It is part of an initiative by the State to integrate EVs into the State's transportation policy goals. Hawaii has the highest number of charging stations per capita probably due in large part to this law, but some property owners probably figured out there were no repercussions if they didn't comply.

I submitted testimony on line to support the bill plus added the need for enforcement of penalizing those darn ICE cars parked in EV only stalls!

Me too. I also wrote about the ICE vehicles denying EV owners access to dedicated EV spaces.

I don't wish for anyone to have to pay a fine/penalty to the city or state for parking a non-EV in an EV dedicated space. But its a choice. The non-EV driver had a choice and if they choose poorly, they could pay a fine. I hope no one would have to pay a fine, and that the potential fine would be sufficient deterrent for them to choose wisely.

Please take 10 minutes a write a short note to support this bill for Sen Gabbard. He's one of the few that is supporting EV and PV and he deserves to hear from each of us at least once in a while.

What I want to know if the law has anything about how EV stalls/charging stations are needed. Is it just 100 stalls or more, one stall/charging station is needed. What about beyond 200?

I think they're multiples. Once you get more than 100 stalls, you need more EV dedicated stalls.
FWIW: this is what I found.
§291-71 Designation of parking spaces for electric vehicles; charging system. (a) Places of public accommodation with at least one hundred parking spaces available for use by the general public shall have at least one parking space exclusively for electric vehicles and equipped with an electric vehicle charging system located anywhere in the parking structure or lot by July 1, 2012; provided that no parking space designated for electric vehicles shall displace or reduce accessible stalls required by the Americans with Disabilities Act Accessibility Guidelines. Spaces shall be designated, clearly marked, and the exclusive designation enforced. Owners of multiple parking facilities within the State may designate and electrify fewer parking spaces than required in one or more of their owned properties; provided that the scheduled requirement is met for the total number of aggregate spaces on all of their owned properties.
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol05_Ch0261-0319/HRS0291/HRS_0291-0071.htm
not that they are enforcing this one, but here it is anyway.
§291-72 Parking spaces reserved for electric vehicles; penalties. (a) Beginning January 1, 2013, any person who parks a non-electric vehicle in a space designated and marked as reserved for electric vehicles shall receive a warning.
(b) Beginning July 1, 2013, any person who parks a non-electric vehicle in a space designated and marked as reserved for electric vehicles shall be guilty of a traffic infraction under chapter 291D and shall be fined not less than $50 nor more than $100, and shall pay any costs incurred by the court related to assessing the fine.
(c) Any citation issued under this section may be mailed to the violator pursuant to section 291C-165(b). [L 2009, c 156, pt of §4; am L 2012, c 89, §3]
http://www.capitol.hawaii.gov/hrscurrent/Vol05_Ch0261-0319/HRS0291/HRS_0291-0071.htm

Here's the latest status of the bill...

1/30/2014 S The committee(s) on ENE recommend(s) that the measure be PASSED, WITH AMENDMENTS. The votes in ENE were as follows: 3 Aye(s): Senator(s) Gabbard, Ruderman, Chun Oakland; Aye(s) with reservations: none ; 0 No(es): none; and 2 Excused: Senator(s) Ihara, Slom.