Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Driver from Pembroke, Ontario

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi All, just wanted to introduce myself and S2108, a fully loaded 85kW Signature model formerly owned by Colin B, of Waterdown, Ontario. Ownership transfer was interesting, not least of which being the mixed messages from Tesla of 'no warranty transfer' to 'limited warranty transfer' to 'full warranty transfer' that I finally got from California (Signature owners can count on full warranty transfer, including roadside assistance, without needing to purchase an additional service plan, that was the last word). I will spare readers my initial hiccups with the car as they were user-error related (departing delivery location with only half battery, to discover destination outlet wiring was insufficient to charge - requiring roadside towing to local CS40 charger, ugh). To date, my experience has been amazing, but several cold weather issues, almost all related to outdoor parking have plagued my experience. I am an architect, developing a resort, and while the property is under development, heated indoor storage is not yet available at home or work. Issues as diverse as seized parking brakes, to non-retracting handles (ice), windshield crack (-35C), non-booting centre console (-20 or lower), hugely reduced range (30-50%) even with climate off (-30C) and reasonable driving, sticking charge cable (ice) and charge faults (new firmware reduction to 30amps from 40, just because my 100amp boiler switches on, I have 400amp service), frost inside rear lights, camera constantly covered in snow and road muck, rear and side winsows in perpetual state of frost/freeze, etc.

I expect as my learning curve summits, and indoor storage becomes available, most of these issues will evaporate as well. I guess I just feel a little surprised that some more hardcore winter testing didn't resolve some of these issues before production. I commute 100km (round trip) daily and take a 560km (round trip) every 2 weeks. So far, even in extreme cold, I have not been inconvenienced - albeit I have had to slow waaaaaayyy down sometimes to arrive at destinations with a reasonable margin of battery charge. Am very eager to hear news of HWY 401 superchargers, as this is a corridor I will be on regularly this Summer - if anyone knows status of these - please let me know!

If anyone in the Toronto/Ottawa/Gatineau/Montreal area enjoys camping or triathlons - please touch base :)

Andy

Ahhh I wondered if the new owner of S2108 would show up on TMC. :)

Congrats on your purchase and welcome to TMC!

Sorry to hear about all the cold weather issues are having. I haven't had any problems with cold weather except reduced range even this winter as my car is garaged...