Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interior dome lights not turning on when unlocking

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

liuping

Jul 23, 2013
San Diego
I noticed sometimes the interior dome lights come one when the door handles present (either by walking up, or with double clicking the fob) and sometimes they don't.

They always seem to come on if I unlock the car via the phone app.

Does anyone else have this issue, or should I have service take a look?

Check the settings for "dome". Sometimes they change after an update.

It is set to "Auto", and they do come one when I open the door, so at least it's partially working.

Just to be sure, turned the auto mode off and on again, which did not change the behavior. Then I did the crazy turn it off, reboot, turn it on reboot trick that seemed to help some settings that got stuck after updates. But still most of the time the lights stay off until I actually open the door.

My interior lights turn on when I walk up to the car and the handles auto present. I am on 5.8.4. I have the tech package and my P85 included the lighting package. Perhaps it's a loose connection?

It might be, but it always seems to turn on when the door is actually opened.

I thought it might be sleep related, but it behaves similarly when I wake it before going out to the car.

It strange because I have walked up to the car, and it presented handles, but no dome lights. Then if I lock it and then unlock it with the fob, the handles present and the dome comes on.

I have also unlocked it with the fob, and the handles come out, but no dome light. Then lock it with the fob, and walk up and it presents the handles and dome comes one.

I've had nearly every combination work or not.

They installed 5.8.7 today at the service center (to possibly help with my charge door not opening consistently), so I'll try again tonight and see if it's consistent.

Same problem for me but also includes exterior lighting that normally comes on when unlocking the car. Worked fine until 2 weeks ago. Now works sometimes and does not work sometimes. Took my car into service (great team in Bellevue) but was not able to fix. Waiting on Engineering to determine problem and come up with a solution. It is annoying . . .

My car was sleeping all night, I just walked up to it... Lo and behold, door handles present but no interior dome lights until I open the door. Car was not sleeping when I tried this yesterday, so appears to be sleep related. I wonder if this behavior is intentional?

My car was sleeping all night, I just walked up to it... Lo and behold, door handles present but no interior dome lights until I open the door. Car was not sleeping when I tried this yesterday, so appears to be sleep related. I wonder if this behavior is intentional?

I thought that initially, but I've woken up the car via the phone app before approaching, and it did not light up. Maybe it's not fully awake when accessed by phone.

I have tried everything suggested in this thread that "seemed" to work, and have not found one protocol that actually "stays" working (i.e., dome lights on when auto-present). Not sure if this may be relevant, but I think this may have been working properly (100%) before I changed the battery in both of my FOBs.