Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Time For Some Destination Chargers!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey guys,
I think we as a Tesla community need to start working together to get some destination chargers installed, as they are relatively sparse in the midwest. I have sent emails to Alpine Valley and Devil's Head ski resorts, inquiring about the availability of chargers and informing them about the free HPWC program. However, I don't think either took my requests seriously and got half baked responses. Hoping this thread can be a community where we post desired sites and then we can work together into pressuring locations for installs. If anyone else has desired locations I am happy to help them out, and I hope a bunch of us will get involved! So, I say we set a goal of having 20 committed locations by the end of March, though understandable if they don't get installed until nicer weather. Anyone else up for it? Also, congrats to Islandbay for taking the lead on this front with at your resort, we have 1/20 out of the way!
Relevant links
-http://www.recargo.com -show the business how they can advertise their charger
- email [email protected] to apply for the free chargers.
- anyone have relevant research on increases in business due to chargers?

I'm a long time lurker but this got me to finally register;) I would love chargers at some of the Wisconsin Dells resorts(Kalahari, Great Wolf etc.-my kids like the variety) so that I would not need to go out of the way to Mauston, along with ski hills. Alpine and Granite Peak are my family's favorites. I'll send emails tonight to some of the
Dells resorts, along with Alpine, Devils Head and Granite Peak. Anyone have suggestions on what might be convincing information to them? And, if anyone else has locations they would like a charger at I am happy to add that to my mailing list, will probably even visit it with how much my family travels on weekends.

Also, where is Islandbay's resort? And thank you for installing the chargers :)

Does Tesla have PDF or website with information about their destination charging program? Having something to give to hotels and other locations when we bug them about charging might help convince more of them to look into it.

Does Tesla have PDF or website with information about their destination charging program? Having something to give to hotels and other locations when we bug them about charging might help convince more of them to look into it.

Just sent an email to the destination charging email address. Will update you if I hear anything. Also, love the Door County location, especially after there is a supercharger for chicagoans to get up there stress free-update us if we can count that one as part of our goal!

Will email Granite Peak as well, those are pretty good slopes for the midwest.

Door County Office is putting in chargers in the Spring.

And, according to their manager, Door County is "home" to a TM executive no less, so it shouldn't take much arm twisting to get an HPWC or two at their facility?
Awesome, wonder who the exec is...looked at the bios and JP is from Wisconsin.

I just sent inquiring emails about charging to Granite Peak, Great Wolf, Kalahari, Trump Chicago and Four seasons Chicago. Will see if any of them have solutions we are unaware of.
Again, if any one else has locations I am happy to do the same, just give me an email address-though if you go there regularly you are definitely the best to contact them initially.

Has there been any effort to enlist the destination operators in lobbying nearby service station operators to add chargers in place of additional gas pumps? I'm amazed that there seems to be no interest at all from the major energy companies in trying to sell electricity to EV drivers. They have staked out all the prime real estate locations, and should be able to perceive an emerging market by now.

Has there been any effort to enlist the destination operators in lobbying nearby service station operators to add chargers in place of additional gas pumps? I'm amazed that there seems to be no interest at all from the major energy companies in trying to sell electricity to EV drivers. They have staked out all the prime real estate locations, and should be able to perceive an emerging market by now.

This makes me think about future refueling/recharging stations.

http://archinect.com/people/project/34127047/delta-fueling-station-fuel-station-of-the-future/34712698

ife7sg2e0tk7iw1t.jpg

Heard back from Trump Hotel in downtown Chicago, and the Kalahari and Great Wolf Lodge in the Wisconsin Dells. Trump has an "outlet" but it sounded like a 110 volt, but the Great Wolf and Kalahari appeared as though they might have something more specialized. I'll get back to you on what I hear back.

Below is the email I sent trump, which I sent modified(minus target customer wording) to the water parks. Any critiques?

Thanks for looking into that ----,

Assuming it is a standard 110 volt outlet it is not of much use to me. Those can only charge my car at three mph, so a twelve hour stay would only yield 36 miles of charge, when the car can hold 265. I suggest you guys look into installing a Tesla HPWC, which can charge at 60 MPH. Tesla has recently soft-launched a program where they will give this equipment to destinations for free, as long as they will install it and make it available to guests. To apply to be part of the program email [email protected]. The costs of install depends on the buildings situation, but is relatively simple electrical work and is generally only a few hundred dollars. Also, electricity is dirt cheap, fully charging ones battery is only a few dollars. I personally would really appreciate this, but so would all the other Tesla customers, who have made the Model S outsell every other luxury car in its class (i.e. Mercedes S Class, Audi A7 & A8, BMW 7 series). Assuming you go ahead with the install shoot me an email and I will put a posting on the Tesla Motors Club forums, which are followed by many of the Tesla owners, I am sure that will get you some more visitors. Also, list them as plugshare.com, which is the standard website EV owners use to plan where to charge.

If I can be of any help in the process shoot me an email. Tesla owners are generally your target customers and while small the group is rapidly growing(Tesla took a few percent of U.S. luxury auto sales last year), so installing now will get you some loyalty down the road.

Last edited:
I would like to see something in UP and Traverse City. The Grand Traverse Resort has 2 J-plugs that don't work. Also somewhere on Manatoulin Island in Lake Huron and Beaver Island in Lake Michigan.

On Beaver? Trying to figure out the use case for something like that … it's not a very big island. If you're staying for a couple of days a 110 would work just fine.

Good to hear bbamrah! Elecblue, could you send/call those locations and voice your desire for charging infrastructure, telling them about the Tesla HPWC program(if you are unsure what I'm talking about let me know), and then post contact info here in case anyone else would like to stay there and thus rally for chargers. Potential customers are much more exciting to these businesses then just some guy just passionate about it.

Interesting map dbfish, have you visited all of those chargers?

We may be at 2/20 locations found for the goal!

Great America?
Woodfield Mall?
Gibson's (for dining patrons)?
Lamb's Farm
Chicago Botanic Gardens?

Thoughts? If these are desirable destinations, I'd be up for trying to petition them to think of EV owning patrons.
Great America and the Botanic Gardens seem like great locations to me! Definitely someone could go to these for a day trip from far away. The others would be ok locations but I wouldn't drive as far or stay at them for as long...though I'm not much of a shopper;) If you want o start a campaign w/ any of these I would be happy to support it.

Not sure if it has been posted but the American Club in Kohler has a J1772 with 30 amp service.

Thanks for the heads up bb, but I wish places like this would get on Plugshare.com or chargepoint or something! how am I supposed to know where these are!? if your not advertising you have charging how do you expect to get the full benefits of having a charging station on site.