Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Colorado SuperCharger Buildout

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
(?)
Looks like I-25 south may be next, perhaps Castle Rock and then Trinidad or thereabouts.... Then Sterling on I-76 and Burlington on I-70 east in 2015. Something south of Denver asap would be great.

Attachments

• ColoSC.jpg
    ColoSC.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 748
Last edited:
Good point. Westbound is the constraint. Maybe Limon, CO at about 145 to the top of the Continental Divide, but probably at least 55Kwh in winter due to the climb. We can mingle with the 18 wheeler rigs out there in Limon....

Excellent news! I hope Tesla's directions are good when they finally post this one, because it's not easy to find if you don't know where to look. I like the palletized arrangement of two pedestals and the associated Supercharger cabinet: neat and compact. But where's the transformer and distribution cabinet we've gotten used to looking for? Or does this design obviate them?

I predict there will be a lot of local owners charging at this location in addition to the gallery's test drive cars, with transient charging at the bottom of the list. For now.

Excellent news! I hope Tesla's directions are good when they finally post this one, because it's not easy to find if you don't know where to look. I like the palletized arrangement of two pedestals and the associated Supercharger cabinet: neat and compact. But where's the transformer and distribution cabinet we've gotten used to looking for? Or does this design obviate them?

I predict there will be a lot of local owners charging at this location in addition to the gallery's test drive cars, with transient charging at the bottom of the list. For now.

If it is like the Bethesda install, they just pulled a 480-Volt, 3-phase+neutral connection from a panel on site through a large conduit. With conventional breakers, 200 Amp service is needed; with the more modern, electronic breakers used in the Supercharger sites, 175 Amp service is needed.

Each pallet/stall-pair needs a connection of this size.

From talking to the store and looking at the wire they ran at Bethesda, it looks like they ran 240V (their words I'm guessing they really mean 208V). They ran 500 mcm Cu cable, and have the Supercharger turned down to 90kW and the fuses in the disconnect box looked like they were 500A fuses, not 200A. I wish I had my meter to really verify that when I was there...

Peter

If it is like the Bethesda install, they just pulled a 480-Volt, 3-phase+neutral connection from a panel on site through a large conduit. With conventional breakers, 200 Amp service is needed; with the more modern, electronic breakers used in the Supercharger sites, 175 Amp service is needed.

Each pallet/stall-pair needs a connection of this size.

So, do I undertand this correctly? SpCs like those at Park Meadows, and in Maryland somewhere, are being called "mobile"...but really, they're no more, or even less, mobile than those firmly planted homes at a "Mobile Home" Park. They're firmly tied to the local grid - not being supplied by juice from an associated generator, that is - and there's no expectation of their being transported at a moment's notice to some other location.
Rather, the only distinction to these is that there is no u/g wiring or affixing the charging posts themselves to the ground.

Am I missing something? Might local codes and some such restrictions come into play here?

From talking to the store and looking at the wire they ran at Bethesda, it looks like they ran 240V (their words I'm guessing they really mean 208V). They ran 500 mcm Cu cable, and have the Supercharger turned down to 90kW and the fuses in the disconnect box looked like they were 500A fuses, not 200A. I wish I had my meter to really verify that when I was there...
Peter

Good to know. I had just assumed 480V for efficiency. 208V would work...

As you can see from the label on a Supercharger, it can take in 160A at 480V, or 280A at 208V, both 3-phase. Here are some AC power calculations:
  1. 160A*480V*sqrt(3) = 133 KW
  2. 280A*208V*sqrt(3) = 101 kW
With AC to DC, charger inefficiency, maybe 10% or so, that is completely consistent with 120 kW at 480Volts and 90kW at 208 Volts. Also, with conventional circuit breakers, the install would require 280A/0.8 or 350A breakers. Finally, 500 MCM Cu THWN-2 (what Tesla has specified in the past) is rated for up to 430 Amps, so everything is consistent.

This is still a pretty heavy load on a panel somewhere; it makes putting an HPWC in your home look simple. :wink:

Supercharger Plate.JPG

- - - Updated - - -

So, do I undertand this correctly? SpCs like those at Park Meadows, and in Maryland somewhere, are being called "mobile"...but really, they're no more, or even less, mobile than those firmly planted homes at a "Mobile Home" Park. They're firmly tied to the local grid - not being supplied by juice from an associated generator, that is - and there's no expectation of their being transported at a moment's notice to some other location.
Rather, the only distinction to these is that there is no u/g wiring or affixing the charging posts themselves to the ground.

Am I missing something? Might local codes and some such restrictions come into play here?

I think that your analogy is perfect. Normal Superchargers are like normal, detached homes, and mobile Superchargers are like mobile homes. Mobile homes may come in on wheels, but normally get (semi-)permanent connections to power, water, and sewer. Also, like mobile homes, mobile Superchargers are factory built, and the build-out/install is a lot quicker.

Last edited:
Friday afternoon TMC staff in the store told me they thought they would be live by Wednesday latest. They also said they would "not be on the Supercharger map". Probably due to the permanent demo parking which usually is 2-3 cars. It would be great if they left the HPWC up where they are, and the two spaces on either side . In the past they had told me the mall would not give them more Tesla space. That's a touchy subject with other stores, etc. I'm sure. Anyway, good surprise news.. I'll go by this week. I'm 15 minutes away.

The Leviton 2000 is interesting, that is a 200 amp power meter. Perhaps they had to account for power to lighting or ??? I have not seen that at any other supercharger.

http://www.grainger.com/product/19C697?gclid=CL2EsMe4x7wCFUQRpAodBzYAYw&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Electrical-_-Distribution-_-19C697&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=19C697&ef_id=UvVD9AAABcPsqlGT:20140212203701:s

Meter,Three Phase,120/208 Volt,200 Amp

Meter, Three Phase, 120/208 Volt, 200 Amp

LEVITON

Price: $789.00 / each

Qty:

+Add to list

Deliver one time only

Auto-Reorder Every 1 2 3 4 5 6 Month(s)

Product ships within 5 business days from supplier
AddRepair & Replacement Coverage for $129.00 each.

0 Stars

Be the first to write a review | Ask & Answer

Item # 19C697
Mfr. Model # 2K208-2W
UNSPSC # 41113708
Catalog Page # 439
Shipping Weight 8.0 lbs.

Country of Origin United States Of AmericaCountry of Origin is subject to change.

Technical Specs

ItemEnergy Meter
TypeThree Phase
Voltage120/208
Amps200
Accuracy+/- 1%
Size6 ft. X 6" X 4"
Description/Special Features10 Year Warranty
StandardsUL and CSA

Yesterday it appeared all construction complete, but the pedestals were still covered in plastic. Probably waiting for inspection/testing most likely. Will be interesting to see how they manage the use and parking there.
Looks great. Nice upgrade.