Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blackvue DR550HD Camera Issues

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dratifk

Model Y LR Seven Seater RED
Hi all I have this camera installed although it seems to work great. I can connect with WiFI no issues using the iOS app. I can't get the time fixed. Tried everything. Tried deleting the blackvue/record folder, Tired deleting every file on sd Card and restating unit, Tried ungrading to latest english firmware. I set the time to New York Eastern Standard time in the app and on the PC viewer app.

Time is always wrong currently one day ahead and about 6 hrs ahead. I'm wondering if I'm having issues because the GPS unit can't get a link through Tesla's windshield . Can't figure it out. I emailed the seller and he just sent me to a Russion website where I can't understand what they are talking about;

Recovery of GPS, time zone adjustment, the English voice prompts... - Ñ￾Ñ‚Ñ€. 1 - BlackVue DR550GW-2CH - in English - Car-DVR Info - Page 1

Anyone have any suggestions?

I have had similar issues since installing mine, so I hope someone will post a solution. My WiFi connection only worked for a couple weeks and has never been able to connect since then. The GPS has never worked--it initially showed me in Winnipeg for a few weeks (I'm in Phoenix), then somewhere in Asia, then occasionally in the desert of eastern Arizona. It's always a surprise where it will show me, and it only shows 1 location, not the actually driving history/route.

Let me know if you get any helpful tips. Their websites are crap for support. My friend got the newer 2 camera version and has had no problems. I might upgrade to that if I can't get this one working properly.

I have just installed the dual camera Blackvue system. See some of my notes at:

DIY Dashcam (BlackVue 550 fronrear) - constant power source from dash

Yes, I too had problems with the wrong date/time for a few days. It does seem like the system needs a good solid GPS lock for a significant period of time to be able to reset the clock to your local time zone. Note that the GPS is intermittent, which I attribute to the coated windshield. This bug has been reported on some of the dash camera blogs on the web, along with other issues with Blackvue systems.

There is a relatively new firmware update out in the past 1-2 weeks, available on the blackvue.com/en site (caution--malware has been detected on this site, so caution and have a good anti-malware/anti-virus app running on your PC).

My GPS goes in and out. I find that if I power cycle the unit, it helps recapture GPS. Also I find that reformatting the micro SD card frequently seems to fix minor glitches.

My WiFi works done (so far). If you cannot connect, and you hear the 'WiFi On' audio when you activate it, you should check that your WiFi settings have not gotten corrupted. You can try removing the SD card, connecting it via USB to your computer, running the Blackvue app and re-programming the card.

So far I am pretty happy with the DR550, but time will tell. Older units (single camera) have run hot and have had thermal failures (esp. GPS). The micro SD cards fail after about 6 months to 1 year and need to be replaced.

Last edited:
I too have had these cameras for about two weeks.
I have also had some issues:
After 1.21 firmware update, the images are all out of focus, especially at farther than say, the dashboard. Others on different forums have had this issue also. Anyone here the same?
GPS seems not very robust on mine either. Needs a long time to catch on. Sometimes doesn't get a fix at all.
Rear camera developed strange orange and green colouring artefacts yesterday. Will try to wiggle the cable, looks like a cable issue.

On the whole: wonderful camera if it works. Too many issues though. I hope they will fix it with new firmware soon, otherwise it goes back to the seller.
(also worried about the above post stating that the sd cards need replacement every six months. Hope this is not true....)

Does anyone know how to revert the firmware to a lower version? It refuses mine when I insert the sd card with the older firmware installed...

For those having timezone issues...

What file do you have in the BlackView\citytime directory on your microSD card?

When I connect the Microsd card to my laptop there was no city time folder or subfolder. I wonder if i can get the date and time to reset if I hook it up in another car and get the time to reset and then transfer in to the Tesla?

When I connect the Microsd card to my laptop there was no city time folder or subfolder.
Here are the folders on mine:

• BlackVue
    • Application
    • citytime
    • Config
    • Doc
    • Record
    • Software
    • System
    • TimeZone

One of the normal steps for setting the time zone that seems to be reliable is to find the right file for you in the TimeZone subfolder, and copy it into the citytime subfolder.

The forum won't let me upload files with no extension or with a(n artificial) .bin extension. But...

You should be able to find them in this ZIP file:
BlackVue DR500GW-HD | Dash Cam Talk

Thanks I already have the latest Firmware. I was hoping to just get the correct time city file and just throw it in the folder and restart the camera. email is dratifk at Yahoo.com

Has anyone successfully connected to the Wifi on the 550 with an Android device? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a Google Nexus 7 (2013) and neither of the can connect to the Blackvue's Wifi. An iOS device connects just fine however. I've noted the same issues with the intermittent GPS. Also every now and again the rear camera loses brightness for lack of a better description so you can't really see anything. Or it color shifts and everything is way out of whack. Haven't figured out what causes that as it doesn't happen all the time. I do wish there was an easier way of getting at the sdcard. I'm tempted to take the cover off the end of it so I don't have to disconnect both cables to swap cards.

Has anyone successfully connected to the Wifi on the 550 with an Android device? I've got a Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and a Google Nexus 7 (2013) and neither of the can connect to the Blackvue's Wifi. An iOS device connects just fine however. I've noted the same issues with the intermittent GPS. Also every now and again the rear camera loses brightness for lack of a better description so you can't really see anything. Or it color shifts and everything is way out of whack. Haven't figured out what causes that as it doesn't happen all the time. I do wish there was an easier way of getting at the sdcard. I'm tempted to take the cover off the end of it so I don't have to disconnect both cables to swap cards.

I was able to get mine working with both note 3 and nexus 7. I am still having problems with the time zone though.

You might have a bad cable from front to rear camera. Note that there is now a new version cable with more shielding to eliminate the RF interference issue (affects AM radio and DAB in EU).
I still have intermittent GPS issues--likely due to the shielded front windshield.
I concur with the idea of removing the cover over the microSD card. Ugly, but saves disconnecting/connecting the rear camera...and in a post on one of the dash cam forums, a user had the rear camera coax connector fail inside the camera. In my case, since I keep the camera on 12V power 24/7, I still would need to pull the power connector, which seems more robust.

I had the issue with date time at first but finally fixed by:
1) setting the time zone on the app to central instead of eastern because I think the daylight savings thing is not automatically updated.
2) deleting all the recored data files/video from the SD card (I think having files with the wrong date/time stamp somehow confuses the system).

Recording has been flaky for me. Lately there are only a few files on the card. Will try reformatting the card before updating firmware since it sounds like the firmware has video quality issues...

Update:
Reformatting fixed the problem. Seems odd and a bit of a hassle that the company recommends frequent (weekly) reformatting of the card.

Last edited:
I am seriously considering installing a Dash Cam, but not sure which one. Reading the posts in this thread it appears that features which makes this camera a good option e.g. GPS, Wi-Fi, etc. are problematic. Even though there is no discussion around Motion Activation and assuming that it works flawlessly, should that be the only reason for me to buy this brand? Other threads also talk about heating issues. Would someone please advise me on why I should buy this camera?

I see that this screen-less cam has a WiFi connection for pulling up on your iPhone or Android....but what then would happen if you're pulled over in a stretch of road outside a WiFi signal and want to show the trooper that No Officer I Was Not Speeding (and so on...). Any luck? Any kind of bluetooth connection for this?

I see that this screen-less cam has a WiFi connection for pulling up on your iPhone or Android....but what then would happen if you're pulled over in a stretch of road outside a WiFi signal and want to show the trooper that No Officer I Was Not Speeding (and so on...). Any luck? Any kind of bluetooth connection for this?
I think that is what a WiFi connection is supposed to accomplish, it is simply a connection between your phone and the device. Instead of Bluetooth protocol this device connects with your phone through WiFi protocol. Just like at home one connects a computer to a wireless router over WiFi, except that through your home router connection you can go to the web and only thing WiFi accomplishes in this case is connects to Blackvue to retrieve your video files so you can play the video on your phone i.e. no internet. Hope this helps.
BTW: I see that some users are having problems with WiFi connection for this device.