Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I am super excited to receive my Tesla S 85kw in February :smile: as you can imagine: Of course I will pick it up personally and will drive it down to Nice/France. I will go via Brussels (first overnight stop), then Lyon (via Luxembourg) for a second overnight stop then onto the south.

What challenges me currently is where can I recharge as quickly as possible. Brussels should be no problem - but afterwards in France? Does anyone have experience who would be willing to share it with me or can anyone help in planning this correctly?

I would greatly appreciate it. I will post a review after the trip.

Thanks very much, looking forward to some replies.

Hi all,

I am super excited to receive my Tesla S 85kw in February :smile: as you can imagine: Of course I will pick it up personally and will drive it down to Nice/France. I will go via Brussels (first overnight stop), then Lyon (via Luxembourg) for a second overnight stop then onto the south.

What challenges me currently is where can I recharge as quickly as possible. Brussels should be no problem - but afterwards in France? Does anyone have experience who would be willing to share it with me or can anyone help in planning this correctly?

I would greatly appreciate it. I will post a review after the trip.

Thanks very much, looking forward to some replies.

Make sure to order & get the correct cables with the correct connectors in advance... So you can bring them.
Some others here on the forum have experience driving in France and can advise you on that..

does it exist at every Ikea? Are they fast chargers?

I haven't tried this route myself, but I've been researching how to drive down to Nice this summer without taking the Autozug from Hamburg to Alessandria, Italy.

IKEA's French chargers are listed here:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/fr_FR/france/bornes_recharge.html

I think most of the IKEA chargers in France are 22kW and use type2. Make sure you get both a type2 cable and a type3 cable before you embark on the trip.

You could take the N5 from Brussels to IKEA Reims. (280km)

Next stop could be the type2 charger at the BP service station in Maison Dieu near Avallon (280km), but note that this charging station has been out of order recently:

http://chargemap.com/points/details/aire-de-la-chaponne

There should be a type2 fast charger (requires rfid card) in Lyon (250km):

http://www.portdelyon.fr/actualites...borne-de-recharge-rapide-au-port-de-lyon.aspx
http://chargemap.com/points/details/cnr-port-de-lyon-edouard-herriot

Then head for IKEA in Avignon (230km)

From there you should be able to reach Monaco (280km) if you take it easy.

Or you can drive at motorway speeds and just stop at Leclerc in Fréjus on the way. (200km)

http://chargemap.com/points/details/leclerc-st-raphael

Remember the car uses quite a bit more electricity when driving at 130kmph than at 80kmph. It's a lesson you'll learn first hand on your first roadtrip. :)

Also: Research backup plans. Get access cards to chargers on beforehand, if you need any. Bring sufficient cables, extension cords and adapters for those obscure plan C and D charging outlets.

Last edited:
you should already get a type 3 cable beforehand, it will give you a lot more flexibility in France. Also, don't forget for timing purposes that the Ikea 22 kW is only useful if you've ordered your Tesla with Dual Chargers. Otherwise it will load with just 11 kW, and with the current limitations in the firmware that boils down to a loading speed of about 40 km per hour.

This might interest you as well, a write up of a trip from Tilburg to Madrid
1750kms in a weekend from Tilburg to Madrid

Thanks for all your replies and sorry for my late reply.

Clearly I need to get a type 2 cable (I asked Tesla about type 3 - they never heard about it :confused:), and i should also get a 16A to 32 A adapter/converter.
Desperately looking for both now without success so far. Can anyone give me an advice of where to get it? I am also willing to rent it from someone, if I find a person willing to do that...

I look into the routes and get back to you.

Clearly I need to get a type 2 cable (I asked Tesla about type 3 - they never heard about it :confused:), and i should also get a 16A to 32 A adapter/converter.
Desperately looking for both now without success so far. Can anyone give me an advice of where to get it? I am also willing to rent it from someone, if I find a person willing to do that...

Maybe you should call the Tesla shop in Paris directly and ask them about the Type3c cable, and wether you can use the same Type3c-to-Type2 cable on the Model S as the Renault Zoe uses.

Then you can check with a Renault Zoe dealer in France and see if they can get you a Type3c-to-Type2 cable. The Renault Zoe should have the same Type2 inlet as the Tesla Model S.

Or maybe the nice people at Auto Bleue in Nice can help you to locate where to get these cables in the Cannes-Nice-Monaco area?

I am planningto drive from Amsterdam region to Super Devoluy by the end of this month(already did St. Anton in December).
Plan is to goin via Germany and Switzerland, yes it is +200km more, but it will give theadvantage of the Superchargers most of the way.

Day one:

·
SC Zevenaar
· SC Wilnsdorf
· SC Bad Rappenau
· Freiburg (4 hours waiting)
· SC Lully
· Grenoble (sleep + charge)

The second dayfor the last 100km with 1,3km elevation.

Cables:
· Type 2
· Type 3
· Blue Plug
· Reversed wired
· Home charger

Chargingcards:
· Thenew motion (Germany)
· RWE(via SMS service)
· IkeaFrance (should be free)
· BPFrance (also should be free)

I am planningto drive from Amsterdam region to Super Devoluy by the end of this month(already did St. Anton in December).
Plan is to goin via Germany and Switzerland, yes it is +200km more, but it will give theadvantage of the Superchargers most of the way.

Day one:

·
SC Zevenaar
· SC Wilnsdorf
· SC Bad Rappenau
· Freiburg (4 hours waiting)
· SC Lully
· Grenoble (sleep + charge)

The second dayfor the last 100km with 1,3km elevation.

Cables:
· Type 2
· Type 3
· Blue Plug
· Reversed wired
· Home charger

Chargingcards:
· Thenew motion (Germany)
· RWE(via SMS service)
· IkeaFrance (should be free)
· BPFrance (also should be free)

Very interesting. I'm planning to do a similar trip at some point. Let us know how the RWE stuff works out in Freiburg.

Lots of useful info here, thanks!

However, the key question would be, "Where is our SC network, Mr Musk, that you spent a lot of time pushing a few weeks ago when you were here in Europe?"

After the Amsterdam, Munich and Oslo town meetings I expected to see some movement on the European rollout - at the very least an update in the woeful map on teslamotors.com

But nearly two weeks on we have nothing, zippo, nix!

Personally I find it a bit frustrating.

Hi.

I'm the one who did the Tilburg to Madrid in a weekend drive (with my family of 5 on board). I have a blog post that describes all the charge cable options I recommend (How to Charge your Tesla Model S at Home | Drive Dream). To that I would add that I have made a 16A to 32A convertor for other Model S drivers and can do the same for you if there is time. It is very easy to do though.

You can contact me through the blog and I'll give you my mobile number so we can talk. When are you going to get the car?

I have a friend with a Model S who lives near you. I can get you in touch with him too.