Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

CBC National News TV Feature on Tesla and Road Trip Capability Coming soon...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Vancouver requested that we be interviewed by a crack team from Canada's most prestigious TV news organization: CBC The National. We jumped at the chance and hosted the team at our house and our driving environment for most of a day recently. Both my wife and I were extensively and very intelligently interviewed, and did our best to educate the team and their viewership as to the delights of Tesla and EV ownership.

Then on Friday (Jan. 24) we arranged to meet them at the Burlington, WA Supercharger site for a live shot of us pulling in to charge after a real, non-staged 175 mile run from the Ellensburg supercharger, as part of a real road trip from our home to Clarkston, WA and back. Two other cars were there contemporaneously with us, so those owners got interviews impromptu as well (and we made new friends!).

The team is also going to California to do their own test drives and interviews at Tesla HQ.

We do not yet know when this will air, or what its finished format will be, but I will update this thread as soon as I know.

Should be available in USA. It's their content, and they're the Canadian public broadcaster.

Not necessarily... I just tried to watch The National from my ipad -- just brings up a list of other CBC videos and doesn't play.

We still have a Shaw Direct dish mounted on the side of our house... Hasn't been used in years though. I may have to hook the box back up and see if my sister-in-law can add it on her account...

I wonder why they didn't choose Toronto? ... :wink:

Tesla Vancouver requested that we be interviewed by a crack team from Canada's most prestigious TV news organization: CBC The National. We jumped at the chance and hosted the team at our house and our driving environment for most of a day recently. Both my wife and I were extensively and very intelligently interviewed, and did our best to educate the team and their viewership as to the delights of Tesla and EV ownership.

Then on Friday (Jan. 24) we arranged to meet them at the Burlington, WA Supercharger site for a live shot of us pulling in to charge after a real, non-staged 175 mile run from the Ellensburg supercharger, as part of a real road trip from our home to Clarkston, WA and back. Two other cars were there contemporaneously with us, so those owners got interviews impromptu as well (and we made new friends!).

The team is also going to California to do their own test drives and interviews at Tesla HQ.

We do not yet know when this will air, or what its finished format will be, but I will update this thread as soon as I know.

What are you talkng about and what planet are you from?

I'm looking forward to watching it. Too bad it's on the CBC though which means very few people in Canada will see it, unless it happens to come on right after Hockey Night in Canada. CBC News has the worst viewer ratings of any news broadcast in Canada. In fact, CBC is in crises mode when it comes to ratings: CBC in Crisis: Ratings vs. Quality - CBC Cutbacks & Advertising | Wade Rowland

CBC has the highest ratings by far than GLOBAL and CTV combined!

Anybody who watches news in Canada watches CBC NATIONAL!

CBC has the highest ratings by far than GLOBAL and CTV combined!

Anybody who watches news in Canada watches CBC NATIONAL!

Please don't make things up. CBC National News doesn't even come close to CTV National News in the ratings. Here's my source:

http://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30...2013-14/2013-14_01_13_TV_ME_NationalTop30.pdf

BBM Canada - Weekly Top 30 TV Programs

CTV National News was #16 on the ratings list last week OF ALL TV PROGRAMS! A few weeks ago it was #7 on the list:

http://www.bbm.ca/_documents/top_30_tv_programs_english/2013-14/2013-14_12_23_TV_ME_NationalTop30.pdf

CBC National News doesn't even make the list because it has such low viewer-ship. This isn't even a contest. CBC News ratings (in fact the entire channel) are a JOKE in Canada. In fact, CBC National News rates lower than Duck Dynasty:

"Those who deny the crisis fail to realize that Canadians prefer Duck Dynasty to most CBC shows, including the national news. The most important and costly CBC service has an audience crisis and CBC needs to respond to it.Is it time to rethink the role of CBC TV?"

Canadian Media Research: CBCs Audience Crisis: CBC TV Audience is Down 40%, Lowest in History

I don't know anyone who watches CBC News, national or local, and last time I checked, I live in Canada. That news cast is an embarrassment to Canada. I agree with the comment in the link in my first post here about the CBC National News:

"grossly overproduced The National, which Doyle harpoons as “sometimes a disgrace, a meandering journey through the mind of a flibbertigibbit who spent the day garnering news bits from a hodgepodge of online sources.”

Grey on Grey, what is the source for your comments, please?

Last edited:
Did this story ever air?

Maybe they are saving it for when Tesla finally turns on some Canadian superchargers. I was in the Yorkdale store for my test drive last week and the guy there hinted that I might see announcements within a couple of weeks. I assume he was just talking off the cuff, and not aware of the actual date. But I can't see CBC wanting to do a story on this without a catalyst, which would be Canadian superchargers.

Did this story ever air?

It airs tonight, for Earth Day!!!! Just got this from CBC:

Hello from Vancouver, Our documentary on electric cars will air this evening on the National on CBC Television and the online text story is now posted on CBC.ca. A big thank you to each of you for
your time and please feel free to get back to us with your thoughts about the story or future stories.
-James

PS: To watch the documentary google CBC THE NATIONAL and by 7 p.m. PST you should be able to "watch the show" by clicking on a box on the right of the screen and a little later, when our techs get to it, they'll isolate the story and put a link on the left side of the screen.

--

James Roberts
CBC National News
Cell 604 340 8477
[email protected]
Twitter @jamesroberts34

-----

Here is a direct link to the text story: Earth Day 2014: Electric cars at a 'tipping point' - Technology Science - CBC News

- - - Updated - - -

How much range did you have coming from Clarkston to Ellensburg? I'm just nervous about going from Palouse to Ellensburg in winter over Vantage grade.

Google shows it 181 miles from Palouse to Ellensburg, which is 20 miles shorter than from Clarkston. So in an 85, it should not be tough, even in winter. Of course, by next winter, there will be another supercharger near Ritzville, so then you could go that way. The Vantage grade is a bit fearsome, indeed, and in winter, we have occasionally arrived in Ellensburg with only a few miles to spare, but we have never failed to make it. All this with a full range charge, of course!