Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you look at the Tesla supercharger map and sequencing of future chargers you see a pattern:

1 North and south routes on each coast
2 Elons east and west route
3 More east and west routes

What is missing is any north to south routes at any locations other than the coasts!
Doesn't Tesla think that folks in Minnesota / Wisconsin, Chicago , Detroit, Cleveland ect want to go south or the folks south of them want to go north?

This applies pretty much throughout the country with the exception of the coasts.

Ron

I'm inconvenienced by this too, but Tesla can't do everything at once and they have to start somewhere. The problem I have is that even when they finish it still won't be particularly convenient. I'll have to go about 150 miles out of the way compared to the way I go now. Sure it will be faster than stopping at RV parks, but it still adds a good 2.5 hours each way. My hope is that they will put in some extras in more convenient locations.

Agreed. I also do many more north - south trips than I do east - west trips. Although great for marketing, how many people have a genuine need to make coast to coast trips in their car? I'd rather see those extra chargers put in more used spots instead of places like rural South Dakota just to complete a coast to coast travel.

So, yes they know there will be people who want to travel in other ways, but those will be low priority, especially since they will have more inconvenience rather than intolerable.

Based on the number of posts about people waiting four to fifteen minutes extra for a Supercharge, I'd say it borders on the intolerable for many people.

There are plenty of busy north south routes obviously just not a Tesla priority. Once the network is complete at the end of 2015, as shown, there will be NO complete north south routes in the interior . NONE!!! Not even from Chicago the third largest city in the US to the Florida area the fourth largest state!

As I see it, the growth targets busy routes first and then fills in.

So, yes they know there will be people who want to travel in other ways, but those will be low priority, especially since they will have more inconvenience rather than intolerable.

There are plenty of busy north south routes obviously just not a Tesla priority. Once the network is complete at the end of 2015, as shown, there will be NO complete north south routes in the interior . NONE!!! Not even from Chicago the third largest city in the US to the Florida area the fourth largest state!

There's seems to be the odd section that'd need an 85, or a diversion, but, the question is how many people make those trips?

If you have a problem, send an email to Supercharging and let them know. Robert, part-time Mainer, has done just that to try to get Tesla to provide charging on US-1. Tesla does seem to listen to reason on placement.

I'm inconvenienced by this too, but Tesla can't do everything at once and they have to start somewhere. The problem I have is that even when they finish it still won't be particularly convenient. I'll have to go about 150 miles out of the way compared to the way I go now. Sure it will be faster than stopping at RV parks, but it still adds a good 2.5 hours each way. My hope is that they will put in some extras in more convenient locations.

It will be late 2015 or 2016 before I can make my annual 500 mile trip north electrically. :crying:
So I'll continue to burn 40 gallons of diesel for the 1000 miles.

This seems pretty simple - Tesla put Superchargers where their customers are and where they most travel. I'm sure that we're all thinking the same thing that Elon's cross country trek will be a publicity stunk that will garner press attention and highlight the reality that Tesla has NO all-electric competition. I'm looking forward to a stock price bump when it happens . . . and I feel sorry for the kids having to sit in a car for that many days.

Or from the Upper Midwest (including Chicago, of course) to the South and Southwest. I've been bitching about Midwest (especially Chicago) to Florida routes for sometime now, and have emailed TM about it but the current map shows no results - not even for the most important channel to Florida - I-75 through Georgia.

This seems pretty simple - Tesla put Superchargers where their customers are and where they most travel. I'm sure that we're all thinking the same thing that Elon's cross country trek will be a publicity stunk that will garner press attention and highlight the reality that Tesla has NO all-electric competition. I'm looking forward to a stock price bump when it happens . . . and I feel sorry for the kids having to sit in a car for that many days.
Too bad there have been so few Tesla purchases in Georgia...OH WAIT! Atlanta has been selling truckloads!!! If Texas has an island what does Atlanta have? I guess that would be a desert!:wink:

I agree with all the griping. All SpCs should have been placed in all 999 appropriate places at once.
Chuckling out loud. I see what you did there! I have no complaints about where the chargers have been placed already...well, OK...to be honest, a bit of a complaint...but my main concern is looking at the map I am surprised where they are NOT being planned now. I, too, thought the I-75 would be a VERY logical next step but they are not even on the proposed map. California seems inundated and there are more planned for them. This does not detract from my love for the vehicle. I would love it even if there weren't a single supercharger invented! Besides that, there were at least 1,001 "appropriate" places. And mine was not included!!!:smile:

Well, they actually have quite a few Mass customers but haven't pushed their popular New England routes, focusing insread on the cross country route, which is actually LA Chicago, Chicago DC, because those routes include more customer travel while givig thempublicity of cross country travel. New England will come in mud season, I hope. It would be ideal to have them all done for Memorial Day, butit certainly dkesn't look like it.

But, following the Supercharger rollout, we can see that Tesla is currently working on the full Arizona map so they don't seem to have sacrificed everything for the road trip. With the cross-country route Elon route just needing Cranberry, PA, I'll be interested to see whether they keep up the pace, it'll drop off or it'll accelerate along with the additional production later in the year. Assuming $2k per car, 25k cars sold, that's $50M in the pot and they've built 85 with 11 under construction. At 6000 sales per quarter they'd add $12M per quarter, and if $250k per site, they could build 16 per month. Given ongoing site rental and operational costs, you could see only 2 or 3 Superchargers per week until sales pick up with increased cell supply and manufacturing capacity at the end of Q2.

Back to the main thread topic, I think it's really worth pressing Tesla on the routes you, as an owner, will want to take, because owner routes wouldn't be the same as the general population. If don't think it's unreasonable that a 60 owner should be able to travel from a node to any other node without needing perfect conditions or undue diversions and for contention and warranty sakes, I don't think Tesla will want to have lots of people range charging for an hour, blocking SCs so I assume they'll make adjustments to avoid some of the 200 mile hops that map is currently suggesting.

Last edited:
The I-95 and I-5 corridors were no-brainers as starting points, as well as the Texas Triangle. The cross-country route? I mark that up to publicity, and the route chosen to match a road trip from Elon's youth. I hope that, with that PR route up and running, The Tesla SC team will focus on the sites most valued by Tesla customers.

In New England the biggest gaps are at West Lebanon NH and Chardon MA. West Lebanon opens up Vermont and New Hampshire and is a necessary stepping stone to Montréal. Chardon is on the main Boston--NYC and Boston--Albany routes and pairs naturally with the new Greenwich CT SC to avoid the horrid I-95 truck corridor north of NYC.

California certainly has a lot of SCs, but it also is home to nearly half of all Model Ss sold in the US.

And none for Canada!
At least not for a while. They keep saying the Detroit-Montreal corridor will have them but nothing yet.

Originally they were supposed to be installed this month, then i heard end of Winter. Now I'm hearing End of 3rd Quarter. Yeah right!
My guess is we won't see them until next year, if that!

And none for Canada!
At least not for a while. They keep saying the Detroit-Montreal corridor will have them but nothing yet.

Originally they were supposed to be installed this month, then i heard end of Winter. Now I'm hearing End of 3rd Quarter. Yeah right!

My guess is that you will see the 2014 Canadian Superchargers installed this Summer and Fall. They will come...

And none for Canada!

this is the third thread you have posted this unsubstantiated rumor ... why the noise?