Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

first tesla taxi quebec city canada

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
the original article picture an all translate

:smile: this is the famous article all translate with picture

Attachments

• TESLA-TAXI first in North America_ The station _refueling_ is ready! _ Electric Drive.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 505
:smile: this is the famous article all translate with picture

Note that the end of every line is cut off in the PDF:

First point to address when we started our Discussion: needs charging, of course! Although Tesla can travel more than 400 Kilon

good conditions on a single charge under conditions of "taxi" which means town with plenty of stops (in winter, when arrested, h

continue to heat cockpit) and acceleration, I rather expect an average of 300 KM per charge "normal". Remember that Christian

charge to 100% every day, because it will damage the battery faster term. So Christian begins his day with a load of 90% and mu

be taken into account.

The First TAXI Tesla Model S in North America!

Here is the first fully equipped taxi Tesla Model S in North America. This car is a licensed taxi working in Quebec city equipped with taximeter, mobile radio, GPS dispatching unit, rooflight, etc. The owner purchase the 85KWH model of the Tesla Model S

3860744_orig.jpg

1583024_orig.jpg

6100681_orig.jpg

2812031_orig.jpg

8096348_orig.jpg

4835320_orig.jpg

4138860_orig.jpg

1907581_801684709861169_912608219_n.jpg

Here is the translation of the article (This is a free translation from an article written by Marie-Pier Duplessis, published in Le Soleil newspaper Voitures Électriques: le premier taxi en Amérique à Québec - Maxcomm Radio inc)

(Québec) The first ever electric taxi in North America, claims Tesla Motors, will be active in Québec city. The owner, Christian Roy, a 13 year taxi driver veteran, hopes other taxi drivers will follow his example.

«I don’t want to be unique, I want to show the example», says Mr Roy, who has been inspired by others in Norway. He admits that the economical advantages made him think about leaving the gas motor before the environmental advantages. «Taxis are big polluters because our vehicles engine are always running. In winter, we need cabin heating, while in summer, we need air conditioning. So, I believe we have to do our share to minimize our ecological footprint.»

So far, Mr Roy was spending almost 8000 $ in gas yearly, on top of investing 10 000 $ every year in maintenance and repairs on his old 2005 Subaru Legacy. He says having been convinced about the Tesla Model S when he heard that the automobile critic, Jacques Duval, for whom he has a lot of admiration, owns one. «As everyone, Jacques Duval was scared about the electric vehicle at first. But when he made the move, I told myself it was worth it.»

Christian Roy, who works for Taxi-Coop, had to purchase Tesla Model S for more than 70 000 $. In optimal condition, the electric vehicle can be on the road for over 400 km. He thinks he will accomplish over 250 km with a «electric top-up», which he will need about five hours from his home charger. In his opinion, his Hydro-Québec bill will be about 150 $ a month, which is a lot less than the 625 $ monthly gas consumption.

The company 4Degrees, a green Data Center in Québec city, accepted to sponsor Christian Roy’s new acquisition. «I also own a Tesla. The electric vehicle community is small, which contributed to the development of a one-year partnership», explains Martin Bouchard, 4Degrees President. He encourages his employees and clients to go electric by installing at least two chargers to his future buildings.

An ambassador

Christian Roy sees himself as an ambassador testing the 100 % electric vehicle reliability. Adding over 65 000 kilometers every year on the odometer, he knows the ultimate test will be at the moment he surpasses 180 000 kilometers, the manufacturer’s prolonged warranty. He will definitely keep notes in a logbook to share his own experiment.

His adventures already started before he even could go officially on the streets with his taxi. Since it is the first ever Tesla -Taxi in North America, he was not aware it would be difficult to find a functioning taximeter for his Model S. «My new taximeter has been shipped from England last Friday, I am confident to receive it soon.»

I expect Vancouver to have MANY EV Taxis as soon as it's possible. They have pretty much all been Prius' since they came out, with many of the guys having 500,000 - 800,000km on them. Gas is currently Cdn$1.40/liter in the city. I'm sure some will follow this guys lead and just jump into it with a Model S. Great to see!

With an SC in LV, its only a matter of time before someone uses a MS as taxi there. Free charging and lots of clientele who'd love to ride in a MS taxi.

Province of Quebec offers $20,000 rebate (instead of $8000) for taxi EV purchase (for the first 50... now 49). Quite an incentive. No sales tax, 20K less on purchase price, 1/10th of the cost in energy to operate (65,000 km per year), no oil change (up to 6 times a year without your car for a couple of hours). What more do you want? free booz maybe :)

Province of Quebec offers $20,000 rebate (instead of $8000) for taxi EV purchase (for the first 50... now 49). Quite an incentive. No sales tax, 20K less on purchase price, 1/10th of the cost in energy to operate (65,000 km per year), no oil change (up to 6 times a year without your car for a couple of hours). What more do you want? free booz maybe :)

1/10 of the cost of energy? When I've run the numbers it's more like 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of our minivan. I guess electricity is cheaper in Quebec, but still...

I spoke with a cab driver in Vancouver the other day and he said that him and his partner who share a Prius put 160,000km/year on the vehicle. In BC, cabs can only be a maximum of 6 years old before they must be replaced by law (according to him). They buy a Prius for 35k and sell it for $1800 six years later. I would be curious to see what a Model S with almost a million km on it would sell for after six years and how the battery would be performing in years 4,5,6.

1/10 of the cost of energy? When I've run the numbers it's more like 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of our minivan. I guess electricity is cheaper in Quebec, but still...

At roughly 200 Wh/km = 5 km/kWh and 7 cents/kWh it's 7 cents for 5 km or 1.4 cents/km. Fuel at $1.40/L and 10L/100 km = 10 km/L is 14 cents/km. There's your factor of ten.

Now, modify the assumptions a whole bunch of ways and you can get a much different factor. In the United States, for example, electricity can be 4 times as expensive, and fuel is less than 3/4 as expensive. Compare against a fuel-efficient car on the highway and you get a very different factor.

http://www.hydroquebec.com/publications/en/comparison_prices/pdf/comp_2013_en.pdf
Montreal 6.87 cents/kWh
San Francisco 22.94 cents/kWh