Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Battery Care & Maintenance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Basically, this is how I keep my battery in good health. How I maintain and keep everything is top condition despite my excessive use of my vehicle. Example, at 21,000 miles, I still have 207-209 Rated miles on 100% charge on my 60kW pack. When my car was delivered new 7 months 3 weeks 3 hrs and 46 minutes ago, my rated range was also 209 miles. ENJOY!

Some useful information I found:
http://mpoweruk.com/balancing.htm Information on the Balancing Battery packs, not Tesla related, but a good read.

http://www.icharger.co.nz/articles/ArticleId/6/Introduction-To-Lipo-Batteries.aspx Some more good info, based on RC Cars, but still have lithium batteries with multiple cells that need balancing and equalization.

http://www.automotive-eetimes.com/e...eters-part-1.html?cmp_id=71&news_id=222901215 I recommend EVERYONE READ THIS ONE!!! EVEN HAS DIAGRAMS! VERY IMPORTANT!

If the Mods agree, I'd like to see this sticky'd, at least the last link.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kman, you'll be a good test case for strong but careful use of the battery pack over time. It will be interesting to see if balancing the pack will become officially recommended by Tesla. It already seem so, at least from some service centers.

Y'all might want to wander over to the Roadster section of this forum. :) Lots of good information regarding battery care, which includes this and more. People seem to forget that Tesla put out a car before the Model S and there is a lot of data already available.

Y'all might want to wander over to the Roadster section of this forum. :) Lots of good information regarding battery care, which includes this and more. People seem to forget that Tesla put out a car before the Model S and there is a lot of data already available.

WHAT! Their was a car before the Model S????? @_@ I must have been Blinded by the Model S's Awesomeness ;)

All seriousness, if anyone can think of something I've missed, or has a question or needs something explained in more detail, Just let me know.

Bonnie, point noted, but it seems as though the MS battery formula might be significantly different from the Roadster. The fact that early MS cars are limited at the SuperCharger certainly suggests continuous changes in the battery construction. As encouraging as the Roadster long term use data is, I'm thinking we could be in for even better news as MS data comes in.

I'm still not sure I understand how one is supposed to be able to know when/if their battery is out of balance. Could you do a bullet point explanation of this? I grasp the concept, but people speak so confidently that "my pack is out of balance"...really? How do you know? How do you know how much it's out of balance, how do you know when it is in balance. You touched on it in the video, but still quite vague.

I'm still not sure I understand how one is supposed to be able to know when/if their battery is out of balance. Could you do a bullet point explanation of this? I grasp the concept, but people speak so confidently that "my pack is out of balance"...really? How do you know? How do you know how much it's out of balance, how do you know when it is in balance. You touched on it in the video, but still quite vague.
Basically if your not showing the range you used to get. all battery packs go out of balance, no way around that, it's to what degree they are. the more unbalanced, the lower the range. though, also factor in temperatures into the mix as we'll. where I charge up at 207-209 on a nice hot pack, or on a warm summer day, that same range charge will only display 190ish miles when cold like 15*F. but if you can do a baseline , or have a heated/stable temp garage, it is easier to tell.

Bonnie, point noted, but it seems as though the MS battery formula might be significantly different from the Roadster. The fact that early MS cars are limited at the SuperCharger certainly suggests continuous changes in the battery construction. As encouraging as the Roadster long term use data is, I'm thinking we could be in for even better news as MS data comes in.

You're totally right, of course. But in terms of pack balancing, ideal minimum and maximum percentages to keep the battery charged within, things like 'don't let sit at 100% or near 0%' - that advice has extended Roadster battery life and applies to extending Model S battery life.

And obviously you're all assuming Model S battery data will apply to future models ... since this video says it is also for Model X and Model E, two future models that could possibly have different battery chemistries. Yet to be fair, the same basic 'good battery housekeeping' rules should continue to valid. Worked for the Roadster, appears to be working for the Model S, and will likely be the standard going forward.

My point, of course, is that Roadster owners supplied much of the data that proved out Tesla's guidelines. It doesn't matter that the Roadster battery is older. It's because it IS older that you have guidelines for the Model S, as shared in this video. And if you want even MORE info, I was only saying that we do have an area on this forum where it is discussed in depth.

Center console insert?
Ahhh, not sure on that one. It will put more things within my older boys reach (He sits in front seat due to disability), that and it's FARRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Outside my budget right now. I'm just scraping by right now.

Although, if someone would be willing to donate the use of a Center Console Insert for the making of a video I'd be happy to do the video and then return the Console. I'm willing to drive distances to pick up (well, not like it costs anything to go distances now ;)

Great video. I thought Gracie was a nice touch.
Gracie is my niece. Shes in the trunk haha (I love saying that, it was especially fun one day putting the kids in the trunk, all the while a cop was parked next to me staring at me bug eyed. As soon as I closed the trunk lid he jumped out and started yelling at me. A quick preview of the Jump Seats and he was in instant love with the car...)
My youngest Geno was in the back seat, and we were waiting in the parking lot at my oldest's school, for Vinny to get out.