Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Unscheduled charge?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

scaesare

Mar 14, 2013
NoVA
Well, that was interesting... my car seems to have taken a brief unscheduled charge. If VisibleTesla (a great little app by jpasqua here) is to be believed, my car decided to start charging at about 7:12am this morning and finished 35 minutes later at 90% SOC.

What's odd is that I don't have this scheduled anywhere. My car is itself scheduled to start at 2am. The VisibleTesla app can initiate charging, but I currently do not have it set to do so (I double checked), but rather only report changes. The app does initiate HVAC on every morning at 7am, but that's not when the charging started.

I've had this identical setup running for some time, and this is the first time I've seen that happen. I've had the car parked for a couple of days... but it's attached to shore power... so it should be topped back up after the normal 2am charge, so I wouldn't hav eexpected it to decide to charge on it's own just a short time later. It never has previously that I've seen.

Odd.

Was the car there a while? When I have seen this, it was when the vampire needed to wake up and take a drink so the battery would not get too low.

It has been parked since Monday... perhaps that was it. I'm assuming this is the 12v battery charging, as the main pack sould have been topped off a few hour previously...

Does the 12V DC-DC charger automatically draw shore power if plugged in (as does the HVAC)?

Was the car there a while? When I have seen this, it was when the vampire needed to wake up and take a drink so the battery would not get too low.

In my experience, the car will top itself up every other day, but it always respects the timer if set. I left for vacation with my timer set for 10:00 PM and when it did top up, it always initiated at 10:00 PM which meant I didn't end up using On-Peak electricity inadvertently.

Like mknox said, it's probably just a top off. I seem to recall that the car will allow itself to charge up to six hours after charging is scheduled, so if you schedule it for 2 a.m., then 7:12 is still within its allowable window.

Trnsl8r is correct.

The 12V is recharged from the main battery, and the main battery will be topped up once its SOC is 3% below your setpoint. If that happens within the 6 hour window, it will charge immediately, otherwise wait for the next scheduled start time.