Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger - Bethesda, MD (Permanently Closed, Oct 2016)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Reactions: Mknac
Does anyone live in the area where they could take some pictures of this supposedly "temporary" location. I'm interested to know if its going to built like all of the other locations. Thanks.

Randomly I used to work just down the street but unfortunately I don't work at that client anymore.

Last edited:
I travel near the mall on a regular basis. I'll try to stop by and take pictures over the next few days.

See my annotated picture of the parts of a Supercharger Site at Tesla Supercharger network - Page 312.

For a Mobile Supercharger, things may be very different. The basic Supercharger Cabinet will have to be somewhere, but maybe hidden in a truck or trailer. The actual Charging Station Pedestal will have to be somewhere visible. My guess is that there will not be any Transformer as seen in this picture and the "Distribution Center" will be replaced with a Tesla Energy Storage unit connected to grid power (in a building) with a 1" or so diameter cable (50-100A, 208-240V service).

Pictures will be wonderful!

See my annotated picture of the parts of a Supercharger Site at Tesla Supercharger network - Page 312.

For a Mobile Supercharger, things may be very different. The basic Supercharger Cabinet will have to be somewhere, but maybe hidden in a truck or trailer. The actual Charging Station Pedestal will have to be somewhere visible. My guess is that there will not be any Transformer as seen in this picture and the "Distribution Center" will be replaced with a Tesla Energy Storage unit connected to grid power (in a building) with a 1" or so diameter cable (50-100A, 208-240V service).

Pictures will be wonderful!

Cottonwood thanks again for the insight. Would this configuration be a lot less expensive? Just not understanding the motive to make it temporary or mobile rather than just adding another location.

- - - Updated - - -

I travel near the mall on a regular basis. I'll try to stop by and take pictures over the next few days.

Great thanks!

Cottonwood thanks again for the insight. Would this configuration be a lot less expensive? Just not understanding the motive to make it temporary or mobile rather than just adding another location.

My guess is that the mobile version is for demos, temporary locations, and where you don't have time to go through all the details of a permanent install done. Per charging stall, and certainly per charges a day, without big queues, the mobile will probably always be more expensive. The local energy storage (at least 100 kW-hr, and probably a few 100 kW-hr) will make a connection to grid a lot simpler though.

Let's see how this story unfolds...

They had one of the mobile superchargers at the European auto show last year, which was talked about here, but I could not find any of the pictures, so I drew out a picture fo what that one looked like.
photo-1.JPG

Found it! The hardware is there but not hooked up yet. They are in the area where Tesla's HPWCs are located in the basement of the garage nearest the Nordstrom entrance (270 side). Interesting configuration. Sorry for not having more pictures, but I started talking to the electrician that was already onsite at 7:45 and got distracted. He didn't know much other than this one should be operational within two weeks AND that it is temporary until they get more equipment in. He seemed to think there will be two additional bays (four total) at this location in the near future.

newsupercharger.jpg

supercharger2.jpg

I'm surprised to see a supercharger go in so close to a major metropolitan area. I thought they were being purposely spaced out on the highways between major cities. This is great news nevertheless, I'm just wondering if they have changed their location policy.

TMC is so awesome.

I'm surprised to see a supercharger go in so close to a major metropolitan area. I thought they were being purposely spaced out on the highways between major cities. This is great news nevertheless, I'm just wondering if they have changed their location policy.

TMC is so awesome.

Las Vegas, Chicago and NY have them as well. I understand your point though, but there are some others out there as well.

TMC is so awesome.

Having a few superchargers where the show rooms are located is not a bad idea.

1/ The showroom can use it to quickly charge the demo cars between demos. During a busy day maybe an HPWC isn't enough?

2/ The showroom can demonstrate the superchargers and prospective owners can see how quickly the model S charges.

3/ It still helps distance travel. Granted it encourages people to go into the mall. Hopefully people will use it to go get food, etc. but not abandon their cars for a four hour shopping spree (although the mall probably would like that.)