Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Rear Liftgate Sunshade on Tesla Store

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Constructed of lightweight mesh fabric with a collapsible rigid frame, the rear sunshade blocks two thirds of solar thermal load without compromising rearward visibility. Easily removable, the sunshade is installed onto the interior of the rear hatch window. When removed, the shade collapses and stores in a 16-inch diameter pouch. The sunshade is compatible with all Model S trim levels, with or without Rear Facing Seats. No service installation necessary. However, if you need assistance installing your new rear sunshade, our Service Center staff would be happy to assist you.

Shop Tesla Gear Rear Liftgate Sunshade

IMG_2827_1024x1024.jpg

IMG_2846_1024x1024.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2820_1024x1024.jpg
    IMG_2820_1024x1024.jpg
    647.3 KB · Views: 2,342
Got my rear shade in the mail, the other day. Here are some observations:

1. Tesla is making a LOT of money off this product. There is no way this thing, including the one-time-use zipper pouch costs more than $10 to make. (But hey, it's Tesla!)
2. It comes in a giant cardboard box, when it really only needed a 12"x18" padded envelope.
3. It takes a bit of work to jam it into the window gaps all around, but it does fit well.
4. Now, all I see in the rear view mirror is wrinkled black fabric.
5. I have much less visibility in the back as it almost block all the light due to the angle of the window especially at night.
When the sun hits it, it actually lights the whole rear window up, causing a very distracting blast of light in the mirror for the driver (see pic)
6. It does help with keeping the kiddos cooler in the back, so there's that.

As you can imagine I'm a bit disappointed in the fit, finish, and functionality of the product. For $90 and the Tesla name, I expected better.
I'm returning it and putting that money toward a darker tint.

shade.jpg

Interesting Chris. With a some gentle effort, mine fit in the trim gaps with zero wrinkles and looks very factory. I have not noticeed any distracting light effect and the visibility out the back window via the mirror is much better than my merceds powered shade. I am very happy and keeping mine.

Interesting Chris. With a some gentle effort, mine fit in the trim gaps with zero wrinkles and looks very factory. I have not noticeed any distracting light effect and the visibility out the back window via the mirror is much better than my mercedes powered shade. I am very happy and keeping mine.

I've even left mine out in the sun/warm car thinking it would get rid of the wrinkles. I think the glinting comes from the type of material used. If it wasn't so shiny, it wouldn't be an issue.

How many mins to install it ? ( I was considering taking it off at dusk and reinstalling in each AM when I leave for work - feasible?)

A few seconds the first time. If you do it a lot I suspect it will be even less. However, I just leave mine on at night because it's great for reducing headlight glare and I mostly use the camera rather than the mirror anyway.

Got my rear shade in the mail, the other day. Here are some observations:

1. Tesla is making a LOT of money off this product. There is no way this thing, including the one-time-use zipper pouch costs more than $10 to make. (But hey, it's Tesla!)
2. It comes in a giant cardboard box, when it really only needed a 12"x18" padded envelope.
3. It takes a bit of work to jam it into the window gaps all around, but it does fit well.
4. Now, all I see in the rear view mirror is wrinkled black fabric.
5. I have much less visibility in the back as it almost block all the light due to the angle of the window especially at night.
When the sun hits it, it actually lights the whole rear window up, causing a very distracting blast of light in the mirror for the driver (see pic)
6. It does help with keeping the kiddos cooler in the back, so there's that.

As you can imagine I'm a bit disappointed in the fit, finish, and functionality of the product. For $90 and the Tesla name, I expected better.
I'm returning it and putting that money toward a darker tint.

View attachment 44262

lol thats horrible

good old window tint it is

Well, for what it's worth, mine did not ship in the small pouch all folded up, but rather fully flat in a plastic bag which I picked up from the service center. It literally installed in seconds with a little bit of fiddling to get it perfectly aligned. I envision keeping it in permanently as it does cut down on the headlight glare at night but is not so obtrusive as to really block the view through the rear window. YMMV.