Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Roadster Mobile charger GFCI keeps tripping

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My 1.5 Roadster mobile charger's built in GFCI keeps tripping to a point that it won't even start charging.... any ideas what I could do? I read in the forum some old posts that talk about a firmware upgrade (my firmware is up-to-date). I have been successfully charging for over a month with this charger.

Thanks in advance.

I had the same problem, and replaced the plug on my 110V spare cable after seeing those same posts. I don't remember if I used the same plug. I just picked whatever Home Depot had that looked water resistant. I used my fixed cable every day for almost a year with no issues. I stopped using the spare cable after I had a 220V outlet installed (for under $200!).

I had the same problem, and replaced the plug on my 110V spare cable after seeing those same posts. I don't remember if I used the same plug. I just picked whatever Home Depot had that looked water resistant. I used my fixed cable every day for almost a year with no issues. I stopped using the spare cable after I had a 220V outlet installed (for under $200!).

Thank you congyiwu... thats exactly what I wanted feedback on.

I would also like to suggest that you check that the grounding in your house is up to the latest standards, especially if it is an older house. My grounding was fine for 1960's standards, and I had similar problems to yours. I had the grounding in my house brought up to current code standards, and solved the problem. Besides, a little extra safety can't hurt, even if changing the plug solves your immediate problem.

My original UMC would make a clicking sound, depending on how you "wiggle" the head on the wall socket. It would turn on/off by itself corresponding to the clicking sound. Not sure if that's the GFCI tripping inside.

Brought it to the service center and they replaced the socket head for me.

I had a very similar problem and just replaced the GFCI plug. I guess mine went bad and for less than $20 and about 10 minutes of work I figured it was easy to just swap. Leviton 16693 15-Amp, 120-Volt, Grounded, Compact Automatic Reset Right Angle GFCI, RoHS Compliant, Black - Amazon.com

Thank you dhrivnak... thats a better option than the non-GFCI Leviton plug.

Jackyche, I called the service center and they happened to have an original replacement plug in stock - so they asked me to bring in the cable.

Thanks everyone for the help. This forum is great....