Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Our 7-Year-Old Hopes His “Tesla Flat Stanley” Can Visit Every Supercharger

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Project Completed. No more photos required. 85 Supercharges visited and photographed!
The wrap-up story begins here.

Final year-end presentation is here.

Again, Thank You to all the friends here. The story began here last January:

--The original post begins below--

Our son is in 1st grade and his class is doing a Flat Stanley project. It’s based on the Flat Stanley book series, and helps the children learn about geography while they exchange ideas, pictures, and questions with people around the world.
DSC04730tmc.jpg

His goal is to have pictures of his Flat Stanley visiting every Tesla Supercharger around the world. As you can see, he wanted his Flat Stanley to be a miniature version of him. We then drove to Quartzsite, AZ this morning to get the first picture.
FS Quartzsite.jpg

(Last year our son’s project resulted in the “How Many Kindergartners Can Fit Into a Tesla Model S” that received over 44,000 YouTube views in 3 weeks.)
This Tesla Flat Stanley project is our attempt to top last year’s project. We need your help.

If you’ll be using a supercharger and are willing to help our 7-year-old with his school project
1. Please download and print the Flat Stanley picture
2. Cut it out (optional)
3. Ask someone to take a picture of you holding Flat Stanley next to your car and the supercharger
4. Post the picture back here and tell us where it was taken.

Thank you!!! Here are the Supercharger locations we have Flat Stanley photos of:
(Scroll down for a list of as-of-yet unvisited Supercharger locations)

North America Superchargers Visited
1. Angola, IN (Thank You, Al Sherman)
2. Atascadero, CA (Thank you again, Tyl!)
3. Aurora, IL (Thank you, Shark)
4. Barstow, CA
5. Beaver, UT (Thank you, Denarius)
6. Blanding, UT (Thank you stevezzzz and again, MikeC. We now realize FS needs a jacket and an umbrella.)
7. Bethesda, MD (Thank you again EdA and Isabel!)
8. Buckeye, AZ (Thank you again, Tyl and Flat Stanley)
9. Buellton, CA (Thank you again, Tyl!)
10. Burlington, NC (Thanks dflye!)
11. Burlington, WA (Thank you Ugliest1)
12. Centralia, WA (Thank you, Ugliest1)
13. Cheyenne, WY (Thanks stevezzz!)
14. Columbus, TX (Thank you, dwkrueger)
15. Corning, CA (Thank you roblab)
16. Corsicana, TX (Thank you Cestevenson & family)
17. Cranberry, PA (Thank you shark)
18. Darien, CT (Northbound) (Thank you, David Rhee)
19. Darien, CT (Southbound) (Thank you again, David Rhee)
20. East Greenwich, SC (Thank you, David Rhee!)
21. Ellensburg, WA (Thank you, Six)
22. Farmington, NM (Thank you, MikeC -- that was a late night)
23. Flagstaff, AZ (Thanks Tyl!)
24. Folsom, CA (Thank you, Red40)
25. Fort Myers, FL (Thank you, NigelM)
26. Fremont, CA (The Factory! Thank you gg_got_a_tesla & son! and TM Director of Marketing)
27. Gallup, NM (Thank you MikeC)
28. Gilroy, CA (Thank you again, Tyl! and Red40)
29. Glen Allen, VA (Thank you again, EdA & Isabel! and ABVA)
30. Glenwood Springs, CO (Thanks Denarius)
31. Grand Junction, CO (Thanks Denarius!)
32. Grants Pass, OR (Thank you, Zextraterrestrial)
33. Greenwich, CT (south-bound) (Thank you EdA and Isabel)
34. Green River, UT (not yet activated) (Thank you, MikeC)
35. Hagerstown, MD (Thank you, Half Dollar Bill)
36. Hamilton, NJ (Thank you, NJ Plugin) (And AIMc for the photo with James Chen, Tesla’s vice president of regulatory affairs and associate general counsel)
37. Harris Ranch (Thanks Tyl!)
38. Hawthorne, CA (a mustl!), Thank you johnanniegibson)
39. Highland Park, IL (Thank you, Shark)
40. Holbrook, AZ (Thanks Tyl!)
41. Kingman, AZ (Thanks, mattthelm)
42. Lacross, WI (Thanks to crazybrit)
43. Lone Tree, CO (Thank you, again, MikeC)
44. Lumberton, NC (Thank you, pgiralt)
45. Lusk, WY (Thank you, Tesla Cross Country Team)
46. Macedonia, OH (Thanks JakeP!)
47. Madison, WI (Thanks to crazybrit)
48. Maumee, OH (Thank you shark)
49. Mauston, WI (Thanks to crazybrit and SEslinger)
50. Milford, CT (Northbound) (Thanks again to David Rhee)
51. Mishawaka, IN (Thank you, Al Sherman)
52. Moab, UT (Thanks Denarius!)
53. Newark, DE (Thanks AIMc!)
54. Normal, IL (Thanks to crazybrit)
55. Pleasant Prairie, WI (Thanks again to shark)
56. Plymouth, NC (Thank you, dflye, even arriving before it was listed, but was still operational!)
57. Port Orange, FL (Thank you, Splunge and thank you, pgiralt))
58. Port Saint Lucie, FL (Thank you again, Splunge and pgiralt)
59. Quartzsite, AZ
60. Rapid City, SD (Thank you, Tesla Cross Country Team
61. Rockford, IL (Thanks to crazybrit)
62. Rocky Mount, NC (Thanks dflye!)
63. Roseville, CA (Thank you, Kraken, twice)
64. San Marcos, TX (Thank you TXjak)
65. Santee, SC (Thank you, pgiralt)
66. Savannah, GA (Thank you, pgiralt)
67. Silverthorne, CO (Thanks Denarius!)
68. Somerset, PA (Thank you Half Dollar Bill)
69. Springfieldf, OR (Thank you, Zextraterrestrial)
70. St. Augustine, FL (Thanks, kvietor, his second ribbon-cutting ceremony! and Thank you, pgiralt)
71. St. Joseph, Michigan (Thank you michiganmodels)
72. Syosset, NY (Thank you again EdA and Isabel)
73. Tejon Ranch, CA (Again, thank you johnanniegibson)
74. Vacaville, CA (Thanks Kraken and Red40)
75. Waco, TX (Thank you Cestevenson & family)
76. Woodbridge, VA (Thank you chickensevil!)
77. Woodburn, OR (Thank you, KKH1 and Adiggs in a Roadster!!)
78. Yuma, AZ (Tyl, you rock!)

International Sites Visited (non-North-America)
1. Germany -- Bad Rappenau (Thank you Gerardf)
2. Germany -- Wilnsdorf (Thanks Gerardf)
3. Netherlands -- Oosterhout (Thanks Gerardf)
4. Netherlands -- Zevenaar (Thank you, Gerardf)
5. Norway -- Lillehammer (Thank you Tesla team)
6. Norway -- Cinderella, near Sundebru (Thank you Nicholas, Adam, and probably someone else)
7. UK -- Flat Stanley makes it to the UK, even though there are no Superchargers there yet!

Here is our running list of as-of-yet un-visited/un-photographed U.S. locations (some of which are not officially activated yet):
1. Albert Lea, MN
2. Detroit Lake, OR
3. Eau Claire, WI
4. Huntsville, TX
5. JFK Airport, NY
6. Milford, CT (South)
7. Mitchell, SD
8. Murdo, SD
9. Richfield, UT
10. Shasta, CA
11. Worthington, MN

Last edited:
Our son is in 1st grade and his class is doing a Flat Stanley project. It’s based on the Flat Stanley book series, and helps the children learn about geography while they exchange ideas, pictures, and questions with people around the world.
View attachment 41425

His goal is to have pictures of his Flat Stanley visiting every Tesla Supercharger around the world. As you can see, he wanted his Flat Stanley to be a miniature version of him. We then drove to Quartzsite, AZ this morning to get the first picture.
View attachment 41420

(Last year our son’s project resulted in the “How Many Kindergartners Can Fit Into a Tesla Model S” that received over 44,000 YouTube views in 3 weeks.)
This Tesla Flat Stanley project is our attempt to top last year’s project. We need your help.

If you’ll be using a supercharger and are willing to help our 7-year-old with his school project
1. Please download and print the Flat Stanley picture
2. Cut it out (optional)
3. Ask someone to take a picture of you holding Flat Stanley next to your car and the supercharger
4. Post the picture back here and tell us where it was taken.

Thank you!!! We’ll continually post the supercharger locations that we have.

Can get you one of Delaware SC but can't download the picture. You might want to PM a few of our German and Norwegian friends on TMC.

Last edited:
The drive-forward configuration makes the SCs more vulnerable to damage and complicates snow removal.

I agree that this configuration makes snow removal difficult; and I would not be surprised if a pedestal gets dinged by a plow (or by a Model S: the pedestal spacing is tight).

OTOH, it makes it much less likely that a stall will be ICE'd out of sheer ignorance.

@Monsoon: here's Tesla Flat Stanley at the Cheyenne Supercharger this morning during the first owner charges there.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,731
Last edited:
Thank you very much, stevezzz. You are the first to arrive. :)

It was great to see Tesla Flat Stanley at the Cheyenne Supercharter with Stevezzzz, Wycolo, and me; we all made it a day after the Supercharger opened. Because Steve and Wycolo had the first two Superchargers running, and Stevezzzz was further down the taper curve than Wycolo, I took 1A next to his 1B. It was in the 50's in Cheyenne and the Supercharger that was feeding Stevezzzz and me at full output for a while had its fan blasting to stay cool; it takes a little airflow to get rid of 12 kW or so of waste heat! It was interesting to see my charge rate ramp up as Steve's tapered down until my MS hit its own taper and started down the taper curve.

BTW, the Stalls in Cheyenne are 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B, so adjacent stalls share the same Supercharger cabinet, different than most new installs.

@Wattson: Wow I am glad you gave me a heads-up on this. I am going through Normal on Friday, at around 4:00-6:00pm (not sure exactly when). I was there on Sunday, but was the only one there. I am curious. Are the Normal SCs used by commuters? I saw it was in a bus/rail terminal. If so, will it be full when I come through?

Cottonwood - Were you able to confirm that adjacent stalls share (1A-1B and 2A-2B)? Normal, IL is also labeled like Cheyenne: 1A, 1B, 2A, 2B. The pairing at Normal is 1A-2A share a cabinet and 1B-2B share a cabinet. So the physical arrangement of pairing is like most other superchargers, but the naming convention is not. I've emailed the supercharger team asking if they could change the labels to be consistent with the naming convention elsewhere. I'm wondering if perhaps Normal was just poor labeling on the part of the install contractor. I've considering buying the letters and numbers myself, but I think that may be going too far.

- - - Updated - - -

Upon re-reading your post Cottonwood... I now understand that you confirmed the strange pairing. Still makes Normal... un-normal.

@Monsoon: I am bringing Flat Stanley with me on my treck back home. The challenge will be to find someone to take the photos. On the way down, I stopped at 5 SpCs and did not see another living soul the whole time! If I prop him up and take a photo, or tape him to the stanchion, does that count?

Last edited:
@Monsoon: I am bringing Flat Stanley with me on my trek back home. The challenge will be to find someone to take the photos. On the way down, I stopped at 5 SpCs and did not see another living soul the whole time! If I prop him up and take a photo, or tape him to the stanchion, does that count?

@crazybrit, Thank you. I think seeing people with Stanley makes a more interesting photo, but certainly no obligation. Take tape.

Flat Stanley visits a SuperCharger

His goal is to have pictures of his Flat Stanley visiting every Tesla Supercharger around the world. As you can see, he wanted his Flat Stanley (the 11x17 version) to be a miniature version of him. We then drove to Quartzsite, AZ this morning to get the first picture.
Since today was a delayed start at son's school due to a miniscule amount of snow last night, figured I'd head to the nearest SC (the one in Burlington, NC) with Flat Stanley and get a few pics!

One from cell phone (without me in the image):
IMG_2334.JPG

Another from regular camera on tripod with time delay (brought that along as I was certain there was no chance of anyone else being here at 7AM on a snow day in NC!):
IMG_2653.JPG

Have to see if I can sneak out to the Rocky Mount and/or Lumberton locations before any other Flat Stanley contributors arrive there!

You call that snow? That's too funny

Since today was a delayed start at son's school due to a miniscule amount of snow last night, figured I'd head to the nearest SC (the one in Burlington, NC) with Flat Stanley and get a few pics!

One from cell phone (without me in the image):
View attachment 41536

Another from regular camera on tripod with time delay (brought that along as I was certain there was no chance of anyone else being here at 7AM on a snow day in NC!):
View attachment 41537

Have to see if I can sneak out to the Rocky Mount and/or Lumberton locations before any other Flat Stanley contributors arrive there!

Flat Stanley visits the Delaware Supercharger. There is no way to catch anything in the photo that shows this is the Delaware Supercharger. Thus, I had 'UDEE' the University of Delaware mascot (A Blue Hen..Don't ask:wink:) visit with Stanley while he was at the SC.

Flat stanley.JPG

@PhilBa, yes, Flat Stanley does get around.

@AIMc, that was very clever! Thank you.

@Denarius, Thank you very much. Also, snaps to you for a great looking CLEAN car in the snow and ice. (not ICE)

Being in Arizona, I didn't realize Flat Stanley should be wearing a jacket.