Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Google+ video hangouts (TSLA & other investments)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

DaveT

Searcher of green pastures
Nov 15, 2012
Texas
The background: I’ve wanted a way where active members of the Investors Discussions group could get together and talk deeper about TSLA and investments. I’d love to be able to meet physically but I figured the next best thing would be to organize some video chats online so we could get to know each other and learn from each other.

The technology: Currently we’re using Google+ Hangouts for video chat. Google+ Hangouts isn’t the ideal solution but it’s the best we’ve got so far. They limit participants to 10 people. We can choose to have the hangout public (anyone can view) or private (only participants are allowed), so for these initial hangouts I’ve chosen to make them private. In order to join, you’ll need an invite to become a participant and not just a viewer. Google+ makes it a bit complicated to send out invites to participants, so when I post details of each hangout I’ll post details on how to get an invite. The short answer is that you’ll need to invite me (or the person hosting the hangout) into one of your circles and then I (or person hosting the format) will invite you into one of my circles (ie., Investors circle) and then I’ll send out an invite to that circle.

The format: We’ll try to keep the video hangouts to about an hour. We’ll post rough agendas prior to the hangout as well.

So far, I’ve hosted two of these hangouts and they’ve been a ton of fun. I’ve gotten to know people better and learned a lot as well. Inevitably, we might face some problems with the 10 person limit for participants for the hangouts, but we’ll figure it out as we get there.

Our 3rd hangout will be tonight (Jan 22) at 7pm PST. Our special guest will be sleepyhead. I’ll post more details on the hangout shortly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for doing this DaveT! 7 PM PST is abit late here in Norway, as it already is 7.12 PM here.

If there is room available I would still like to join, but since I am not sure if I still will be awake I won't hold the spot if anyone else wants to join.

Norse, would love to be able to meet you via video. Hope you can wake up and join us.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the details for tonight’s hangout, Jan 22 (Wed) at 7pm PST.

Time: Jan 22 (Wed) at 7pm PST. That’s tonight!
Special Guest: Sleepyhead
Hosts: DaveT, Sleepyhead

The Google+ hangout will be limited to 10 participants and will not be broadcasted publicly for privacy reasons.

In order to join:
1. go to this page: [expired]
2. Add me to one of your circles and then in the "say something" field post a comment saying, "Please send invite." I’ll then add you to one of my circles and will send a participant invite to you. (Note: there will be no “viewers” as this is a private hangout. There will only be participants.)

Since Google+ has a limit of 10 participants, if there are more people who want to join then here are the following rules:
1. Invites will be sent out at exactly 6:50pm PST. So make sure that you’ve added me to one of your circles and posted a “send an invite” comment on the page prior to 6:50pm PST.
2. The first 10 people who accept the invite after 6:50pm PST will be the participants.
3. If you participated in one of our previous hangouts, then we ask you to not join until 7:00pm to allow other people a chance to join their first hangout. After 7:00pm PST, feel free to accept the invite and you’ll be allowed to join if there are less than 10 participants.

The agenda tonight will be as follows:
*I’ve been wanting to chat with sleepyhead for a while, so I’m going to make the focus of the night to hear from sleepyhead and ask him questions. All participants in the video chat are feel to ask and participate in the discussion.
6:50pm-7:00pm - complete invite process
7:00-7:10pm - introduce each other and usernames
7:10—7:20pm - sleepyhead intro to self and investment philosophy
7:20-8:00pm - sleepyhead Q&A about TSLA, solar and other investments

Last edited:
Any chance you can broadcast this hangout? I would love to join but I suspect there won't be enough room tonight :). Next best thing maybe to hear what you guys have to say.

Also, google may allow 10 additional participants via the phone
Oh and I think if you have a google apps account you can have 15 video participants.

- sent via mobile

Thanks for organizing this Dave. I enjoyed Sunday's hangout, and wish I could join tonight, but I am not available. It sounds like it will be fun, and a great learning experience. I will keep my eye out to join again in the future.

DaveT: Thanks for setting these up. Hope they go well and you will continue to offer them. I will try to make this one. A bit past my bedtime on the east coast :wink: so if I participate it may be in my pjs :biggrin:

Norse, would love to be able to meet you via video. Hope you can wake up and join us.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the details for tonight’s hangout, Jan 22 (Wed) at 7pm PST.

Time: Jan 22 (Wed) at 7pm PST. That’s tonight!
Special Guest: Sleepyhead
Hosts: DaveT, Sleepyhead

The Google+ hangout will be limited to 10 participants and will not be broadcasted publicly for privacy reasons.

In order to join:
1. go to this page: TMC Hangout - Google+
2. Add me to one of your circles and then in the "say something" field post a comment saying, "Please send invite." I’ll then add you to one of my circles and will send a participant invite to you. (Note: there will be no “viewers” as this is a private hangout. There will only be participants.)

Since Google+ has a limit of 10 participants, if there are more people who want to join then here are the following rules:
1. Invites will be sent out at exactly 6:50pm PST. So make sure that you’ve added me to one of your circles and posted a “send an invite” comment on the page prior to 6:50pm PST.
2. The first 10 people who accept the invite after 6:50pm PST will be the participants.
3. If you participated in one of our previous hangouts, then we ask you to not join until 7:00pm to allow other people a chance to join their first hangout. After 7:00pm PST, feel free to accept the invite and you’ll be allowed to join if there are less than 10 participants.

The agenda tonight will be as follows:
*I’ve been wanting to chat with sleepyhead for a while, so I’m going to make the focus of the night to hear from sleepyhead and ask him questions. All participants in the video chat are feel to ask and participate in the discussion.
6:50pm-7:00pm - complete invite process
7:00-7:10pm - introduce each other and usernames
7:10—7:20pm - sleepyhead intro to self and investment philosophy
7:20-8:00pm - sleepyhead Q&A about TSLA, solar and other investments

Can someone screencast it?
I'd love to participate and hear sleepyhead, he's has given incredible advice, but I will be busy at the beginning of it, therefore I couldn't get invited. DM me if possible!!! I'd really appreciate a screen cast of it!

Hi guys, is this the right webpage to be on for the video conf? TIA...

also, does this work on an iPad?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    269.4 KB · Views: 471
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    201 KB · Views: 482
Last edited:
Thanks for making this public, and thanks for everyone that contributed! I watched quite a bit and there was some great information and insights shared. Especially thanks to DaveT for hosting, and Sleepyhead for his incredibly in-depth knowledge about the solars and willingness to share his thoughts and strategies. Looking forward to watching/participating in the future!

Thanks for making this public, and thanks for everyone that contributed! I watched quite a bit and there was some great information and insights shared. Especially thanks to DaveT for hosting, and Sleepyhead for his incredibly in-depth knowledge about the solars and willingness to share his thoughts and strategies. Looking forward to watching/participating in the future!

Agree 100%, glad it was opened to the public, lots of great info was shared.

Sleepyheads mic had some issues, I don't know if it was feedback or something else, maybe he can try a headset next time.

Guys would it be possible that you record the hangout and put in on youtube, afaik hangout does have this feature integrated.
If you are conceded about privacy you can give access only to certain youtube accounts, request through PMs.