Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Electrician recommendations uptown toronto

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi everyone.
First time poster, so take it easy on me.

So I just put in my deposit for my Model S :biggrin: this past Saturday (Arrival date in April... dreading the next 3 months of waiting)
I'm trying to get most of my ducks in a row, and was looking into Electricians.

Since there's an Ontario rebate, I figure I might as well splurge for the HPWC.
I looked into my electrical panel, and I'm "PRETTY SURE" that I dont have a 200amp line, so that'll need to be installed.

Q1) Any recommendation for electricians in the Scarborough/Markham border area?
Q2) To get the rebate for the charger/installation, it requires some vehicle information, which I don't have it. I would like to be set up at home prior to picking up the car and determining my license plate/vin

Q3) I'm also weighing the options of getting a green plate vs a custom plate (why can't they have a custom green plate?!?). Any suggestions here?

1) No, because I don't live in the area. Presumably someone else will chime in. I do have comments for your other questions:

2) Tesla should supply you the VIN once it is assigned. Ask them for it if you don't hear.

3) I have a green plate on my Roadster, and a custom plate on my Model S. I originally bought the custom plate for my Roadster, because I don't live anywhere near the single Ottawa HOV lane. But my car arrived with green plate GVAA 001. I thought it was pretty cool having the first plate so I left it on and kept the custom plate for the Model S. Long story short if you want to use an HOV lane, get the green plate. for sure If you want to display a green plate because you have a green car, get the green plate. If you want to have a custom plate (maybe with a green theme) then get the custom plate!

Upgrading the panel is likely to cost thousands. It did for me. It probably wasn't worth doing since 40A charging is sufficient for almost all home charging purposes (enough for overnight); however, it's good that I did given that I now have two EVs.

You can instead dial back the HPWC to lower power, say 40A. That would be the same speed as the UMC but then you could get the rebate, plus a convenient cable holder, plus keep the UMC in the car at all times for emergency charging purposes.

Joe the owner of JML did a great job for me. I believe he is the recommended installer for Tesla. Very fast and knowledgeable - and one thing I look for is - "did he do this before" - because I believe there are certain things you look for when installing HPWC (dip switches, etc.). He is happy to give you a quote for his work....worth a call.