Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Glitches on the Tesla App for Android

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is anyone else experiencing connection problems and/or glitches on the Tesla App for Android? I have my own theory as to what could be causing it, but I'm curious to see what others think. Here are the symptoms:

1) Every time I open the app I get this error message: "A Connection to the Vehicle Could Not Be Made." The app only reconnects one third of the time after tapping Retry. Usually I have to hit Retry a second time before it actually connects to the car. Here's a picture:

retry.png

2) When I get out of the car, it takes about 3 or 4 minutes before the phone is able to connect to the car. I get the same "A Connection to the Vehicle Could Not Be Made" error, or it will just get stuck thinking. When I get the option to Retry a connection to the vehicle, it doesn't reconnect unless I wait 3 or 4 minutes. After the 3 to 4 minutes it connects fine.

3) 1 out of every 4 times I try loading the location screen it won't load. The loading icon spins, and I can click back and forth between the other 4 screens. But when I switch to the location screen its just black. The top of the screen shows a sliver of a map, but other then that its just black screen. To fix this, I have to open task manager, close the app, and open it back up.

Anyone else having these problems? The app does work, but every time I open it I experience one of these three issues. As a result it doesn't feel like a very polished or stable app.

Last edited:
Yup! Me too. Just about every time I load the app I get the same screen. What's weird is that I can load the app. Make a Climate change or Vent Roof and it works just fine then immediately it tells me Connection cannot be Made...right after it makes the connection!

I always get an issue following exiting the app using the home button. If I exit the app using the back button the app works good the next time it loads.

Nice observation! I can confirm that this works on my phone too!

It makes sense too... The back button actually closes the app, whereas the home button just suspends it in the background. If the app is suspended, it would have to reestablish a session with the car after its brought back up.

I think they should probably make it so that reconnection happens automatically after suspension. The way it works now makes it feel like the app is broken

I always get an issue following exiting the app using the home button. If I exit the app using the back button the app works good the next time it loads.

This. I find if I open the app after a fresh reboot of my phone it connects reliably. If I exit out of the app using the home button and try to relaunch the app I get a lot of bugs. Now, if you only use the back button to fully exit out of the app then it typically will connect reliably (albeit slowly if the car is asleep).

From my very non-official testing this is consistent regardless of WiFi or 4G/Cellular Data

This is probably related to the new sleep mode.

Since I disabled the sleep mode - haven't had connection problems. I'll probably only enable sleep mode when my car will be away from home overnight (road trips, airport, ...).

The Android app is totally obsolete. Don't lose any sleep over it. It's still a beta that has been out for ages and an updated version is over due. I hope for a release of an updated Android app in the aftermath of the 6.0 release (whenever that may be), but that's pure speculation.

Last edited:
In light of the fact that there are few here to defend the android app and close to universal agreement that problems exist, it appears that TM has either ignored the problems or just doesn't know about them. I can't believe they don't know. Hope that Volker is correct in thinking that the problems will be simultaneously resolved with V6.0 and the release of an android update.

In light of the fact that there are few here to defend the android app and close to universal agreement that problems exist, it appears that TM has either ignored the problems or just doesn't know about them. I can't believe they don't know. Hope that Volker is correct in thinking that the problems will be simultaneously resolved with V6.0 and the release of an android update.

When is the V6.0 update coming, by the way? Any fresh rumors? The last rumor I heard was that it was to come in January. Alas this weekend is Feb! :eek:

I'm pretty much stuck at connect. It never connects, no matter how many times I hit retry. Plus, the "contacting car" screen takes for ever (2 minutes, I timed it). I tried backing out as well as rebooting the phone - no luck at all. Tesla support had me remove and re-install the app but that did no good. This worked just fine prior to 5.8.4 (though I skipped 5.6). It's definitely finding my account because it has the right vin. I have also rebooted the console and disabled/enabled the connection in the car (in case it was falsely reporting enabled). Nothing works. Pretty frustrated with this.

Edit: by the way, the service center claimed complete ignorance of the app and sent me to the tesla "roadside number". They had me remove and re-install. Kind of reminds of windows support in the old days saying to reinstall windows when any thing went wrong.

Last edited:
Have you tried connecting using VisibleTesla (on a PC)?

Another long shot - are you using a combination of special characters in your Tesla password. I had a few problems with this earlier - and they went away when I stuck with an alphanumeric password.

Have you tried connecting using VisibleTesla (on a PC)?

Another long shot - are you using a combination of special characters in your Tesla password. I had a few problems with this earlier - and they went away when I stuck with an alphanumeric password.

I've never been able to get visible tesla to work on my PC, not sure why.

Just an alphanumeric password.

Also, tesla told me that my car has been checking in regularly so it's not a connectivity issue at the car.