Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Interesting video on history of Tesla/other auto industry insights - Marc Tarpenning

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

This video is a bit old now, but I couldn't see it anywhere on here. It's also a bit long, but well worth the watch.

Very interesting comments in the question time about the auto industry and the slow moving behemoths that are the current major auto manufacturers.

What really hit me is how much is now outsourced, which has led to a fundamental lack of capability and talent in most things other than engines at the auto manufacturers (particularly talent in electrical systems). Certainly explains why it has been so difficult for them to move to electric vehicles and why when an analyst says that the big auto makers could "build a Tesla competitor tomorrow if they wanted to", they are way off the mark.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for re-posting this. I missed its first obscure posting. There is just a ton of really interesting insights in this small lecture. Some fun early moments during the Roadster times and as you mentioned some very interesting insights into how the big manufacturers go about creating their gas burners. I agree that after watching this that the big manufacturers aren't going to be making anything competitive for quite a while. I've always shook my head as to why they are simply letting Tesla grab a chunk of their long held market. Now it makes sense.

Thanks, I missed it in the other thread. Really interesting presentation and it gets me excited about the giga-factory that should be announced sometime soon. And you are right about the car industry outsourcing all of their systems... all except for the actual ICE part. As he mentioned, there are going to be huge internal political struggles for them to move away from the ICE and make compelling non-ICE cars, which means a company like Tesla should maintain a big lead.

Tesla Motors History Presentation by one of the Co-Founders Marc Tarpenning

Marc Tarpenning speaks about co-founding Tesla Motors with Martin Eberhard. Marc ran the electrical engineering group as well as being the acting CFO for the first three years. Tesla Motors has sold over 2500 fully battery electric Roadsters and is now delivering Model S sedans. It became a public company on the NASDAQ exchange in July 2010, and employs over 2,000 people. Since leaving Tesla Motors, Mr. Tarpenning has been Entrepreneur in Residence at Mayfield Fund, sits on several company Advisory Boards, speaks frequently on entrepreneurship, is a Mentor at Greenstart and is an elected School Board Trustee for the Woodside Elementary School District.

Even Marc makes confusing statements regarding the Model X being the "cheaper vehicle" vs. Gen III. Strange coming from a former insider. Still an interesting presentation that I hadn't looked at before, so thanks for bringing it back to the attention of the forum.

Even Marc makes confusing statements regarding the Model X being the "cheaper vehicle" vs. Gen III. Strange coming from a former insider. Still an interesting presentation that I hadn't looked at before, so thanks for bringing it back to the attention of the forum.

I think he could just be working off outdated info. I think the Model X was thought up after he departed the company. Back then, Tesla's plan only had three phases: Roadster (Low-volume, high-price), Model S (Mid-volume, mid-price), GenIII (High-volume, low-price). As far as Marc knows, Model X is GenIII. It wasn't part of the original plan.

Wanted to revive this thread (not sure this has been already posted somewhere else), but, it looks as if Marc Tarpenning updated his presentation in this newer video published on March 6th, he starts presenting at about 10 minutes 45 seconds in...

wait, wait, wait - at the 40 min. mark he talks about pitching to Elon Musk their idea for the roadster.....I know Elon is a co-founder, but thought it was Elon's idea to start this company...makes it sound like Mark found this guy, Elon Musk.

Am I confused?

wait, wait, wait - at the 40 min. mark he talks about pitching to Elon Musk their idea for the roadster.....I know Elon is a co-founder, but thought it was Elon's idea to start this company...makes it sound like Mark found this guy, Elon Musk.

Am I confused?

Mark Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard were the original founders I believe...

Mark Tarpenning and Martin Eberhard were the original founders I believe...

really? huh....In every interview I've seen or read with Elon, he says he's a co-founder. Never thought others came before him. Good to know.

Funny that I've watched Elon say in several interviews that he had this idea for an electric car, maybe he did and found them? Then became a co-founder?

really? huh....In every interview I've seen or read with Elon, he says he's a co-founder. Never thought others came before him. Good to know.

Funny that I've watched Elon say in several interviews that he had this idea for an electric car, maybe he did and found them? Then became a co-founder?

I mean this in the most friendly way possible - and this goes for everyone in general - but if one is interested enough in a topic to post on a message forum about it, I highly recommend spending half an hour reading the Wikipedia article on said topic. Lots a fantastic basic (like the above) information on Tesla's Wikipedia page!

This video is a prepared presentation with graphics, so perhaps a more reliable history than some off the cuff remarks. Elon stepped in as an angel investor at several crucial points when the usual VC firms were unable to offer support (TM was outside their box). Audio could be better; a few times MT says Martin (Eberhard) but it is muffled. Required viewing for Tesla 101 - there will be a quiz!!
--

From my reading of what I believe are credible sources on TMC and following various links from TMC, ME & MT founded the actual company Tesla. Later, Elon was a principal investor at a really critical time, and because of that, after a bunch of arguing in the press etc, it was agreed that Elon could use the title "co-founder". Seemed reasonable to me, but I'm not emotionally involved. Re who came up with the ideas re batteries etc, I don't know. I *believe* the original battery ideas etc were probably by ME/MT, but that's my speculation based on relative timing of what I've read as to when Elon got involved.

From the Wiki page that equinox posted:
In early August, Eberhard withdrew the case,[242] and the parties reached a final settlement on September 21. One public provision stated that the parties will consider Eberhard, Musk, Straubel, Tarpenning, and Wright to be the five co-founders. Eberhard also issued a statement about Musk's foundational role in the company: "As a co-founder of the company, Elon's contributions to Tesla have been extraordinary."[

So Tesla wasn't Elon's company or idea, but he bought in early enough, provided direction, and followed through to make the company what it is today to be considered a founder as well. I am certain that Eberhard and Tarpenning were well compensated for the initial founding of the company.

At this point it is Elon's company and his vision determines where it is going. J. B. Straubel is the only other "co-founder" that has any influence at all.

Last edited: