Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Supercharger idea - Hidden WiFi Access and video permitted while supercharging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While visiting the Fremont supercharger late one night a week ago and sitting there bored for 30 minutes (there's nothing to do there when their visitor center is closed), it occurred to me that a feature Tesla could implement relatively easily would be a WiFi network for Model S users that would automatically be joined when you're sitting there supercharging; since they monitor their supercharger sites in real time, the internet access is already there. The SSID would be hidden and the hidden password could be pushed out in a future software update. Further, perhaps an app could appear (? Tesla TV - visible to users only when supercharging) to pass the time with various 30 minute TV shows, documentaries, etc. Could be monetized through a partnership with one of the networks - I'm sure they'd love to have (captive) advertising access to the Tesla owner demographic.

While visiting the Fremont supercharger late one night a week ago and sitting there bored for 30 minutes (there's nothing to do there when their visitor center is closed), it occurred to me that a feature Tesla could implement relatively easily would be a WiFi network for Model S users that would automatically be joined when you're sitting there supercharging; since they monitor their supercharger sites in real time, the internet access is already there. The SSID would be hidden and the hidden password could be pushed out in a future software update. Further, perhaps an app could appear (? Tesla TV - visible to users only when supercharging) to pass the time with various 30 minute TV shows, documentaries, etc. Could be monetized through a partnership with one of the networks - I'm sure they'd love to have (captive) advertising access to the Tesla owner demographic.
Rah supercharger has a built in cellular modem, not DSL or some other sort of cable internet access. Although, it could instea be GPS locked, so when the car detects your within a certain area, it will unlock video functions. I'd really like video while charging , specifically netflix.

Didn't know it was a cellular modem; I suspect there's a mix of cellular and landline connectivity depending on the site, but that's a guess only. In any case, I agree, it would be nice to have video available (? a Netflix app ?) only when a charger cable is connected. Just like you can't drive the car when a cable is attached, you wouldn't be able to even access a video-enabled app unless a charger cable was physically in place and it would shut down immediately if you disconnected the cable.

The SSID would be hidden and the hidden password could be pushed out in a future software update.

Hidden SSID's is in general a horrible idea that provides no security and needs to be taken outside and shot.

Instead of an access point (let's say SSID is WOOF) going: "WOOF! WOOF! WOOF!" all the time, the clients looking for it constantly go: "WOOF? WOOF? WOOF?". (In the clear).

The first time a Tesla shows up at a SuperCharger, anybody can snoop in and get the SSID, defeating the hidden SSID - but more problematic, Tesla's the world over will constantly be yelling: "WOOF? WOOF? WOOF?" at the top of their 2.4ghz lungs, which will make it fairly trivial to create a botnet to track the movement of all Tesla's.

Or your Tesla in particular...

Broadcast SSID with EAP authentication gives much better protection, for both the SuperChargers and the cars.

Hidden SSID's is in general a horrible idea that provides no security and needs to be taken outside and shot.

Thanks, obviously I know nothing about wifi security, it was just the concept of a creating a supercharger-based wifi network accessible to only Model S owners (or more specifically their cars). Your suggestion makes more sense.

In any case, I think the idea of supercharger-based wifi access points and/or video during charging are worth pursuing as add-on features...

Other than the actual technical limitations, this is a pretty cool idea.

Technical limitations including 1) internet isn't something normally tied to the electrical wires (can be done, has been done, but is usually just another expense on the superchargers), 2) isn't always fast at places that host superchargers. 3) The video limitation, IE flash support, isn't something that the base OS on the car does right now and I can just imagine the security holes with a relatively non-upgradeable flash client.

Here's an idea that is practically trivial in comparison: the ability to use a vacuum attached to the supercharger while the car is charging. Just dump the output of the vacuum into a convenient nearby trashcan.

Good idea. In the meantime here's a simple solution.

Last edited by a moderator:
Do we have any evidence of the CPU/GPU is capable of handling video in the first place? If not, all this discussion is pointless.
We'll, some thoughts on that...

Now it's got a Nvidia chip, which I'd hope would support video, but I doubt it's fast enough without serious optimization. just use the browser on the car to go to a graphically heavy page, such as a page on TmC that someone's posted a lot of pictures. no let the page load fully, then try to scroll and maneuver in the page. it will all but lock up. It's possible their might not be enough horsepower to do netflix(I hope I'm wrong!!!!!). I was surprised tesla didn't go with something like a dual core atom processor with onboard intel graphics. proven, capable, and very low power consumption.

It's hanging from my suction cup gizmo that holds my cellphone. I loop a drawstring to hang it from there.
I use my Ipad for number of apps that are not available on my car. It connects via bluetooth so it works great!

These iPad apps are great during long trips: (video apps not recommended while driving)
Waze (best app for looking out for road hazards and police)
HBO Go
Netflix
Directv Sunday Ticket
Sirius (this app has more features than Model S app)
iTunes Radio
iTunes library/song list (USB storage is nice but you can't shuffle)
CNN

LOL... what did you use to stick your Ipad onto the center screen?

We'll, some thoughts on that...

Now it's got a Nvidia chip, which I'd hope would support video, but I doubt it's fast enough without serious optimization. just use the browser on the car to go to a graphically heavy page, such as a page on TmC that someone's posted a lot of pictures. no let the page load fully, then try to scroll and maneuver in the page. it will all but lock up. It's possible their might not be enough horsepower to do netflix(I hope I'm wrong!!!!!). I was surprised tesla didn't go with something like a dual core atom processor with onboard intel graphics. proven, capable, and very low power consumption.

Exactly what was on my mind the entire time I was going through this thread.

The postings above expressing concerns about the hardware capabilities has me worried - how upgradable is the CPU in the car, i.e., is it modular and can it be swapped out like they've promised to do with the 3G > LTE hardware swap?

Just like the CPU arms race in smartphones with iOS v7.0 barely useable on an iPhone 4 (presumably v8.0 will require an iPhone 5 as a minimum), I can foresee the angst among the early adopters when one or two years from now the Model S ships with a significantly more powerful onboard computer and we're limited to a final version of compatible/useable software as the newer cars keep moving forward. Is there an upgrade pathway for the on-board computer? They've been so smart about the design of the Model S, I sure hope the CPU can be swapped out / upgraded at a reasonable cost to take advantage of future versions of the firmware... Many of us talk about wanting to keep these cars for 5, 10 + years, but if the CPU limits us from taking advantage of future software versions, that will be the Achilles' heel for the platform...

The postings above expressing concerns about the hardware capabilities has me worried - how upgradable is the CPU in the car, i.e., is it modular and can it be swapped out like they've promised to do with the 3G > LTE hardware swap?

Just like the CPU arms race in smartphones with iOS v7.0 barely useable on an iPhone 4 (presumably v8.0 will require an iPhone 5 as a minimum), I can foresee the angst among the early adopters when one or two years from now the Model S ships with a significantly more powerful onboard computer and we're limited to a final version of compatible/useable software as the newer cars keep moving forward. Is there an upgrade pathway for the on-board computer? They've been so smart about the design of the Model S, I sure hope the CPU can be swapped out / upgraded at a reasonable cost to take advantage of future versions of the firmware... Many of us talk about wanting to keep these cars for 5, 10 + years, but if the CPU limits us from taking advantage of future software versions, that will be the Achilles' heel for the platform...

I've never seen this promised anywhere.