Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Southern California Edison & Electrician

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello,

I just ordered and finalized my MS order on Fri (I should have my car in March). I was wondering if anyone in Orange County has installed a second meter, if so can you please answer the below questions:

1. Has it been worth it.
  2. How much was the installation from your electrician to split the line, install the second panel and have it ready for SCE (SCE installs the meter for free)?
  3. Can you recommend an electrician?

The Tesla store recommended an electrician, I had him come out and give me a quote for a 220 outlet, however, he has not done a second meter installation and he was not too sure how to do it.

Thank you,

Len

you don't need a 2nd meter

I called SCE and they put me on the electric car plan. took about a month to set up. it is .10/kwh 12am to 6am in summer and ..09/kwh for winter rates that's it nothing else needed

I have 100amp breaker installed with HPC and works great

also that goes for any draw on power at that time washer dryer ac anything so you save your whole house vs getting 2nd meter and only save on car charge

- - - Updated - - -

SummerWinter
Tier 1 RateTier 2 RateTier 1 RateTier 2 Rate
On-Peak
10 AM - 6 PM weekdays
28 ¢ / kWh47 ¢ / kWh16 ¢ / kWh35 ¢ / kWh
Off-Peak
All other times
12 ¢ / kWh31 ¢ / kWh11 ¢ / kWh30 ¢ / kWh
Super Off-Peak
Midnight to 6 AM every day
9 ¢ / kWh9 ¢ / kWh10 ¢ / kWh10 ¢ / kWh
Home & Electric Vehicle Plan (TOU-D-TEV)

also you can check direct here https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home...0FBIS9nQSEh/#/accordionGrp1-2/accordionGrp1-1

- - - Updated - - -

you can get all the info here https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home...0FBIS9nQSEh/#/accordionGrp1-2/accordionGrp1-1

problem with this is that if you use electricity during peak hour in the summer time it is 47cents which can add up to a lot if someone is home during the day.

I called SCE and they put me on the electric car plan. took about a month to set up. it is .10/kwh 12am to 6am in summer and ..09/kwh for winter rates that's it nothing else needed

also that goes for any draw on power at that time washer dryer ac anything so you save your whole house vs getting 2nd meter and only save on car charge

- - - Updated - - -

SummerWinter
On-Peak
10 AM - 6 PM weekdays
Off-Peak
All other times
Super Off-Peak

also you can check direct here https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home...0FBIS9nQSEh/#/accordionGrp1-2/accordionGrp1-1

- - - Updated - - -

you can get all the info here https://www.sce.com/wps/portal/home...0FBIS9nQSEh/#/accordionGrp1-2/accordionGrp1-1

- - - Updated - - -

SummerWinter
On-Peak
10 AM - 6 PM weekdays
Off-Peak
All other times
Super Off-Peak

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you, I'm going to try the electric car plan.

Len

I choose to get the second meter over the Home & Electric Car Plan. I drive a lot and need to charge during the day. It also helps me track my expenses for tax purposes.

Without a doubt, it's cheaper to go with the "Home & Electric Car Plan" IF you only charge at night and don't use a lot of electricity during On-Peak and Off-Peak hours...

Between 10AM and 6PM (On-Peak) your rate starts at $0.28/kWh for Tier 1 and goes up to $0.47/kWh for Tier 2. MUCH more expensive then the standard plan.

During Off-Peak hours your rate is $0.12/kWh for Tier 1 (which is actually 1 penny cheaper then the standard rate), but your Tier 2 rate is $0.31/kWh. So your Tier 2 rate is almost double that of the standard Tier 2 rate.

So again, as long as you only charge at night and don't use a lot of electricity during On-Peak and Off-Peak hours, its by far the cheaper way to go. But if your like me and use a lot of energy during On-Peak and Off-Peak hours, its best to get the separate meter.

My separate meter is going to cost $1,500.00. I think I could of gotten someone to do it for less, but he was the only one who could do it on short notice and I need it done ASAP. My electric bill is approaching $686 for the month, so I need my meter now. With the meter my bill would of been $179.89. (again I do a lot of driving)

I choose to get the second meter over the Home & Electric Car Plan. I drive a lot and need to charge during the day. It also helps me track my expenses for tax purposes.

Without a doubt, it's cheaper to go with the "Home & Electric Car Plan" IF you only charge at night and don't use a lot of electricity during On-Peak and Off-Peak hours...

Between 10AM and 6PM (On-Peak) your rate starts at $0.28/kWh for Tier 1 and goes up to $0.47/kWh for Tier 2. MUCH more expensive then the standard plan.

During Off-Peak hours your rate is $0.12/kWh for Tier 1 (which is actually 1 penny cheaper then the standard rate), but your Tier 2 rate is $0.31/kWh. So your Tier 2 rate is almost double that of the standard Tier 2 rate.

So again, as long as you only charge at night and don't use a lot of electricity during On-Peak and Off-Peak hours, its by far the cheaper way to go. But if your like me and use a lot of energy during On-Peak and Off-Peak hours, its best to get the separate meter.

My separate meter is going to cost $1,500.00. I think I could of gotten someone to do it for less, but he was the only one who could do it on short notice and I need it done ASAP. My electric bill is approaching $686 for the month, so I need my meter now. With the meter my bill would of been $179.89. (again I do a lot of driving)

Thank you, that is a significant savings. I don't use a lot of electricity during On-Peak hours and I am planning on charging at night. I'm going to go with the Home Electric Car Plan and monitor my electric bill for a couple of months and then re-evaluate my decision.

Semper Fi
Len

Len I live in Aliso Viejo right next to you. I also don't use much electricity during on-peak & only charge my car at midnight during the super off-peak time. I went with the Home Electric Car Plan and it's definitely saving me money. I also looked into solar and had quotes from 3 companies. After doing a lot of number crunching, I found that for me solar was not worth it. I'm a fairly conservative electricity user (25kwh a day avg, with about 14kwh of that being from my Tesla). You need to be a decently high electricity user to gain significant benefits from going solar.

Len I live in Aliso Viejo right next to you. I also don't use much electricity during on-peak & only charge my car at midnight during the super off-peak time. I went with the Home Electric Car Plan and it's definitely saving me money. I also looked into solar and had quotes from 3 companies. After doing a lot of number crunching, I found that for me solar was not worth it. I'm a fairly conservative electricity user (25kwh a day avg, with about 14kwh of that being from my Tesla). You need to be a decently high electricity user to gain significant benefits from going solar.
Yes, your household usage is very low. Most people in CA with 3-4 person household have electric bills more than $100/mo. Those people can easily benefit from solar. You, not so much.

Alexander, Who was your electrician that charged you $1,500 for a second meter? I'm looking for a referral. Thanks