Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Rated Range at 20,500 miles on 60kW battery pack.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Awesome. Congrats! I'm thinking of going the 60kw route myself.

(also first post.... cheers!)

while 60s are great, but I would recommend the 85 even if you don't need the added range. The value of that you get for the extra ~$10k is huuuuggeeee...better tires, better warranty, 40% bigger battery, longer range if you ever need it (obviously), supercharging included, faster supercharging rate, faster acceleration, battery longevity (charging cycles will be "shorter" thus extending the life of lithium ion batteries), and likely a higher resale value %.

I didn't skimp. I upgraded from the 40 to the 60. It's great!

I didn't pay for 50 miles of range I'll never dip into. And I didn't sink $10K into battery technology that's continually improving.

See, both varieties are awesome :)

- - - Updated - - -

Great video. I've never done a full range charge on my 60. A 90% change gives 174-ish miles, so it's hard to understand how 100% could result in over 200 miles. I'm hopeful it's just a poor computation!

I upgraded from 40 to 60 as well, and have been very happy with it. Of course, if price is no object 85 would be great, but since I paid 2x for the 60 that I did for my last car, that was already pushing my limit. My 60 takes me to the out of town trips I usually make (with supercharger) and is plenty fast. If you can't spend the extra 10K, you will be plenty happy with the 60.

I've said it many times in the past, but since your new here I will say it again, don't skimp get the 85. I will be upgrading my car to a 85 battery

I've been going back and forth about this. I can afford it, but the practical side of me can't get to the 85.

My daily commute is maybe 60 miles maximum - granted, it is in Los Angeles traffic (but Tesla allowed in carpool lane). If I just go to/from the office (~3 days a week), total is maybe 20-30 miles. There are charging stations (not superchargers) all over the place, even if I have to travel. Even then, the farthest work place is Oxnard - 100 miles round trip max.

This car is going to be our daily work commute car (wife rides in the morning with me). We have another older ICE car that gets decent gas mileage for long trips. I'm just not sure I can justify the extra cost for the rare occurrence when I need to travel far and won't have access to some sort of charging station. Save $8-10K, and perhaps upgrade in 5-10 years when batteries are cheaper and (perhaps) better? It's a tough choice.

This car is going to be our daily work commute car (wife rides in the morning with me). We have another older ICE car that gets decent gas mileage for long trips. I'm just not sure I can justify the extra cost for the rare occurrence when I need to travel far and won't have access to some sort of charging station. Save $8-10K, and perhaps upgrade in 5-10 years when batteries are cheaper and (perhaps) better? It's a tough choice.

The common prediction is that you will start to hate it if you have to use your ICE. Especially because you skimped on the Model S.
Sell the ICE and invest the cash in the bigger battery. That would be really looong trips in California where Model S can't make it work for you. :wink:

Hey @islandbayy, I am curious what your routine is to keep such good pack life. Lots of supercharging? Range charges? What % top up do you have it set at in the evenings? Average daily commute.? Etc... For me it would be interesting to compare since I am not getting the same results. Thanks!

Hey @islandbayy, I am curious what your routine is to keep such good pack life. Lots of supercharging? Range charges? What % top up do you have it set at in the evenings? Average daily commute.? Etc... For me it would be interesting to compare since I am not getting the same results. Thanks!

I beat the living crap out of my car. I don't baby it at all (accept for the paint, I wax the heck out of this thing during the summer and make sure it's spotless, though winter, anything goes). As for depth of discharge, I usually see "Charge Now" weekly or every other week.

I've done over 80 range charges since getting the car. I do 90% charge daily. I didn't supercharge at all until November, as none were within range. Now WI has 5 SC's :)
Basically, I do what tesla says. Drive the car as if it's a normal car. If I need a range charge, I range charge. If I don't, I don't. I plug it in every night. Basically, It's just a car, a really awesome car, but a car none the less, and I treat it as such.

I beat the living crap out of my car. I don't baby it at all (accept for the paint, I wax the heck out of this thing during the summer and make sure it's spotless, though winter, anything goes). As for depth of discharge, I usually see "Charge Now" weekly or every other week.

I've done over 80 range charges since getting the car. I do 90% charge daily. I didn't supercharge at all until November, as none were within range. Now WI has 5 SC's :)
Basically, I do what tesla says. Drive the car as if it's a normal car. If I need a range charge, I range charge. If I don't, I don't. I plug it in every night. Basically, It's just a car, a really awesome car, but a car none the less, and I treat it as such.

this is basically the same pattern I follow. 36k with 255+ rated range. I beat the crap out of it too. I've only ranged maybe 8 or 9 times, but I've been down to 0-30 miles dozens and dozens of times. Usually charge to 90%. I just drove from NYC through that massive storm. check it out. handled pretty well. still drove faster than everyone else on the road haha I really tested it out on this snow. Took unplowed back roads up steep inclines. I didn't have any issues.

IMG_2707.JPG
IMG_2717.JPG
IMG_2719.JPG
IMG_2704.JPG
IMG_2712.JPG

I think I got to 100% SOC once, very early in ownership in Jan/Feb 2013 just to see what it was and I recall it was 209 rated miles and 240 ideal.

Maybe one day I'll need to get to 100% SOC again, but I've never needed to even after two trips from Seattle to LA. I'll set it range charge but have never needed to let it get all the way to 100%.