Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Range prediction website

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

dpeilow

May 23, 2008
Winchester, UK
3 or 4 years ago I was using a website for calculating range. In what must be a sign of old age, I've forgotten the URL and what's more can't find any saved link to it anywhere.

It is a US site, based on Google Maps with a digital elevation model for calculating altitude losses. At the time they only had the Roadster but I think they were adding the Nissan Leaf.

Ring any bells with anyone?

I like ev trip planner. On a recent trip it calculated I would need 53kwh for the trip. I managed to do it in 44kwh. I was going a little slower and the temp was about 10 def warmer than I ran the calculator at. It is a great tool and I wouldn't go on a road trip with out it. At least until the supercharger network is fully deployed along our trip route.

I think the big difference is it calculated that we would average 68mph on two legs of the trip and I set the cruise for 62. There were also a lot of hills involved and it seems that the reduction is speed on hills saves a lot more than the general reduction in speed.

I like ev trip planner. On a recent trip it calculated I would need 53kwh for the trip. I managed to do it in 44kwh. I was going a little slower and the temp was about 10 def warmer than I ran the calculator at. It is a great tool and I wouldn't go on a road trip with out it. At least until the supercharger network is fully deployed along our trip route.

I think the big difference is it calculated that we would average 68mph on two legs of the trip and I set the cruise for 62. There were also a lot of hills involved and it seems that the reduction is speed on hills saves a lot more than the general reduction in speed.

If you select the "Advanced" button in EVTripPlanner, you can adjust the car's speed, outside temperature, and cabin temperature. 62 mph instead of 68 mph would be a speed multiplier of 0.91 in EVTripPlanner. It will calculate that less energy is required.

There's also a significant impact of headwind or tailwind, see the box on the lower left of EVTripPlanner. Here's a cool wind map (you can zoom in) Wind Map

I'm looking forward to having all of this incorporated into the Model S nav system, for a more accurate calculation of rated miles that will be needed for a chosen trip.

If you select the "Advanced" button in EVTripPlanner, you can adjust the car's speed, outside temperature, and cabin temperature. 62 mph instead of 68 mph would be a speed multiplier of 0.91 in EVTripPlanner. It will calculate that less energy is required.

There's also a significant impact of headwind or tailwind, see the box on the lower left of EVTripPlanner. Here's a cool wind map (you can zoom in) Wind Map

I'm looking forward to having all of this incorporated into the Model S nav system, for a more accurate calculation of rated miles that will be needed for a chosen trip.

I used the advanced tab and changed the temp. I left the speed multiplier as it was because I wanted to be on the conservative side and the speed limit database isn't always correct in our area. Looking at the different secondary roads on our trip I felt the speed would be higher than what EVTripPlanner reported. However 90% of the trip was highway so I didn't get too concerned by the difference.

I love the website and I hope someday Tesla incorporates it into their nav system.

Hi Guys - I just noticed this thread. Thanks for the kudos.

Me and kids (mostly my now-16-year-old Ben) put this together after I took delivery of my Model S in Dec 2012 and went on a road trip to Vegas (Barstow supercharger). It was obvious that the on-board tools really weren't that useful and that Nav, Energy and a well-calibrated model needed to be integrated in the car. My older son is in college studying CS and was a real physics buff, so we did some physics 101 and realized we could predict energy for a given route pretty well (if you get speed, temp, etc right). For what it's worth, though, Elon seems to be selling cars OK without this! Anyway, we're proud to have thousands of users planning routes every week and believe our accuracy is improving. Some things you might want to check out:

* version 1.1 unreleased has some algorithm tweaks to handle altitude and cold better: EVTripPlanner

* check out the interactive map of where folks are planning routes: Where The Teslas Go

We tried integrating with weather info (wind more than temperature), but it is so variable by time and position that I think it would make errors worse - that's why we just do the "weather sensitivity table".

We could add other EVs, but would need some decent data to do our initial curve fits to.

(and, in case you didn't notice, Ben takes donations to his college fund on the site!)

Hi Guys - I just noticed this thread. Thanks for the kudos.

Me and kids (mostly my now-16-year-old Ben) put this together after I took delivery of my Model S in Dec 2012 and went on a road trip to Vegas (Barstow supercharger). It was obvious that the on-board tools really weren't that useful and that Nav, Energy and a well-calibrated model needed to be integrated in the car. My older son is in college studying CS and was a real physics buff, so we did some physics 101 and realized we could predict energy for a given route pretty well (if you get speed, temp, etc right). For what it's worth, though, Elon seems to be selling cars OK without this! Anyway, we're proud to have thousands of users planning routes every week and believe our accuracy is improving. Some things you might want to check out:

* version 1.1 unreleased has some algorithm tweaks to handle altitude and cold better: EVTripPlanner

* check out the interactive map of where folks are planning routes: Where The Teslas Go

We tried integrating with weather info (wind more than temperature), but it is so variable by time and position that I think it would make errors worse - that's why we just do the "weather sensitivity table".

We could add other EVs, but would need some decent data to do our initial curve fits to.

(and, in case you didn't notice, Ben takes donations to his college fund on the site!)

I'm seeing outrageous results in 1.1. (500+ wh/m average over 300 miles with 19inch wheels 65f temps). What is the best way to report these issues?

For feedback on EVTripPlanner, send an email to [email protected]
It is best to include the route code (on the URL after the route is created). Also include the version of the planner and algorithm you were using (1.1 allows you to choose).
Note that on really short routes, the numbers won't be meaningful.
I'll be curious to see what route and parameters 500 wh/m.

For feedback on EVTripPlanner, send an email to [email protected]
It is best to include the route code (on the URL after the route is created). Also include the version of the planner and algorithm you were using (1.1 allows you to choose).
Note that on really short routes, the numbers won't be meaningful.
I'll be curious to see what route and parameters 500 wh/m.

I just emailed the link. It starts at my house so didn't want to post it here.

Is there a possibility you could add another column "total KWh used"? That way I can reset a trip meter at the beginning of my trip and easily see when each leg is ended if I am over or under the calculated values from the table so I can make speed adjustments if necessary?

I usually run some math in my head to see where we are at and how we are doing but my wife doesn't like numbers so I am trying to think of a way that would make it easy for her to do the route planning. She knows how to use the planner but doesn't want to have to do the math to see if we are on track for matching the rates miles used.