Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

avoided accident friday morning in Luxemburg with my Tesla Model s !

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That was a close call! How come you stopped to chat with the guy in the white van, was that a friend of yours?

What dashcam do you use by the way?

I'm glad you avoided a crash, apart from eventual personal injuries it would have been an absolute horror to watch a model S getting smashed!

There is no such system in existence in the world today. Not anywhere.

I know but Google is working on a completely automatic driving assistant system. IMO a semi-automatic driving assistant system helping to prevent accidents like this would be the best solution. A completely automatic driving assistant system would be needed only for people unable to drive.
As far as I know Tesla is working on a semi-automatic driving assistant system. I read on TMC something about this matter.

But that system – and there are many others like it (Volvo probably has the best one) – would not have been able to do anything about the close call with the Lancia in your video.

That's right. IMO a semi automatic driving assistant system able also to turn the steer would be needed. To this concern see the video mentioned in this article.

"Mistakes", lo spot neozelandese contro l'eccesso di velocità. Il finale è choc (VIDEO)

(The article is in Italian but the video inside is in English)

So we’ve established that unfortunately there are no automatic systems that could have helped in this case.

But there might be one thing one could do to reduce the risk of a collision in a case like this though.

It’s hard for me to tell how much space you had to the right of your car in your lane before you had to swerve to avoid the Lancia. But instead we can use the guy that works with you in the white VW van ahead of you in the video as an example. If we stop the video at the moment when he meets the Lancia, and the two cars are next to each other, we can see that your co-worker at that moment has about 30% of the free space in his lane to his left, and about 70% of the free space in his lane to his right.

Illustration.png

One thing that one can do on a relative narrow road like this one, is to instead try and place the car so that you have at least …say 70% of the free space in the lane to the left of your own car. That way there is a bigger margin from the start if a car in the oncoming lane gets as close to your own car as the Lancia did in your video.

Last edited:
Glad you avoided the accident!

Quick question about the dashcam, I'm intrigued (the price is right :) ) - it seems the battery life isn't good, do you have it permanently mounted (by the rear view mirror) or constantly connected to the 12V? Also, how much video does it record?

I kind of like this solution instead of $200-$300 for the (highly recommended) BlackVue which has overheating problems in the summer.

One thing that one can do on a relative narrow road like this one, is to instead try and place the car so that you have at least …say 70% of the free space in the lane to the left of your own car. That way there is a bigger margin from the start if a car in the oncoming lane gets as close to your own car as the Lancia did in your video.

Excellent advice. Always stay as far to the right as practicable on highways with oncoming traffic and no barriers.

I suspect that Lancia driver was staring at your Model S - may have seen one for the first time?! - as he approached you and didn't realize that he was drifting straight towards you. The cat-eye DRLs are surely a magnet too. Others have reported such close shaves with folks staring or rubber-necking. Comes with the territory for now, I guess. Glad you averted a collision.

I suspect that Lancia driver was staring at your Model S - may have seen one for the first time?! - as he approached you and didn't realize that he was drifting straight towards you. The cat-eye DRLs are surely a magnet too. Others have reported such close shaves with folks staring or rubber-necking. Comes with the territory for now, I guess. Glad you averted a collision.

A lot of folks don't realize that the car goes where you look.