Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TPMS Failures and Cost

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen a number of people lately saying they have had problems with their TPMS. I've had the error message come up for many months now and finally got in to the service center. After a $200 diagnostic, it turns out that the battery died on three of the four sensors. It's going to cost $1053.25 to replace all four sensors including parts, labor and the diagnostic fee.

For legal requirements they are unable to disable the warning message per NHTSA 2005-20586. So we are either stuck with a large bill or have to hear the annoying alert every time we drive our cars.

Seems kind of crazy that after four years we'd have to pay 1k for dead sensor batteries. Does anyone know if this pricing matches other vehicles out there?

I'm about to go to my service center (in Rockville, MD) because one of my TPMS sensors is bad, according to the data I pulled and sent in. (I've been getting error message 409, which doesn't tell you which one is bad. One down, and none of the tires show up. They had to look at the logs to see that it was the one sensor.) Luckily, I have a CPO, so it's warranty work this time, but I asked what the price was on the other sensors, since I was thinking it's probably a bad battery on mine (fails only in the cold) and was considering replacing all of them now on the theory that if one battery is bad, the others will go soon. I was told that the sensor itself is $94, and $127 installed. I was also told that it's a sealed unit, and they cannot just check the battery, or replace just the batteries on the other sensors. Since I have almost 30 months left on my CPO warranty, I'll be waiting to see how the other sensors do, but still, I just don't see how your bill got so high - assuming they gave me a correct quote: 4 times $127 is $508, plus your $200 diagnostic fee comes to $708, how did they get to $1053? I have a 2010 non-sport 2.5, do you have different, more expensive sensors than mine? That's the only reason I can think of....

Sorry - I didn't realize yours was a 1.5: from what I have read, there is a difference (the 1.5's are better!)
Actually, I haven't reset the TPMS with the new sensors because I haven't been by the store to have it done:rolleyes:. I am also surprised that they charged that much to tell you the sensors were bad!

Sorry - I didn't realize yours was a 1.5: from what I have read, there is a difference (the 1.5's are better!)
Actually, I haven't reset the TPMS with the new sensors because I haven't been by the store to have it done:rolleyes:. I am also surprised that they charged that much to tell you the sensors were bad!

Was not my car from the original post. I will likely need to have mine reset after some wheel work and saw the other post indicating a difference between 1.5 and 2.x. Hopefully mine won't have issues.