Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X vs Audi Q8 etron with 430 miles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AnOutsider

S532 # XS27
Apr 3, 2009
Grains of salt in hand? Okay...

All-electric Audi Q8 e-tron poised to challenge Tesla Model X in 2015 with 430-mile range? | ecomento.com

Germany’s leading car magazine says the Audi Q8 e-tron will have an electric range of up to 430 miles and as such is expected to go head-to-head with the upcoming Tesla Model X SUV. Whilst both cars will feature four-wheel drive, the Model X is anticipated to have a range of around 300 miles – significantly less than that which Audi is touting for the Q8 e-tron.

While the Model X will cost between $60,000 and $80,000, Autobild reports that a price tag for the Audi Q8 e-tron of less than $130,000 is simply unrealistic. Clearly unrivalled range comes at a premium.

iffy reporting here though:

If this revelation proves to be true then it’s interesting to see that Audi’s pure electric offering will hold position at the very top of market, the same ground the company’s conventional cars occupy. That approach is in contrast to Tesla’s, which aims to offer an affordable electric car costing around $35,000 with a 200-mile range by 2017. That car will most likely be called the Model E.

IMO, this is exactly like Tesla's approach. Start high, work low. It's what Audi has been doing for years (new tech usually comes out on the high end cars like the A8 and such, then makes its way down the model line)

Here's a (n ugly) rendering:
electric-Audi-Q8-e-tron-740x425.jpg

As much as I love Audi, I don't think they'll see it through. If they do, it'll be seriously overpriced (like the R8 line got to be). However, if they can bring 430 miles of range for 130k and level 2 charging ability, I may have to return to the mothership.

It's been said before that Tesla CAN put more batteries/range into the vehicles, but they felt 300miles was the sweet spot. At the very least, this should push Tesla to make more expensive range options available.

I say it's far more likely it's a PHEV and that got missed by the reporter.

That's actually pretty possible.

etron is a phev. period.

Explain? Do you mean the etron brands consists of only PHEVs? If so, that's not true as the R8 wasn't a hybrid (granted it hasn't yet made production)

That rendering looks more like a car than a SUV no?

Article says the rendering are based on the hatch A6

color me skeptical on that Q8 e-tron. As skeptical as Audi was on pure EVs back in 2013 :tongue:. Autobild reports that Audi wants to get to 430 miles by using future battery chemistry. So how can you bring a car to market in 2018 when you haven't figured out the drivetrain yet? There are lots of complex inter dependencies between the pack and the car. Weight, form factor, CoG, cost, cooling requirements, power demand, you name it.

Is anyone able to find the original article about the Audi Q8 e-tron on the Autobild.de website? I can't find it. I can't find any mention of that Audi model anywhere, other than here and the ecomento.com article. As trilsOn said, the picture is obviously a photoshop combination of a Model S or X and some other car. I'm skeptical whether Autobild.de even has something like this on their website.

Is anyone able to find the original article about the Audi Q8 e-tron on the Autobild.de website? I can't find it. I can't find any mention of that Audi model anywhere, other than here and the ecomento.com article. As trilsOn said, the picture is obviously a photoshop combination of a Model S or X and some other car. I'm skeptical whether Autobild.de even has something like this on their website.

I looked as well. Assuming it is right, this car, as mentioned, would be a big push for Audi into EV. The amount of batteries that 430 miles would take up the entire cargo space of an ICE purpose built chassis so I'd assume Audi would need to make a big chassis change much like the i3

Maybe they mean that range once they solve the zinc air battery recharging issue or have been able to develop some other yet developed technology. Did they say the car was coming out in 2030 or 2040?:biggrin:

Seems like most Audi's starting failing miserably around the 4-5 yr mark (electronics failing, abnormal wear and tear on parts that should last a decade, etc). It would be fun to see how this thing acts in a couple of years…. IF it actually comes out.

Everyone keeps mentioning the design... As noted, it's simply a rendering someone created drawing inspiration from the A6 wagon. AFAIK the Q8 (gas or otherwise) has not been revealed.

Regardless of what it (doesn't) look like, IF they can deliver on 430 miles per charge (even if EPA), THAT's what's worth talking about.

Hi there,

This is Richard, deputy editor of ecomento.com. I wanted to quickly answer some of your questions:

The source article from AutoBild is supposed to be in last week's issue of the print magazine and was only teased on the Bild.de website. It seems that nobody really picked that up until now.

The 'e-tron' moniker was originally for concept cars and then subsequently envisaged to label purely electric vehicles. Audi however changed its strategy and stopped the production of the nearly production-ready R8 e-tron (rumors/confirmation is spreading that it will be revived soon though) and announced a new vehicle range with the A3 e-tron plug-in hybrid instead. The company's image as one of the most innovative car manufacturers suffered quite a bit as a result - especially in Germany. The e-tron name does now, however, apply to both pure EVs (the R8 e-tron) and PHEVs (A3 Sportback e-tron).

Bild.de actually stated 700km as the supposed range.

Feel free to contact me if you have any questions!