Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Model X Garage Measurement Requirements

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What volume should be clear in the garage to allow the Model X Falcon Wing Doors and Trunk to open fully?

I am assuming the trunk door could be software limited to height. We don't have confirmation the doors will do the same (and what "outward" clearance does that require).

This affects me because I have a long structural beam crossing the garage at a lower height than the ceiling, and I want to see if I need to/can park 'behind' it or 'ahead' of it. Or if I need to nix the beam. I thought I'd share my current estimates. Disclaimer: I started the cheesy way and took Model X size estimates from some other forum threads (thanks EVNow!) and then estimated measurements from images.

Hopefully others find this useful; please critique and correct and reuse as you see fit.

Screen Shot 2014-01-16 at 5.33.10 PM.png

to-dos: Estimate outward clearance needed if the doors open up to a lower setting on the first hinge. Figure out outward and upward arc of trunk.
If anyone sees the MX prototype close, and has some measuring tape handy, some validation would be awesome :)

(Started a thread because other door threads are about the doors themselves, not the space around them)

Thanks-
Ok so we have another extended height range estimate of 85-88 in.
That also adds up estimating the first part of the wing measuring approx 20 inches.

If the design has sensors great to avoid dings but I would dislike it if they constantly open significantly less in the normal garage position; but need to plan the remodel soon.

My current garage door opener will probably interfere with the Falcon wings, so when my X arrives, I'll probably install the Liftmaster 8500: 8500 - Elite Series® Wall Mount Garage Door Opener
If fits on the side of the garage door rather than the middle of the garage door.

Should free up a bunch of space in the middle of the garage and it's a pretty neat garage door opener with lots of tech features.

The size of the car is a huge issue for my garage as well. I noticed that you have 197" for the length which I believe is the same as the Model S. I always assumed that they would make the Model X longer to accommodate for the extra row of seats and stretch the car a bit, most likely by increasing the overhangs.

Does anyone have any more information on this (I know nothing is set in stone until we see the production ready model)?

My current garage door opener will probably interfere with the Falcon wings, so when my X arrives, I'll probably install the Liftmaster 8500: 8500 - Elite Series® Wall Mount Garage Door Opener
If fits on the side of the garage door rather than the middle of the garage door.

Should free up a bunch of space in the middle of the garage and it's a pretty neat garage door opener with lots of tech features.

My current opener is pretty quiet (and has myQ), but this is awesome! I don't foresee needing to replace mine anytime soon, but I'll definitely be looking into this.

The size of the car is a huge issue for my garage as well. I noticed that you have 197" for the length which I believe is the same as the Model S. I always assumed that they would make the Model X longer to accommodate for the extra row of seats and stretch the car a bit, most likely by increasing the overhangs.

Does anyone have any more information on this (I know nothing is set in stone until we see the production ready model)?

I put this online so people can edit and add to their wish. Right now it's based on estimated and it's estimates all the way down.
Tesla Model X Falcon Wing Door Measurements - Google Drive

Nice!

And Discuducky has his priorities straight.
Maybe this is useful info too for people thinking of installing a roof reel for their HPWC.

Variable opening angles

I am wondering if the side part and the top part of the door can open independently. That would solve both height clearance and make roof racks possible.
Or do you think there is a mechanical linkage guiding the door sections into just one possible opening path?