Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Latest Tesla Motors-Related News (Feel Free To Post Here)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

lx3h

Charged.hk's Director of Education
Here's a piece of news from a Chinese Newspaper.

http://hk.apple.nextmedia.com/realti...40116/52095226

Google Translated:

In his policy address that the government will continue to promote the purchase of environmentally friendly electric car traffic, the Chief Executive and the principal officials would be the first use of new environmentally friendly vehicles.In addition, the authorities will speed the creation of 100 in electric vehicle charging stations and 50 fast charging stations, the fastest in the first quarter tender.

Government sources, the local market at present about 600 environmentally friendly electric cars to walk, to which the government accounted for about 200, are mainly car models.Sources said the government would purchase a temporary, two electric vehicles for the use of the Chief Executive and the Secretary of accountability, and car specifications will be drawn up according to officials rank procurement rules.However, given the existing temporary four electric vehicles for the TD was approved for sale, including the Nissan LEAF, Mitsubishi iMiEV, Renault Fluence ZE and the BYD e6, each model will not be considered for regional heads or heads of state level to use, so unknown whether the higher specifications referenced electric vehicles through other means.

- - - Updated - - -

Tesla demand surges, stock rises 16 percent

DETROIT (Reuters) - Electric car maker Tesla Motors Inc said on Tuesday deliveries of its Model S sedan in the fourth quarter blew past what the company had forecast, sending shares up nearly 16 percent.....

Capture.PNG

http://www.chicagotribune.com/class...show-tesla-20140114,0,2550240.story?track=rss

Thanks to CCT for this excellent video and news.

CNBC Interview with Elon on 14 Jan: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CR1HEA_2erc

"We're putting cars on a boat essentially in about a month.....we're hoping to make our first deliveries in China in March, we're not 100% certain but we're hoping to do that."

"The RHD version of the Model S will be coming out in April, so that's gonna to be important for markets like the UK, Japan, Australia, Hong Kong, Singapore..."

Here we have it from Elon himself. So Mark's prediction is quite accurate that Mainland China might get the cars earlier than HK.

-- wordings from CCT.

More news about the Model E next month!!! I really want to know what Model E looks like, but of course, that will be a couple of years of waiting.

Last edited by a moderator:
If Model S is half the price of Model S and smaller, I doubt Tesla will upgrade too much. But I can be wrong, and I hope I am. Because If the FRT is not extended, then I won't be getting Model S, Model E will then be the one I will fall back on. I hate waiting though.

I hope the Model E got an interior upgrade. Current Model S interior is not luxury enough.

Sonywong, You are fast!

January 22, 2014
A Fair Price
By The Tesla Motors Team
TAGS: CUSTOMERS / MODEL S / STORES /
0 comments
Today we're launching the Model S online design studio in China and announcing the price of the car. For Chinese customers, the price of the Model S with the premium 85 kWh battery pack is 734k CNY.

This pricing structure is something of a risk for Tesla, but we want to do the right thing for Chinese consumers. If we were to follow standard industry practice, we could get away with charging twice as much for the Model S in China as we do in the US. But we're doing things differently, even if it means that some people might look at the price and mistakenly think it must somehow mean the Model S has less value than its competitors.

Given that the Model S won the 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year award, received the highest rating of any automobile in history from Consumer Reports (99 out of 100) and achieved the best possible US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rating, that is certainly not the case.

Instead, the price of a Model S in China is much lower than its competitors simply because we want to treat our Chinese customers just as well as we'd treat customers in any other country. That means the price of a Model S in China is the same as the price of a Model S in the US, adding only unavoidable taxes, customs duties and transportation costs. We're not even factoring in the cost of the free-to-use Supercharger network that Tesla will build across China.

734k CNY is a big risk for Tesla. We know it's unconventional. We know we could charge more. We know that our competitors will try to convince Chinese consumers that our relatively lower price tag means the Model S is a lesser car, when the real reason their car costs more is that they make double the profit per car in China compared to the United States or Europe.

But we decided to take a chance anyway.

We care about fairness, and we care about transparency. We care about advancing the cause of electric cars in China. And we care about doing the right thing for our customers – no matter where they live.

- The Tesla Motors Team

Below is the exact math for 734k CNY:

$81,070 US price
$3,600 Shipping & handling
$19,000 Customs duties & taxes
$17,700 VAT
734k CNY @ 6.05 exchange rate

- - - Updated - - -

That being said, why are you sighing? If China is getting a fair price, Hong Kong might also be getting one

I would love to see someone's estimate of the 60kW price in Hong Kong.

Sonywong, You are fast!

January 22, 2014
A Fair Price
By The Tesla Motors Team
TAGS: CUSTOMERS / MODEL S / STORES /
0 comments
Today we're launching the Model S online design studio in China and announcing the price of the car. For Chinese customers, the price of the Model S with the premium 85 kWh battery pack is 734k CNY.

This pricing structure is something of a risk for Tesla, but we want to do the right thing for Chinese consumers. If we were to follow standard industry practice, we could get away with charging twice as much for the Model S in China as we do in the US. But we're doing things differently, even if it means that some people might look at the price and mistakenly think it must somehow mean the Model S has less value than its competitors.

Given that the Model S won the 2013 Motor Trend Car of the Year award, received the highest rating of any automobile in history from Consumer Reports (99 out of 100) and achieved the best possible US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration rating, that is certainly not the case.

Instead, the price of a Model S in China is much lower than its competitors simply because we want to treat our Chinese customers just as well as we'd treat customers in any other country. That means the price of a Model S in China is the same as the price of a Model S in the US, adding only unavoidable taxes, customs duties and transportation costs. We're not even factoring in the cost of the free-to-use Supercharger network that Tesla will build across China.

734k CNY is a big risk for Tesla. We know it's unconventional. We know we could charge more. We know that our competitors will try to convince Chinese consumers that our relatively lower price tag means the Model S is a lesser car, when the real reason their car costs more is that they make double the profit per car in China compared to the United States or Europe.

But we decided to take a chance anyway.

We care about fairness, and we care about transparency. We care about advancing the cause of electric cars in China. And we care about doing the right thing for our customers – no matter where they live.

- The Tesla Motors Team

$81,070 US price
$17,700 VAT

- - - Updated - - -

That being said, why are you sighing? If China is getting a fair price, Hong Kong might also be getting one

Selfishly speaking, I don't mind getting my Model S a little later than China does because I don't have enough money to pay for the whole car yet. Then again, I can't wait to see Model S rules the Hong Kong roads!

In a dilemma....

Actually, I can't even wait for the Model E, because I want to compare the two before deciding which to get. Like, if the Model E isn't much smaller than Model S, I might get Model E instead because of the "half price".

I'm imagining too much.

sighing not because of the price, is about quite likely we will get our cars later than China (propbably China will get Model S sooner than all RHD markets)

I have decided to stop imagining and come up with some rough observations and a HK Model S price prediction.

Observation 1: Tesla Is Fair

First, we have the official calculations from Tesla,

$81,070 US price
$17,700 VAT

Then we can compare the 85kW spec of Model S sold in China and in the US,
CN.PNG
us.PNG

With US$ 73, 570 add back the US$7,500 Federal Tax Credit, we get US$81,070, the US price stated by Tesla, which means Tesla is being fair.

Observation 2: China's Model S has no supercharger option, 19" Michelin Tire Upgrade, Rear Facing Seats and Paint Armour

From the above images, we can see the basic 85kW sold in China is missing the Supercharger option as well as the 19" Michelin Tire Upgrade, so in fact, Tesla has already earned slightly more for each Model S they sell in China. This could imply that

1. Tesla has no plan to install supercharging stations in China, or
2. Tesla has a plan to install supercharging stations in China, just do not envisage that they can get approval from the Chinese government in the coming years (due to the local industry protection mechanism? BYD? etc.)
3. Both 1 and 2 are wrong, that Tesla has got the approval from the Chinese government to install supercharging stations, but installation is just not soon enough, so maybe Tesla will offer an after-sale upgrade when the infrastructures are ready.
4. Michelin tyres are strictly banned from China......which is very unlikely, but....
5. Maybe rear facing seats are against the safety regulations in China
6. Paint Armor won't help much if you are driving the Model S on the rocky roads of China

Still, I think the customers in China are more than happy, for now.

Prediction : Hong Kong Model S Price

This is my favourite part. Considering that Tesla did not charge the wealthy Chinese customers much higher, there is a good chance that the price of Model S for Hong Kong to be the same, if not less. Let's hope Tesla will balance the possibility of First Registration Tax (FRT) (un)extension and the affordability of the Hong Kong citizens.

Let's say it remains as US$81,070 for the 85kW model, taking HK$7.675 as the middle value, then

60kW : HK$536,482 (=US$62,400 +7,500)
85kW : HK$622,212

Say the Shipping & Handling cost remains as US$3,600 = HK$27,630, then it is likely that the basic models of Model S to be

60kW : HK$564,112
85kW : HK$649,842

But that is only if FRT is still waived by the time you receive your Model S.

May luck be with us!

Last edited:
Observation 2: China's Model S has no supercharger option, 19" Michelin Tire Upgrade, Rear Facing Seats and Paint Armour

From the above images, we can see the basic 85kW sold in China is missing the Supercharger option as well as the 19" Michelin Tire Upgrade, so in fact, Tesla has already earned slightly more for each Model S they sell in China. This could imply that

1. Tesla has no plan to install supercharging stations in China, or
2. Tesla has a plan to install supercharging stations in China, just do not envisage that they can get approval from the Chinese government in the coming years (due to the local industry protection mechanism? BYD? etc.)
3. Both 1 and 2 are wrong, that Tesla has got the approval from the Chinese government to install supercharging stations, but installation is just not soon enough, so maybe Tesla will offer an after-sale upgrade when the infrastructures are ready.
4. Michelin tyres are strictly banned from China......which is very unlikely, but....
5. Maybe rear facing seats are against the safety regulations in China
6. Paint Armor won't help much if you are driving the Model S on the rocky roads of China

Still, I think the customers in China are more than happy, for now.

Don't forget: for a 85kWh the supercharger option is always enabled, and as they don't sell the 60kWh version in China they don't have to show it as an option. What I miss is the duo charger.
Btw paint armor is also not available as an option in Europe, nor the tire upgrade.

lx3h, superchargers will be installed across China. The 85kWh models come with Supercharging as a standard feature (no extra price). Check out the latest blog post from Tesla: A Fair Price | Blog | Tesla Motors

"Instead, the price of a Model S in China is much lower than its competitors simply because we want to treat our Chinese customers just as well as we'd treat customers in any other country. That means the price of a Model S in China is the same as the price of a Model S in the US, adding only unavoidable taxes, customs duties and transportation costs. We're not even factoring in the cost of the free-to-use Supercharger network that Tesla will build across China."

I hope they will say the same for the prices in Hong Kong!

An article about Tesla and EVs in Hong Kong in the recent Bloomberg Businessweek (Chinese Edition). For folks who can read Chinese: http://techorange.com/2014/01/26/tesla-in-hongkong/

It occurred to me that there're a bunch of people who think they know about cars and reject the practicability of EVs completely on the basis of cost, they are simply ignorant of what the Tesla Model S is capable of and how much it can save you long-term. I mean I can understand if a guy in the US or Mainland China says he's concerned about battery running out over long distance driving, but in a tiny city such as HK, that banker guy Sunny in the article needs to be introduced to the Model S.

And it's even funnier how the media react to the earlier fires and a couple "recalls". Even Bloomberg, they either like slamming the new car company, or they just don't understand the whole Tesla deal.

Too many people are ignorant and biased against Tesla for some reason. I guess the traditional auto companies and dealers are behind all these attacks.

An article about Tesla and EVs in Hong Kong in the recent Bloomberg Businessweek (Chinese Edition). For folks who can read Chinese: http://techorange.com/2014/01/26/tesla-in-hongkong/

It occurred to me that there're a bunch of people who think they know about cars and reject the practicability of EVs completely on the basis of cost, they are simply ignorant of what the Tesla Model S is capable of and how much it can save you long-term. I mean I can understand if a guy in the US or Mainland China says he's concerned about battery running out over long distance driving, but in a tiny city such as HK, that banker guy Sunny in the article needs to be introduced to the Model S.

And it's even funnier how the media react to the earlier fires and a couple "recalls". Even Bloomberg, they either like slamming the new car company, or they just don't understand the whole Tesla deal.