Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Greetings from Hungary

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After test driving the Model S in Vienna a few months ago, and spending hours and hours reading through this forum, I placed my order last night. I don't know for sure, but I believe I'll be one of the first 10-15 Model S owners in the country. I still don't know how much hassle the paperwork and insurance will be. How exciting though.

Reactions: gabeincal
We have begun sourcing parts for your Model S.... I'd like to believe the "Delivery in 4-5 months" statement on the order page :rolleyes:

- - - Updated - - -

The specs: 85kWh, blue (body color roof) with black leather, piano black, 19" wheels, tech, security (a must in Hungary), smart air

If you don't mind, please do keep us posted. I am wondering how much the taxes, customs, registration fee, etc. end up being on top of the prices seen under "other Europe". And of course how much hassle the paperwork ended up being...

I tried to calculate registartion fee (tax) once and also the "performance tax". One of these taxes (not sure which) had hybrids as a category, but not EVs, the other had no discounts for non-ICEs. Calculating the insurance should also be "interesting" as I am sure the car is not listed in the standrd online calculators.

Did you look into charging stations in Hungary? I could only find evidence of a very few. Maybe 20 in the country. A couple around lake Balaton, 1 in Miskolc and a few in Budapest - but I see the 1 EV spot close to Gellert tér occupide by ICEs all the time. And as far as I could see that's only a 11kw charger by ELMU.

I noticed this photo posted on the Tesla Model S Owners Club FB page:

10014693_10200734864694078_762740272_n.jpg

Is anyone from this forum the proud owner?

Last edited:
I noticed this photo posted on the Tesla Model S Owners Club FB page:Is anyone from this forum the proud owner?
Sadly, I am not the owner, but damn am I in the wrong business.. the frame of the license plate advertises a website about nail saloons.

Anyway, does "TESLA-5" imply this is the 5th tesla in the country? Or even that there were 4 other TESLA vanity plates registered? The more the merrier...

Sadly, I am not the owner, but damn am I in the wrong business.. the frame of the license plate advertises a website about nail saloons.

Anyway, does "TESLA-5" imply this is the 5th tesla in the country? Or even that there were 4 other TESLA vanity plates registered? The more the merrier...

I saw this car on the road a few weeks ago. I'm quite disappointed I didn't noticed the frame. Funny.

If you don't mind, please do keep us posted. I am wondering how much the taxes, customs, registration fee, etc. end up being on top of the prices seen under "other Europe". And of course how much hassle the paperwork ended up being...

I tried to calculate registartion fee (tax) once and also the "performance tax". One of these taxes (not sure which) had hybrids as a category, but not EVs, the other had no discounts for non-ICEs. Calculating the insurance should also be "interesting" as I am sure the car is not listed in the standrd online calculators.

Did you look into charging stations in Hungary? I could only find evidence of a very few. Maybe 20 in the country. A couple around lake Balaton, 1 in Miskolc and a few in Budapest - but I see the 1 EV spot close to Gellert tér occupide by ICEs all the time. And as far as I could see that's only a 11kw charger by ELMU.

My delivery date will be June 11. My ticket (air) to Eindoven is booked. I will drive the car home from Tilburg. Tesla will help me with arranging temporary license plates and insurance (14 days). They gave me two options: I would either have to arrive a day early and go to some place in person, or I can send them my passport and they will take care of it for me. I'll DHL them my passport a few days before I go. I'll let you know about my saga with the Hungarian authorities.

The ELMU chargers are actually 22kW ones. They opened a few new ones recently. E.ON has a few 11kw stations in Budapest and by M1 (Tata, Gyor). I found a pretty good site that lists all the charging stations in Hungary: Holtöltsek.hu - Az elektromos töltőállomások lapja

Gratula'lok! I hope you have received your Tesla by now. I received mine 3 days ago. So far, I love it! (I live in New Jersey, USA; was born in Hungary, a long time ago.)

The 2nd day I had the car, I was finishing a cappuccino at Starbucks; turned on the Tesla app as I started to leave, it told me that it was hot inside the car, so, I turned on the AC and by the time I got to the car, the car was nice and cool.

Enjoy!

My delivery date will be June 11. My ticket (air) to Eindoven is booked. I will drive the car home from Tilburg. Tesla will help me with arranging temporary license plates and insurance (14 days). They gave me two options: I would either have to arrive a day early and go to some place in person, or I can send them my passport and they will take care of it for me. I'll DHL them my passport a few days before I go. I'll let you know about my saga with the Hungarian authorities.

perhaps a silly question but how will you manage to fly without having your passport with you?

4 more days to go, Hun, best of luck with your trip and the journey back home!

So what will be your service center if something needs fixing? Vienna?

Have you asked / would you ask them when they are planning to open a shop/service center in Budapest?

Oh, and about the chargers in Budapest: i actually see a few of them having a sign now saying parking for EVs only. Which is really good, because I always saw the one at Gellért, for instance, occupied by an ICE car... will be curious if the authorities will be as strict about towing cars off these parking spots as they normally are about parking at the wrong place.

Yes, I'm planning an overnight stop in Linz or Salzburg to charge between Jettingen and Vienna. I should make a decision soon as delivery is only 10 days away from now. :smile:
Hey, Hun, how is your Model S experince so far? How was the trip back home? Did you manage to get all the paperwork done in Budapest? I am really curious to know how they calculated insurance and the annual car tax for you as most of the standard forms are not prepared for a pure EV (BEV), they usually only have categories for Hybrids and LPG cars. If you have the time, it would be great if you could share!

Hey, Hun, how is your Model S experince so far? How was the trip back home? Did you manage to get all the paperwork done in Budapest? I am really curious to know how they calculated insurance and the annual car tax for you as most of the standard forms are not prepared for a pure EV (BEV), they usually only have categories for Hybrids and LPG cars. If you have the time, it would be great if you could share!

Sorry for the delay; I forgot to subscribe to my own thread.

I absolutely love the car (have ~7,000 km on it). It took me about 3 weeks and 6 trips to various offices to get the car registered. I ended up paying ~40k for inspection (vizsgaztatas), ~22k for translation (Offi), ~65k for registration (okmanyiroda). The annual car tax is zero on EVs (I think they used golf cart on the form :) ). Insurance (CASCO) is ~650k / year at Generali.

I've been almost exclusively using the free ELMU chargers (tried 8 of them) as I only get around 6km range per hour at home from the 220V / 6A wall socket. Only once I had to find another charger due to an ICE occupying the spot.